What do You Use to Write? Keyboard? Pen? Other?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by That Secret Ninja, May 2, 2010.

1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I used a notebook for 6 months (had no choice). I love writing, but never again on those things.

Currently i use a laptop with Word 2007. Will be purchasing a new desktop soon which I'll just use the common USB too port over. Somewhat over laptops. Portability is good, but to be honest i just need a nice sunny, tidy room with a computer planted in it.

I also doodle in half a dozen scrapbooks. (One for each story)

2. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

Notebook, mechanical pencil and large white slab of eraser.(completely necessary, let me tell you.)

So high tech I know.
    I do most art on the computer so getting a break from the screen is a necessity. I will edit on the computer though.

3. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

I tend to write in notebooks before transferring it to my laptop, I don’t know why I guess its because I first started writing in any books that had some blank pages. What I like the best about writing then typing is the fact that I can alter what I've already written when typing it up, so it's like a really basic quick edit as I go. If I don’t like what I’d written it changes as I type. I also get to see my writing on paper then constantly on a screen which does wonders for my perspectives and editing skills. You CANNOT edit on a computer screen. I'm not relying heavily on technology for my writing which I like :)

4. Velox

Velox Member

Usually I'll use my laptop or any other computer available to me, as I type faster than I write and it's also easier to make corrections on a computer.

However, I do have a notebook that I carry in my school backpack which I often write small bits of stories or ideas that I may have -- I did end up writing a whole short story once during my Modern World History class, but it still had to be typed and revised afterward.

I also occasionally text myself messages when I don't have anything to write on/with; usually just small notes and ideas that I may have, and then I'll transfer them to a MSWord Doc. when I get home/gain access to a computer.

5. Laxaria

Laxaria New Member

I write on my netbook, because I type a lot faster than I write. :D

6. Mila

Mila New Member

I use a wordprocessor when I'm supposed to be working in the office, and sometimes at home, and sometimes I like to sit in my kitchen with actual pen and paper. I always carry about a notebook and mechanical pencil with me ( I have tendonitis so a pencil is easier to write with ) and there's a pen and notebook on my bedside table because many nights, after being in bed five minutes, I get the next fantastic idea and have to write it down. I even take a notepad into the bath with me....
    And it depends on my mood. Sometimes the writing flows much better with a pencil in my hand, and with a PC I'm tempted to edit as I go which can kill the writing; I'm a compulsive editor.

7. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Mostly I use lots of notebooks and pens. After that I use Word.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Wordprocesser or a notebook and pen. Nothing else is needed.

9. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Pocket notebook for ideas. Any computer with any text editor for writing. I avoid using a word processor, because if I use a word processor I tend to overuse emphasis. Using a text editor I can't do that, so I have to make the words themselves do the work.

10. CaliWriterWV

CaliWriterWV New Member

Mine has to be on notepaper...I know it's bad, but it feels much more natural, you know? But because I always lose my writing, I've switched to Computers. I use Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.

11. digitig

Why? I think a lot of writers find that writing using pen and ink works best for them -- not least because it makes it harder to edit as you go, so it helps silence the inner critic whilst you're writing.

12. CaliWriterWV

CaliWriterWV New Member

Because, usually, people prefer Computers so they can edit easier. I prefer Notepaper, myself, but I don't hear many others saying the same.

13. digitig

The fact that other people do something different doesn't make what works for you "bad".

14. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I start on paper. It winds up on the computer, because it gets too hard tracking down typewriter ribbons.

15. ♥Underground Author♥

♥Underground Author♥ New Member

I use word, but right now I'm trying to get my ideas together so I'm using a lot of paper. Ugh. Hey, check my topic out in the Plot section.

16. hyperspace!

hyperspace! New Member

Blue pen. Legal pad. No computers.

Final destination.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please, this is NOT about software packages. It is about the choice of medium (laptop, desktop, pen and paper, voice recorder, etc.) Posts endorsing specific software have been, and will be, removed.

18. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    Keyboard or Pen

Which do you prefer to use when writing? Recently I've been drawn more towards the pen.

19. My mistake, sorry.

I use a computer because it's a lot easier to get your ideas down and then edit them easily. But also, I barely write on paper at all these days so writing a novel with a pen would give me bad RSI.

20. s.knight

s.knight Banned

I write most drafts with pencil and paper. Theres many reasons for this. One of them being 'good exercise for the brain'.

Though, obviously when it comes to typing up i use a computer.

21. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    Pen first, PC later.

22. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

I write in html with a notepad document. Reason being, I've found the text color and background adds a certain atmosphere to a piece. Parchment coloring, or gray on black is what I prefer.

Occasionally I will do excerpts which are written as journal entries and the like, and depending on how easily it comes to me, I'll write it out on paper instead of by typing. Reason being, it's a form of roleplay and can help get the juices flowing sometimes. The character is writing something by hand... so, I can too.

23. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

I use a pen and notepad to start me off and when I get sick of writing I move onto my laptop. I seem to have trouble starting a new chapter or story straight onto my laptop. Weird.

24. echo_wolf

echo_wolf New Member

I actually handwrote the first draft of my novel with a fountian pen. I have a whole big notebook full of random crap cuz alot of me scenes are on loose leaf while the rest of it is in that notebook. And eventhough i HATE wide ruled paper I used it because I had alot of room to write little notes. When i went back and typed it on Word, I couldnt read it. But my ideas flow when I hand write things. And for orginizing, i use Microsoft office, OneNote. It is amazing!! I have so many pages on it full of useless, easy to change crap. Its where im currently keeping my plot line. Oh and Celtix for scriptwriting. Its great!

25. Kio

Kio New Member

Pencil or Keyboard?

I find that I'm more comfortable typing out stories than writing them out by pencil (I never use a pen, I find it's too permanent). However, I've recently discovered that the quality of my work is far better when I write it by pencil than when I type something out.

I'm just curious; do any of you prefer to write something out on paper or type it into your computer?