Tags:
  1. Silque

Silque New Member

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Silque, Jul 7, 2008.

Basically, I'm writing a horror/suspense novel. Our protagonist is a man by the name of Covey. A lawyer from Manhatten. He's worked very hard to get where he is at, but it has come at a cost. The people around him, his friends, family and most loved ones are all slowly drifting apart. It's been 7 years since his last vacation, and he deems it time for a weekend away with his girlfriend, to catch up on some of the time he has lost.

Budapest. Eastern Europe. It should've been a weekend filled with magic, romance and adventure. Or at least they hoped...

'Stephen Covey is a lawyer who has spent far too much time concentrating on his job, and not enough time with his beloved girlfriend, Claire. When the two of them see an advertisement for a weekend away in Budapest, they conclude it is just what they need. They had envisioned a weekend of romance, relaxation and togetherness, tied together with a knot of mystique. Eastern Europe was a vast contrast from the bright lights of Manhatten, but it was those very same lights that had long burned a hole in what was once a beautiful relationship. They hoped to find a city filled with vibrancy, amazing architecture and steeped in historical beauty...however, slowly but surely, they start to realise that something isn't quite right. Disconcerting stares from hotel staff. Dark, gloomy streets seemingly appear out of nothingness and an ambience that makes the bones shudder. Budapest, really is a tale of two cities'...

Sound ok to you guys? I'm just spitballing here. All advice, questions, comments are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Silque.

2. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

It all depends on how well you write it, as most people will tell you. But yes, I do like the idea very much. It sounds extremely interesting, if a little similar to something I've read previously. But it's not so similar it sounds plagiaristic, so you're pretty safe there.
    P.S. It's spelt 'Manhattan'. :D

3. JamesFree

JamesFree New Member

As I learned the hard way, we really can't tell you whether or not a plot is "good" or not as it all depends on the writer's ability. The most ridiculous or "poorly written" concepts can be magic in the right hands. This might seem like a frustrating reply, and it was to me when I first heard it but you'll see it makes sense. As far as the plot goes though, I think it would be fine.

4. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

The plot seems a little overdone, but hey, like James said, if it's written well, it could be really cool.

I do like the idea of streets that appear that weren't there before. Have the hotel staff do their "disconcerting stares" for a good reason, something interesting. Something refreshing, which can be done. Or pull it off well, as if it is new.

5. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Don't ask us about concepts. That's for the review area. The concept means nothing without execution- just as, if Leanardo was still alive, saying that the Mona Lisa will be a painting of a woman means nothing without actually showing us the rough draft. It's great that you've got a concept, that's all we can really say.

The burden is now on you. Write it. Write it, and keep writing it, and if it turns out to be crap you'll have written something, which is a lot more than most people on earth. And you'll be a better writer because of it.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)