1. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Started in one genre end up in another.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheSerpantofNar, Jan 10, 2013.

Well I started working on what was going to be a southern gothic horror story that has now. Turned into a Southern Gothic black comedy/horror :rolleyes: Oddly I didn't start it out with that intention when I started writing it:confused: ever had that happen its new to me.

2. Talmay

Talmay Member

I just let the story take me wherever. Most of the time I end up liking it better than the original vision anyway. Kinda startling at first, but you very rarely have full control.

3. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Well I just didn't see it going a black comedy direction that it has taken yeah it was startling at first.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Genres are marketing tools, nothing more. Write the story and don't worry about how it will be classified.

5. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Happened to me with my latest project. I wanted it to be a romance, but it's gearing towards a tragic tale.

6. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

As long as the shift is organic and not forced its fine. ie you don't want a Gothic horror for half the novel then all of a sudden whoosh an alien space ship appears and the next half is action sci fi (extreme example i know :D)

7. TemporalV01D

TemporalV01D New Member

Just let the story take you wherever it likes, I guess. I once started writing a short story I intended to be an action sci-fi, but finished it as a philosophical sci-fi drama. I kinda got to keep the sci-fi part, though. :D