1. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

What Genre is Time Travel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by malaupp, Mar 4, 2017.

I've begun the process of looking for literary agents. But I'm already stymied. The best way to look for agents is through the genres they want to represent. But the term "time travel" is rarely used as a genre, so I'm not sure what to look for. Most people will say "science fiction" but my particular brand of time travel doesn't isn't that sci-fi. So I'm wondering what genre you would consider time travel.

Sidenote: my version of time travel is more cerebral with a bit more what you would consider "magic", although it's not referred to as that.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Time travel is a sub-genre that can fall under both fantasy and sci-fi I believe.

Xboxlover and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

That would explain the issue. Thanks!
    Although I guess it doens't make searching for agents any easier.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It depends on the greater elements of the story. There are time travel stories that are sold under science fiction, fantasy, romance, general literature, etc. The time travel element isn't dispositive.

BayView and Simpson17866 like this.
  5. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

In my book, time travel is a fantasy element since my novels are fantasy.
    But, I do imply that the Doctor from Doctor Who travels into my book's world the way he does in the Inheritance Cycle.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

Good to know. Although this is a reminder of how terrible I am at deciding on genre.

Honestly, I never got that into Doctor Who. Crazy, I know.

7. Thomas Babel

Thomas Babel Member

Is the story about the chisel or the sculpture? Naturally, the discussion is going to go between Fantasy and Sci-Fi, but all that really depends on the focus of the story. For instance, H.G. Wells' The Time Machine was actually more of a fantasy than it was a sci-fi. The technology, the concept, was merely a stage for certain themes to take place concerning the patterns of change, "why aren't people reading anymore?" and so on. The technology in that focus is a tool for storytelling.

So, is the emphasis on the chisel (the time machine), or is the emphasis on the sculpture?

Most people think Star Wars is science fiction because it had light sabers and space ships, but that is so not the case.

rktho likes this.
  8. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

One of the most successful romances of the last quarter century had time-travel (the Outlander series). So don't limit yourself to the SF/F world. I agree with @Steerpike that time travel is a story element, not a genre-determiner. What ELSE is going on in your story?

Thomas Babel likes this.
  9. Thomas Babel

Thomas Babel Member

Right. There are elements in your story that allow you to tell the story. And then there's the story itself. The latter, in my opinion, is what determines your genre(s).

10. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

That's a pretty neat analogy. The story would definitely be on the sculpture. The time travel and the bit of magicky stuff involved in it is just a way to get to them to the source of conflict. So I guess it would be closer to fantasy. That's helpful, thanks!