What got you into writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VisiblePoltergeist, Jun 27, 2010.

1. thesilverdepths

thesilverdepths New Member

What got me into writing was, in a bundle, reading :-D I noticed this rang true for some of the other posters on the thread too

After reading many novel series I was already pondering my own literate ability, then moving on to the (slightly informal) fan fiction, seeing people pour and craft their stories on subjects I was really familiar with had me wanting to write too! When I read I make sort of like a movie in my head, scene by scene. From there I just tested the waters a little bit (short stories i'm too embarrassed to post ha ha) and here I am! :D eager to share, read and give insight to this awesome site!

some of the stuff i've written about: Warcraft (yea!), Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Warhammer 40k

2. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I've always read, and there came a time when I was 12/13 when I started taking an interest in creating stories as well as reading them. I got an opportunity one lunchtime, sat in the school library. My friends were all in detention (can't remember why), and I'd not brought my book with me to read, so I decided to nick some printer paper and start writing. It was utter bobbins. But I've stuck with it, and I'd like to think I've improved.

3. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Around the 6th or 7th grade I fell in love with a 2D Isometric MMORPG called Dransik, which was later renamed Ashen Empires. I played this until I was almost a senior. Hell I still log on every so often and play. However during the 7th Grade I wanted to write a story based on my character. I wanted to write his background and how he came to be 'evil'(I remember actually creating that character to pk, but I was never good at that) The stories were horrible. But its how it started. I created some of the biggest Mary Sues ever.

So I reworked my stories and just fell in love with writing. I had always enjoyed reading, loving the Harry Potter books. On Christmas while i was in 8th(or was it 7th? To behonest i really just don't know anymore. It was before highschool though) Grade I recieved the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore from my mom. Its then I really started to write.

As I continued to play Ashen Empires I also realized how empty the back story was. You cuold stumble across old books or talk to NPC's and you can learn a bit of the history of the land.(there was a point where I knew almost the entire mythos of the game. Which still wasn't to much.

Its then I realized my love of the idea of creating a fantasy world and filling with all sorts of stuff. I had even imagined my own fantasy world where I knew everyone like the back of my hand.

Thanks to this game I discovered I loved writing and everything about it. Except for grammar... but thats a different story.

4. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Um... I don't actually remember. I alway liked reading though, so I suppose that has something to do with it. I can recall writing my first story, and I enjoyed that, so that made me write more.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

reading...

if you mean writing for others to read, in high school... i was the newspaper's editor, wrote a weekly gossip column and created themed crossword puzzles... if you mean writing for a living, it was an idea for a novel partly based on dramatic personal experience... doing that led to writing for clients of a writing consultant business that i started to help fund my writing career and to just about any other kind of writing you can think of...

...from anything and everything/everywhere...

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Well, I've been writing as long as my parents can remember so I don't exactly know what got me into writing. I've always been a bookworm so I guess that helped, and because I'm so quiet and shy, writing was/is the only way I could/can express myself.

7. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Writing was the best way I could find as a child to shape my private dreams and fantasies, create worlds, and to show off at the same time... Always had a terrible need for world domination in secret/ego problem...

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

When I was little, I didn't really write with paper or a computer. I just walked every day up and down the streets with my grandparents (who took walks every morning for thirty minutes) and I'd just think up of characters and storylines to entertain myself.

Then I read Harry Potter and wanted to be a published writer.

9. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

I can't tell..
    I never consciously decided to write a book, or short stories, but the need has been with me for as long as I remember.

I was the same.
    I made up all kind of things. Stories, songs in a language only known by me,.. Growing older has definitely killed a bit of my imagination.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Yep. Exactly. =D

In my fantasy world, there was this massive divide seperating one population of people away from the other, connected only by a small, rickety bridge.

I never was able to figure out who the folks on the other side was. :(

11. nickbrookes1991

nickbrookes1991 New Member

When I first throught about writing was about 2 years ago, I had a an event in my life when I died for about 50 seconds, after returning to life from a stranger in the street, I decided I would put my feelings and experiences to words, after then writing all this I decided that I would start that as a book and carry on.
    I got my starting ideas from this but know I get my ideas mainly from thoughts that come into my head and books/tv/tv shows that I read/watch, this helps me a lot.

12. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

Ever tried crossing the bridge yourself? ;)

13. ItsBriannaHere

ItsBriannaHere New Member

Reading different stories and coming up with ideas.

14. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Well, I was writing ever since I was really little. I'd finish a short story, beam with pride, then store it away for a while. Then, usually a year later, I'd look back at it and say, "Boy, I was totally lame!" I was, considering my first story ended in the "It Was All a Dream" cop-out just 'cause I was too lazy to figure out a plot. After facepalming at my lameness I'd usually try again, and the cycle continues even today.

One of my goals in life is to create a truly full fantasy universe *Sigh*. I never find the time, but that's a different thread.

15. orange

orange New Member

My mother typing. She was always computer-oriented, and we didn't have the internet until I was about 12. I loved the sound of fingers clicking on a keyboard. And I was obsessed with reading and making up stories with my Barbies. It was kind of just a matter of x + y + z = writing.

Yeah, I was a super-cool kid.

16. RubiBell

RubiBell New Member

I have no idea really. I've just always had a big imagination. I remember being like, 4 or 5 and me and my best friend used to make little books about some world we created called butterfly land.

17. litchickuk

litchickuk New Member

reading got me into writing i suppose. You can never find that perfect book because you need to write it first! i also have a love of words and a very active mind that spits out new ideas and works on the old ones!

18. Anonymouse33

Anonymouse33 New Member

I could blather you with all these stories about being read to as a child before bed and so on. Truth of the matter is, I wasn't. I read because it was an escape from life, an oasis that I could escape to and being anything I wanted to be. I read Moby Dick when I was in the 4th grade for the first time, and from there it sky rocketed.

I got into RPG's as I got older. So, I've been writing, and sharing fanfics for years. I'm a creative individual. I paint, I draw, I see the world as something alive. It's beautiful. From the homeless man on the corner to an earthworm coming out of the ground. To the weathered, ancient headstones that've sat for over a century without care or human contact.

The rain, the clouds, the grass, the trees... I could go on, but I wont. The reason I picked up writing/rpging is the same reason I picked up reading. Because it gives me a creative escape to what is life.

19. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

Quote: "Because it gives me a creative escape to what is life."
    I
    V
    (Entry--Portal)?
    Not a critique but just my take on your excellent preceding description.;)

As for me: I guess it's the capturing of some of the thoughts and moments in life that really stand out from the mundane everyday throng, and preserving them for the pleasure of others. Reliving them yourself in the process ain't too bad either.

20. Anonymouse33

Anonymouse33 New Member

Lol Sometimes I ramble.

21. John Horace

John Horace New Member

I wanted people to admire me.

22. solarstarrkatt

solarstarrkatt New Member

I was on Meez a year or so ago, I think two now, and I was really bored. I got this half-arsed idea and wrote it. Something like-this girl that can manupilate fire and ice has to go to this planet (The story was called the very original The Planet, lol) and kill this guy. she lands, sniffs one of the millions of pink blossoms (was thinking about Sailor Moon at the moment) that was engineered to knock someone out when inhaled, when the only inhabitant comes along (this really dark soul named a really cool name that escapes me at the moment) and wants to leave her dead, but he's been alone for ten years and is desperate for company. So he nurses her back to health and they get into a fight (he can make projectiles and sheilds using his mind, and since he's so bitter they're really dark and powerful) and she gets hurt again. He nurses her again- that's where I dropped it due to a lack of others' interests. I shall revive it since I wish to continue with it again.

I wrote that from 11-2 AM, listening to The Kill and Attack, and several awesome-sauce songs that I can't seem to recall.

Ah, the days of my youth...

23. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

To be perfectly honest i thought it would be MUCH safer to put the voices and images that bounce and explode in my mind, non stop!, on to pieces of paper :p. Ive had a very vivid imagination since i was a wee fella so as i grew up and devouered innumerable ammounts of books every year i guess its only natural to have more than a few stories of my own i'd like to share with others. Writing can be seen as Ego stroking and vain but i have a simple idea of hoping that i can entertain people. Even if its only a handfull of folks, then that would make me very happy to know they have a book i loved writing on a shelf in their home that they can re-visit from time to time and share with others :D

24. cryssfox

cryssfox New Member

It's the same for me. I'm too selective with the books that I enjoy so I write my own because whatever need I have is not being filled by previously written ones.
    I have always been a writer, its just that I only recently figured out that it is what I need to do with my life.

25. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

What got me into writing?

It was the only way I could stop characters in stories from doing stupid things.

Seriously, there had to be a way to stop the "good guys" from being idiots...

GEE, the bad guy that has chased us across the continent, murdered our family and friends, burned down our house and kicked our dog now says he's found religion and become a good guy? Jeepers, lets give him another chance and trust him...give him the keys to the house, our social security numbers and sign over lil Bobbie's college fund.

WHAT? He double crossed us and stole everything...WHO would have seen that one coming?

I say there must be a better way to create drama without resorting to idiocy on the part of the good guys...and to prove that point, I got into writing.