What frightens you?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MoonWriter67, Jan 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Tornadoes. Being stuck in an unsafe place when they hit. I've been in that situation and as a result I panic massively if it even starts to rain while I'm driving. I have tornado nightmares. Bloody garish and they always kill people that I love. Or I'm terrified they will at the time.

That and someone hurting my children. I would probably kill myself if something every happened to them.

2. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Inevitability. Coraline scared me(it doesn't any more, though) at first because of the inevitability of the Other Mother tightening her net around Coraline. Basically, Coraline simply cannot escape from her. Yes, I know Coraline escaped; I didn't count on the cat.

Gore doesn't scare me that much(unless its in films); many people were struck by the scene in Skulduggery Pleasant:Death Bringer when Darquesse lets her eye get gouged out(or was it exploded?) by Lord Vile in order to experiment with pain and injury. Lots of people felt it was way too gory to be put in a children's book. Myself, I was struck as well, but it was more at Derek Landy's remarkable writing talent; he added significantly to Darquesse's personality with a few short sentences, in an aerial fast paced battle no less/

I've always been a sucker for the strange and terrible style creatures. Cthulhu remains one of my favourite monsters for that reason. Again with Skulduggery Pleasant, there's a character who writes about fascinating and horrific monsters, such as a creature who can kill a person and teleport a thousand miles away instantly. Also, while we're still at that series, the Grotesquery and Faceless Ones were pretty awesome, too.

3. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I didn't mean to indicate that I died in any way, just that once you are unconscious there is no pain.

4. Helmsing

Helmsing Member

The Thing.
    To me I always find villains or monsters to be more terrifying if the MC is unable to justify what they are dealing with. In The Thing the MC does not know who to trust and doesn’t fully understand what he is facing. This creates more than just shock value at the image and actions of the monster but also always creates a very tense atmosphere because he didn’t know who to trust and therefore felt isolated.
    Also Dead Space....alone...in the dark.....unique monsters. Check it out.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

In real life, my biggest serious fear is not having control over my body or my physical space. I don't fly because of the TSA, for example. I'm not claustrophobic in situations like crowded football games, but I get really panicky about the idea of being in a situation where my right to be 100 percent in control of my body/space is gone and I can't assert for myself. I'm threatened by any other type of powergrab on my life, but it's the worst with physical boundaries.

Trivial phobias: cockroaches. (Esp. as I live in Florida where they're huge) And the dark.

In fiction and movies, I'm the most scared by evil forces where I can't see it, and I don't know what it wants or what it will do, but I do know that it's not natural and it's after the protag. Situations like this, where you have to use your imagination to fill in the blanks with your worst fear, are far scarier than any description a writer or director could feed to me.

6. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Member

Yeah, Pet Semetary and The Shining play on that as well, where suddenly your dad or your brother start acting weird and then try to kill you. It's that feeling of someone/ something you inherently trust and associate with comfort turning on you. Or just plain people. No vampire or werewolf in a movie can beat how evil real people can, and have been. Read the news for things that will make your heart break and your vitriol boil. That there are murders, rapists and psychos on the same roads as me, in my supermarket, on my road...that scares me.

OT: First time hearing of skullduggery pleasant- looks extremely cool, I want to read the books now!

7. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

Balloons floating away, germs, plumbing, small enclosed spaces, being trapped in a dark room filling up with water (I have a lot of nightmares about that).

8. Betrayal

Betrayal New Member

I think that Japanese horror basks, they look very white, they have horns and usually red hair with markings of the devil over them. And often in their mouthpiece the teeth is holding a bloody knife.

I somehow find red things that glow in the dark creepy.

Moans and whispers are quite creepy.

9. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Monsters in human form scare me the most. Like all the evil humans are capable off. I'm not much into gore though, just doesn't interest me (so thriller rather than horror)

10. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I've been a street medic for years. I've spoken to people with horrendous injuries immediately after the incident and they don't remember it later. It's like the brain throws a switch when the pain is too great to either bear or remember. One of my close friends, a medic was directing traffic recently at an accident when an 18 wheeler backed over her. It literally ground her left arm off as the back wheels turned on top of her arm, all gone up past the elbow. She a was alert and oriented, she has never mentioned pain.

I've been shot, stabbed in the face with a crowbar, gored, beaten, burned and wrecked several motorcycles. Pain from trauma differs from say the pain from a dentist in which you anticipate the pain. for example, when you get hit really hard in the face, the sensation is not pain, it's more like a loud ring. the pain comes later... if you survive.

11. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

I didin't see the crowbar coming there! I don't remember anything the day i was impaled on a fench, fell from a tree.

12. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

I didin't see the crowbar coming there! You seem like a kinda tough guy, I once fell from a tree when I was about ten years old. Under was a fench and I fell on it, impaled me "kinda", I got a couple of flesh wounds, got six fine scars today... Rambo returns!

What frightens me is people that a mentally disturbed, who commit sick deeds willingly. I like if they we're normal kinda people before and became into what they are today.

13. bree

bree New Member

Been a horror freak for yrs, but not much frightens me in books and film like when I was a younger person and just thirsting for scary stuff. In reality-death is scary-but so is life, and especially all the what ifs our imagination can conjure. I`d have to say I am afraid of the what ifs and that can make fantastic fiction. And demon voices in film give me a chill-dont really like that. And Linda Blair walking upside down and backwards down the stairs in the Exorcist. Freaky stuff.

14. Match

Match New Member

Bats, death, heights. Very human things. That's why Poe always scares the shit out of me. He plays on human fears and insecurities. Lovecraft was good, but no Poe.

Advice: It's ALL about the atmosphere you create. The scariest thing on earth can be ruined with bad delivery.

15. Bran

Bran New Member

I most fear losing the person who is closest to me. Or seeing her injured in some way shape or form.

16. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

scared of the following:

death to someone close to me
    spiders
    heights
    the whole aspect of religion and how death feels like

17. daydreams

daydreams Member

Ghosts, things which hide in the shadows, unfamiliar sounds.

Also, things like Ringu, The Grudge, and similar. Extremely efficient on the screen anyway.

18. miss sunhine

miss sunhine New Member

Don't like clowns or heights or spiders (or any thing with more than seven eyes)
    But deffo spiders and...men and um...spidermen.
    The unknown.

19. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

Oh wow, with the amount of horror movies I watch there's a list. Spiders, burning to death, all sorts of creepy stuff. But the scariest things, hands down, are hauntings. Ghosts freak me out. Don't ever joke about my house being haunted, because I will sleep with the light on for a week. I absolutely fear the idea of haunting by ghosts/demons. Even if the ghosts are friendly human spirits. :eek:

20. Hellchoseme

Hellchoseme New Member

I snigger at people who say "Public speaking" as I've never had stage fright and like to boast it. :D
    I realy shouldn't because my fears are ridiculous.
    The ghasts in the video game minecraft
    Being disembowled. (Told my sister that once and she said "What's the big deal? All you'd have to do is scoop it up and put it back in." I nearly fainted.)
    My computer doing things I don't understand.
    For some reason, calenders that have a picture, regardless of what that is.
    When you play a video game and it glitches and you fall through the floor into an abyss of nothing (that one has me quakeing in fear)
    Being outside and falling upwards into outer space.
    Outer space in general.
    Spiders.
    Sharks.

Anything else in the world (snakes, lizards, clowns, graveyards ant night, heights, etc.) has no effect on me what so ever.

Please note I'm not kidding at all.

21. riggbren

riggbren New Member

The thing I'm most afraid of is being paranoid. When I'm alone in my room at night, a mention of the word paranoid or a mental disorder will make me panic. Also, when I was a little kid I was always terrified of aliens.

22. Erato

Erato New Member

Within the next month I get to learn how to disembowel someone with a spearhand and a windmill block. Heh. Seriously, that idea doesn't scare me all that much, because it's kind of far-fetched. The short answer is, people are scared by things that they think might actually happen. The long answer is, it's more complex than that. For instance, I used to be terrified of taking a shower because (literature and films being what they are) I really thought some Nazi in a gas mask was going to come in and release a blue toxic dust into the shower stall, so I would wind up singing to myself, to the annoyance of everyone else in the house. I also happen to be scared of dogs and poisonous snakes and things that move in the dark. For instance the idea of a half-lit room is spooky to me because I can imagine movements of shadows. Total darkness is less frightening.

23. Jethelin

Jethelin Member

HAHA evil genius....I agree with DeMarco with his fear of spiders and clowns and this is just evil. I picture it standing in a dark forest with an evil grin holding a balloon where you can see the spiders insides crawling over each other. But just as shadows inside. Can't see the details of them until the balloon pops. urgggg I would most likely freak out.

24. Daniel_Allan

Daniel_Allan New Member

I read everything, and so discovered after cleaning my book collection that there were quite a few enjoyable books in the horror genre. Cthulu, yes. But you need to read:

"Mirror - Graham Masterton" - Scared me so much that I put my book down in broad daylight in public... twice.

What's really scary is building a real world with real people and real people reactions. The supernatural event (if that be your source of horror) really hits hard--especially the way Masterton writes so casually. No fancy delivery

Also: "Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box"

25. Daniel_Allan

Daniel_Allan New Member

I saw a ghost 8 years ago. Still don't know what to make of it (as I'm skeptical of many things). I made my buddy sleep in my bed that night, then I used his couch until I moved houses. Me and some other friends used a Ouiji board in that room some years later (because I later bought the house for family reasons). These friends didn't even know I was half-Maltese, yet they managed to spell my grandfathers surname. M I Z Z I. It's not a common name and I wasn't even touching the board. I refused to participate but it kept on telling me it needed me to relax. I haven't entertained the idea since.