1. Remas367

Remas367 New Member

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Remas367, Dec 5, 2007.

I'm trying to think of a good idea for a story, but it's coming hard to me. I've writen a couple of one thousand word stories, but when it comes to the long haul, lets just say I don't come up to par.

The point is I have this Idea and I wanted to know what you guys think. One day when I was litsening to Led Zeplin and I looked at the play list, I noticed it had some good chapter starter Ideas. I was just kinda wandering if that's a good idea when you first start out to copy song titles? What are your opnions?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I believe that is called plagerism. I think... I don't know if you can plagerize a song with a piece of literature. I would say make up your own titles, its not that hard.

Titles can be developed by examining the following:

What is the theme of the story (Timeline has the theme of time travel)?

Is there a recurring item, character, or event that continually comes up (The Ring and its Lord in Lord of the Rings)?

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to look for titles I just can't think of them right now.

3. Remas367

Remas367 New Member

My mistake, I dodn't mean to get published and what not, I just meant when your starting out and practicing on short stories...

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    If the title of the song is giving you ideas thats no problem. I've used songs for inspirations many times. As long as you are not simply rewriting the song as a story its not plagiarism.
    If you are then make very, very sure you don't get any money from it, or try to publish it. Then things get messy.
    So go ahead and use them. If they're different enough from what the song is about excellent. If they are basically rewrites of the song, use them for practice and move on.

5. Vivienne Crow

Vivienne Crow New Member

I'm going with Domoviye on this one. I find that I use songs to inspire me when I'm writing. I have over fifteen story idea's written down that have come from a few of the Nickleback Albums. You've just always got to be careful when using things such as songs, movies and other books for inspiration [even if you're not publishing].

Some writer's find it alot harder these days to come up with original idea's because of everything that has already been "done to death", but I say there is still plenty of material out there waiting to be discovered, and if you find it with a Led Zeplin song then more power to you. Just remember inpsiration is one thing, plagerism is another.

I hope that helped.

xxFrostyxx​

6. Remas367

Remas367 New Member

Thanks you guys, I'll make sure not to get money off it then =)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's not plagiarism, as titles can't be copyrighted... and many writers use song titles for inspiration.. the most well-known being mary higgins clark!... you only need permission if you use the lyrics in your story... titles are up for grabs, there being many books and movies out with the same title...

and, yes, song titles and lyrics are a good source of story material... have been ever since songs were first sung... and it works both ways...

8. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

Yeah, song titles are not copyrighted. You can write a book of the same title.