What else are you creative with?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cutecat22, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

It is fascinating because you are not only taking photographs, but you have to manage, pose, and keep happy a real live person, while at the same time controlling the lighting, the set, props, and her clothing - or lack of it :)

Oscar Leigh and T.Trian like this.
  2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i gave up writing commercially back in '95, when my first completed novel [others were in the works] and first screenplay were on the verge of publishing/production deals, with an agent who believed passionately in my work... having had an 'epiphany' of sorts then, i left all my old life's work behind and divested myself of 'self' along with my home and all possessions, eventually became just 'maia'--a world-wandering weirdo who did nothing for money and helped those in need of whatever she could do, for free...

so, as far as i know, the novel was never published... if my agent took it over as his own [as i said he could do], it's of no interest to me...

the only books i've published in this life are available for free at:
    http://www.free-ebooks.net/profile/290871/maia

love and hugs, maia

3. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

does anyone have any examples showcasing the best of their creative work? photos, drawings, animations, models etc etc

i did want to get into sculpting, would love to see some examples of those.

4. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Years ago all I was really into was making music. Here's something that remains thanks to somebody that uploaded something I did onto Youtube:

Malisky and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

I put 100% of my creativity into writing.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I've done a wide range of things that could be considered creative. I enjoy the culinary arts, photography, painting, model building. I have played saxophone, repaired/rebuilt furniture, and painted tee-shirts. I also enjoy recreational programmings and the occasional mathematical proof. And, of course, writing.

Naturally, some of my creative efforts work out better than others. But that too is an important aspect of creativity.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

There are a few old recordings from a few years back on my band's SoundCloud page (the bottom link in my signature), but we've moved on a bit from those days. Presently we're recording new material, but we still have a few vocal tracks left before it goes into mixing / mastering, so it'll be a few months still before the new songs are ready to be released.

In the old songs I played the guitar parts, wrote and arranged the songs, and also wrote the lyrics. With the new ones it's the same deal except I also played the drums, which was fun for a change.

8. bspn

bspn New Member

I have a good imagination so I like to get creative with everything, but most of the time with food and my guitar.

9. caters

caters Active Member

I play the piano and I knit. I also pretend that my dolls are my children to help me prepare for when I have children for real if I ever have them.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Simultaneously? I'm duly impressed! ;)

A man called Valance likes this.
  11. caters

caters Active Member

No not simultaneously.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

but wouldn't that be a youtube 'viral' phenomenon!

13. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Make it five. :D I'm self taught on both, having started on a practice pad and a cheap snare when I was 10 and having picked up the guitar in college.

I also played a number of brass instruments in my youth - French horn, baritone horn, bass trumpet. In my senior year of high school, our brass instructor offered to sell me a beautiful bass trumpet for $75. I had just hocked part of my drum set so I could go tp my senior prom, so I had to turn him down. Still sorry I did.

I put the drums away when our children were small, because we turned the basement into a play area for the kids. A few years later, a minor flood ruined them. I went a good 15 years without playing them. One Sunday, while my daughter was still living at home, I was out running some errands. I went into a music store just because I hadn't been in one for so long. In the drum department, there was a set of Roland electronic drums set up for display with a huge sign reading, "Hands off!" But there as a fellow in his twenties sitting there with headphones on, whaling away. When he saw me, he stopped, pulled off the headphones, offered me the sticks and asked, "Wanna a crack at 'em?" I figured that meant the sign was being universally ignored, so I sat myself down. It all came back to me! (Well, actually, I later realized it hadn't really all come back to me and that there was a lot of rust to scrape off, but at that moment it felt it had all come back to me.) I went back outside to my car, closed the door, and cried.

A few months later, I bought a new set of drums. And when my daughter moved into a community residence, we refinished the basement and turned it into a music room. My drums, acoustic 12-string, acoustic-electric Ovation and amp are all down there. I also later bought a set of electronic drums so that my need to play would never overwhelm my wife's need to not have to listen. In a few years, when we sell the house, I will sell the acoustic drums and keep the Rolands.

T.Trian and minstrel like this.
  14. caters

caters Active Member

What, knitting and playing the piano at the same time?

I often see 9 month olds playing on a scaled down keyboard like my casio that only goes from great octave to 4th octave and 1 year olds playing on a life size piano and that is just photoshop stuff. No 1 year old could play the piano and no 9 month old could play an electronic keyboard.

2 year olds on the other hand can play an electronic keyboard and start to learn how to play the piano.

15. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I've been playing the piano for a few years now, though I'm not too creative with it... :(
    A couple of other creative interests of mine are game programming and web site development, though only as spare-time hobbies.

16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I dabble in making electronically generated music, though I am still not all that good at it. Using a laptop keyboard for all the instruments is a pain in the ass.:p I drum in the real world, but not in a band or anything. I enjoy it though and am alright at it, been playing since I was 13 and still learning more at 29. Still more left to learn there in future. I can draw alright I suppose, though mostly graphite and charcoal. Writing the big obvious one.:p I have a beat up B.C. Rich Warlock, and pretended I am a rockstar. That went out the window when I concluded I have stupid fingers. Occasionally I will pick the old thing up and try to make something come out that sounds like music. Learned to play Johnny Comes Marching Home a few months back.:p Where I really shine is finding the weird shit on the web, and there is an unfathomable amount of weird out there.:p

A man called Valance likes this.
  17. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

I tried to study game design in college, and although I failed out of the major, I still have an interest in making computer games. I've also done a bit of nature photography: [​IMG]

Technically, I can play the piano as well, but I failed in all my efforts to compose new pieces or even improvise off of old ones. All I know how to do is play what's in front of me.

18. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

I made a miniature model of Pre-9/11 Lower Manhattan once. It was huge:

[​IMG]

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

This is the old one, by the way. I made a smaller and more accurate one which I'll update later.

20. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I'm attempting to crochet (again), but it takes so damn long to make a blanket! I doodle sometimes.

Most my creative hobbies all are in the realm of "used to" or "going to". Haha. I had some success with music while a schoolgirl (clarinet and piano), so that's the biggest one, other than writing. I keep buying more instruments and never learning them. However, I'm moving soon, out of my city apartment to small town Texas, and I have this hopeful image in my head of actually playing my oud outside on a patio and/or by a fire pit.

21. RavenHeart

RavenHeart Member

How wonderful to find so many wonderful creative people with such varied talents! ❤️

I play several instruments - piano, guitar, xylophone - but none of them well and I have been known to sing.

I enjoy illustrative drawing and sketching, painting and creating mixed media images. I also create digital art and am a bit of a Photoshop addict! I love sculpting and would like to learn pottery, especially how to use a potters wheel (I've had a go on one twice and its trickier than it looks!) Also make digital and stop motion animations, if I ever get time.

I love photography but, though I like landscape and wildlife, my real love is portraiture, so I don't get to dabble too often as I lack willing victims ;)

Technically I can sew, though I'm disinclined too, but I would like to learn to knit and crochet.

cutecat22 likes this.
  22. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Even I've played a guitar - and a violin, piano, keyboard, saxophone, flute ... but when I say 'play' I only had lessons in the guitar and I gave up after three attempts because I could not get to grips with reading music. So now I just listen to lots of different music. Although I still have the violin ...

23. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Piano music - done right - is fantastic. I would say, for starters, log on to youtube and listen to almost anything by James Oldrini or Ludovico Einaudi.

24. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I have an interest for Graphic Design. I have a drgee and have created some band Logos and album covers. Somewhere Alice Cooper has a shirt I designed

marshipan likes this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I doodle a bit. My wife thinks I should write an illustrated children's book. I told her I'd need to study art a little bit more to do that, and she said "No, don't study! You draw like a four year old, most people can't really do that at your age."

So... a compliment?

I also design custom radio control car chassis on some free 3d modeling software I picked up. When money allows, I fully intend to have them printed to see if they work.

But designing them is free.