1. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

First Person Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by pippin1710, Sep 26, 2008.

I have been planning my fantasy series which uses not too much fantasy but it is still has a type of magic and fantastical inventions. I have always assumed that I would write my story in third person but after reading Charles Dickens David Copperfeild I really would like to write in first person. Would this be a problem since it is fantasy. I am trying to aim it for the first book to be young adult and as the series moves on dealing with more intense scenes such as sex and other more adult incidients but it is still a fantasy so i was just wondering if it is some way wrong to write in first person.

Also I have been itching to do the odd chapter from the hero's best friends perspective and also maybe one or two chapters from the heroine's view.

What should I decide could i do a first person fantasy and how would i approach the other characters views. would I have to cut them off or could i possibly just write those parts in their view either first or third person or magically show what they are feeling some how?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

There's nothing stopping you from using several character perspectives in a first person format. I've seen it done before and it didn't particularly bother me. The transition is the key though. If you don't make it a good transition you're going to confuse people (as is true with any switch in POV). And whoever said a fantasy story or any specific genre, is limited to a single POV?

Weigh the options. Is third or first person a more effective means of telling the story you want to tell. What is the story about and what is it's focus. Sometimes first person is a better choice if the story is centered around a single central character, but if you're taking a broader approach such as a group of characters or an overall conflict involving many groups and individuals a third person POV may be better.

I've read some third person stories and wished they were in first person (Without Remorse. Loved it, but all the other character perspectives were a real distraction from the only guy I cared about). Other times I've seen first person used where I think a third person narrative would be more effective (Twilight in particular. I've always felt Meyer could have really improved that novel by not focusing on her weakest character and rather taking a broader POV with so many other crucial characters involved).

There's lots of things to consider, but ultimately it's up to you. My stance has always been write a story you'd want to read and worry about the rest afterwards.

3. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Thanks that helped me alot i think first person will be really good since its the hero's story but the main conflict is with his best friend. ( best friends since childhood) but the series is about how they split and go their opposites way painfully untill one day their lives are crossed again. So First person will really help bring out how they are feeling and in the end I think it will work but is it cheasy to have an opening page about how this is my ( main hero's) story and how it all started to begin blah blah blah I havnt seen it in many fantasy books of late and i find it really refreshing it is sort of used in my favorite video game (not at the start oddly enough) just wondering if this is cliche at all