1. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

What gets you in writing mode and what holds you back?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mallory, Dec 20, 2010.

Does anyone have special techniques to get your mind in creative mode? What really gets your creative juices flowing? On the flip side, what types of things hinder creativity?

2. heidilynnmarie

heidilynnmarie New Member

i find inspiration where ever possible. When I'm in a writing mood(sometimes forced) I play music to fit that mood. On the flip side, my creativity has been hindered for a long time by terrible circumstances. Now, they feed my creativity. tough question

3. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Kingdom Hearts songs lol, Random day dreaming or drawing.
    Bad days at school...Laziness.

4. Edward G

Edward G Banned

As far as getting an idea for a story, I don't seem to have any control over that. Those ideas come when they will and always seem to catch me unawares.

However, when writing a rough draft, when creativity needs to flow, I find I have to be stable in my life and in a relatively good mood. I have to be able to get my mind off my own life in order to create those alternate worlds we create in stories.

At other times, I do research. For example, where we are staying now while we wait to move into our new house, just down the road is a deserted mansion. It's all rundown and wrecked by Hurricane Katrina. It was never restored. It sits on about forty acres of weeds and moss-draped trees and is completely open--there are no people around to stop us from going up to it and into it.

Inside we’ve found old water-soaked photographs and papers and files. We’ve explored it and photographed it, and it is the most amazing "haunted" house I've ever seen. To find such a place in reality and not just in the movies, and to have complete freedom to walk around it without anyone bothering us has been a tremendous blessing to me as a writer.

Since we are living in transit, I can't write. I can't get creative; I'm not stable, but I've collected photos and research on that place that I know one day will feature in a novel or short story, or both. So, I guess I'm feeding my creativity now rather than using it.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

hmm John Barrowman music videos right now lol Aside from that I find switching off harder than switching on. I want to get back to meditating over Christmas and exercising both help with switching on and switching off.

6. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t Contributing Member

People hold me back. It sounds... uh, shall we say pompous? But it's true, in a roundabout way. I can't write at all if somebody is within twenty feet of me; I get really defensive of what I'm writing and keep an eye on them all the time. This really cuts down on writing flow.

On the opposite side, looking at images or drawings on google or deviantart that are related to my topic are often inspirational.

7. Naiyn

Naiyn Contributing Member

The best way for me to get into writers mode? I sit down at the keyboard and think about the scene or chapter that I'm about to write-- the VPC, plot, setting all of that. Then I put myself in the VPC's shoes and visualize them acting and reaction to the world around them. Once I feel I understand all the factors involved in shaping their behavior, the writing comes easy.

The best way to get me out of writers mode, is simply a knock on the door, a phone call or text or some such thing. Even if it's only a ten second distraction, I have a hard time finding my way back.

8. Speedy

Speedy Contributing Member Contributor

There is only one true source that gets me into a creative mode. it's called routine. As much as i could say music, games or books, at the end of the day i am most productive if i stick to a strict routine. Once you get into a pattern and repeat the process for a few days/weeks, it's easy. Just like exercise, or diet or any other occupation and so fourth.

The most difficult issue with procrastination arises with a thing called the internet. I'm becoming better with it i must admit.

9. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté Senior Member

Routine is the one thing I wish I could have. :(

As with getting me in the swing of things... I use music videos too, and I have specific songs I attribute to each project, before too long my brain automatically clicks into one after hearing the other. :)

And people, too, hinder me. Right at this moment my brother's being his annoying, miserable self and my parents aren't being much better... I can't 'hide' from bad atmospheres in my writing, much as I want to... and I can't write when people are talking to me.

The Internet probably helps as much as it hinders, since it is my source of inspirational pics, research, and music videos... unfortunately, it's also my source of Facebook. 0_o

10. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante Member

Work. I sit in a box with bits of paper for 6 hours. Cubicles are like sensory deprivation chambers.

Walking is a good way to keep my train of thought focused on an idea.

11. Masroefa

Masroefa Member

Usually, I dont have a specific mood when I start to write. An idea just pops in my head at any given moment and its the only thing I can think about until I get it out. What hurts me most times is it often comes out in awkward moments hours before I have free time to get it out. So from the moment I get the idea, the story developes in my head (something I cant stop) and by the time I get to getting it on paper or typing it, I have lost most of the ideas the original story had :(

12. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It depends on what I'm writing and my frame of mind. Right now, with what I'm working on, I find that listening to Dvorak's New World Symphony helps quite a bit. At other times I've relied on JS Bach, JC Bach, Mozart or Respighi. Never Beethoven, though, because his music is so majestic it commands you to listen.

13. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

This is exactly what happens to me. Ideas just pop at the most awkward moments, especially when I have a lot to study or I'm preparing for a test from Physics. Like right now :D

And also other stories get me in a writing mode. I just get embarrassed that I haven't written a word whole day so I start writing. Or some cool trailers for movies or some episode of Bones or CSI :D

14. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Coffee and classical music...when my coffee is gone, my will to write slowly leaves me....

holds me back? the feeling that it is all a waste (I want to be a published author some day, and we all know how hard that is)

15. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

Whatever can get me in the mood to write, but is has a habbit of happening when I should be doing something else...
    I'm not sure what brings me out of it to be honest. Sometimes I just grow tired of it.

16. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I'd have to say that for me, the biggest thing that holds me back is the fact that it's hard to finish a novel once you get to around the 20-30K point. It's not that I lose interest, but I'll get some other, cool idea and I'll want to rush off and start that. I guess it's most fun, in general, to map out fresh ideas, and so older projects get shelved. But I'm trying to beat this problem!

17. Evinus

Evinus New Member

I usually get inspired by movies or books. Or sometimes I'll see something someone does and I'll just think of a character that might exaggerate that action and how they would live. Sometimes it really is a mood too. I remember one day I sat down and wrote 10k in one sitting and other days when it was difficult to even manage three pages.

Most often I get held back when I think my writing is getting bland. I really like to be able to inspire myself. So if I read something of mine and think it's lacking something I can get pretty put off the entire piece for a little bit.

18. Jonalexher

Jonalexher Contributing Member

You just defined one of the major effects of exercise (it also changes your mood to a good one) I'm gonna start exercising every morning, at least 20min, I should. I'm fit, but lately I haven't been playing any sports which I love, or doing any exercise at all. I know it will make me more creative, but I get lazy haha. I'm considering on starting to exercise regularly again, it's proven that it makes you happier and more creative :D

19. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

Watching some good television always gets my creative juices flowing. What hinders my creative juices is typically writing forums! xD Or more specifically, anything that tries to tell me that my story has to be a certain way or else. Frankly, nothing kills writing more than a box.

20. Cornflower

Cornflower Member

anything pops a story idea into my head: Disney movies (My one story Anne in Ellabur was inspired by Disney's Enchanted-the one with Timothy Spall and the review of Enchanted by a youtuber.) Nancy Drew inspires the work I'm trying to work on.

21. UberNoodle

UberNoodle Senior Member

I have a few walking routes which take about an hour to complete. Here in Japan, you can walk the streets at midnight and not worry about never making it home again. In that quiet, I brain storm and work through ideas. When I come back, I either start jotting things down or confide in my dictaphone and sleep on it (not the dictaphone; it would break). With all those creative juices conveniently and safely stored, I find I have even more to add the next day.

What hinders creativity and productivity? Ironically, Internet forums. I just love to debate and can't refuse a good one. Then, one things leads to another and suddenly I'm watching puppy videos on YouTube at 3 am.

That dries creative juices like nothing else. And movies. Sad to say it, but they make my creativity just as dry. Not all films do so, but the majority of them do. They are so distilled to the bare essentials, and so literal.

Oh and video games. That's why I quit ... kinda.

22. rainy

rainy Senior Member

I can't say I usually have an issue wanting to write. But if I'm stuck on a particular spot, I have two different methods of figuring it out. First is the typical response of "music". Especially if it's the backing to a long, aimless drive. The second would be taking a hot shower LOL. . .I'm pretty certain it's that thirty minutes of no one bothering me, but I create my best schemes for both real life and fictional worlds while getting ready for work. :)

//R

23. Pook

Pook Member

What gets you in writing mode and what holds you back?

Me and Me