Tags:
  1. thayamoviete

thayamoviete New Member

Novel What is a good title?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by thayamoviete, Sep 20, 2011.

I am writing a mystery/suspense novel and can't think of a title. Any ideas?
    It's mainly about a serial killer in Vancouver, Canada who primarily targets beautiful women. And a obnoxious, male-chauvinistic pig magazine writer who becomes interested in finding the killer. The novel is meant to have a kind of dark, noir style. Set in present day. Any ideas of a title? I was mainly thinking Glass Central, (since Glass is a word to describe Vancouver).

2. Hero-Jean629

Hero-Jean629 New Member

Glass Central is a good title, very good. Hmmm....what about Broken Glass? Or even Broken Glass City or Glass City Central?

When I think of 'glass' I think of Kristallnacht (pretty in my opinion), which is German for "Night of Broken Glass" on a November night in 1938 Jewish shops, synagogues, etc. were attacked by Nazi activity throughout Germany and some parts of Australia. Why not give it a french word? Make it appealing!

3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

A title will come up naturally in your head as you progress and possibly finish writing your novel. I would not worry too much about what the title of your book is just yet until you get everything down. Forcing a title in one whoop will make your writing progression go astray. If you cannot come up with a title by the time your book is done and polished, odds are that you may need to rework something out with what the central premise of your story (not that you need to reedit anything in your final draft) is about. You may need to re evaluate your story idea and theme if you are still having a hard time coming up with a title.

4. Raki

Raki New Member

I like "Glass," but not sure what "Central" is supposed to mean. The idea sounds like a James Patterson novel; maybe you can get some ideas by looking through his works? I'll toss some ideas out ... not entirely creative, not much to go on :) ...

Red Glass
    Blood Glass
    Dark Glass
    Glass Killer
    Murder Glass
    City of Glass
    All Pretty Women Made of Glass
    Glass Women
    City of Fractured Glass
    Pig vs. Killer (kidding)

Good luck!

5. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Don't go for "Dark Water." That title is taken. I'm not sure if you can title that as a novel since Dark Water is a movie. It's about a child who suffers through mysterious problems, such as drowning in water, and getting hurt by demons, inluding his teacher. The problem was that his mother seemed to be ruthless to him, and by changing her attitude to the child, the problem went away. It's a scary and good movie to watch.

6. Hero-Jean629

Hero-Jean629 New Member

Glass Women sounds really interesting actually. Better than what I had.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Just choose any working title. By the time you finish, you will have a much better notion of how to title your story.

If you agonize over it now, you'll still probably change it before ypu're done.

8. Dryriver

Dryriver New Member

hmm...

Glass City
    DarkGlass City
    Glass Maze
    Glass Labyrinth
    Seethrough Central

Imho "Glass Central" is a pretty good title. Its compact and its expressive. Rolls off the tongue quite well.