1. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

The "Thank you" thread!

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Lifeline, Oct 27, 2015.

I've been leafing through this forum a lot in the last days and I just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to all of you who have shared your thoughts and experiences. I don't want to pick out a specific thread or a specific author, as most of you properly have contributed to one or the other. All of that has improved my writing no end!

So, just keep it up. If I eventually finish my story it will be a lot better for all the things I learned from you!

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

I'm happy to jump in on this. I've been away from WF for a few months. Over that time I've been reading more published books, beta reading several unpublished manuscripts, and rewriting and editing my own first novel as I get it beta-read.

I've noticed something. Around here, the strong, experienced contributors urge the rest of us towards staying in the POV character's head (as in Close Third Person), eliminating filter words, avoiding narrative intrusion, and all the rest of it. It's not like WF own those principles; far from it, they're repeated on writer's blog after writer's blog across the Internet. But going by the novels I've bought and the ones I've beta-read lately, the message hasn't spread universally. Most of the new works I've been reading have been written in a distant omniscient POV, as if the writer didn't want the reader truly involved with his or her characters. I am constantly being told how a character acted or felt, instead of being shown. My access to the character's heart is obstructed by filter word after filter word, even to the extent of "She seemed to feel that she was . . . " For me to buy a book is a rare luxury, my budget's so tight, but here I blew the cash on two new novels early in September, and I don't feel like reading them because they're all narrator, all the time.

Conversely, my beta-readers are telling me my prose is very readable, fast, and cut-to-the-chase. They say they like it. Last May the first two pages of my second novel were blind-read by a panel of three writers and one agent, and the agent said he loved my "confident voice" and if the manuscript were complete, he'd want to look at it.

Well, guess what. My writing voice didn't get that way because I sat down at my keyboard and kept typing. It got there because people on this forum (you know who you are) beat, bullied, pushed, and flagellated me into it. Which is why I'm back, since the stuff I've been reading lately makes me feel I've been wandering in the desert. I needed to get back to this oasis and be refreshed.

3. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I really love this forum. :-D Thank you, WF, for being a thing. Please don't go anywhere. :bigeek:

During (because of) my time here, I feel that my skill and passion as a writer have grown more than any other time in my life when I was trying to fly solo. Some things I have learned so far:

• There are a ton of people here on the same page as me.
    • Critique in any form has value, even if I don't agree with what was said.
    • I am not as awful as I thought I was.
    • Writers' block is a big fat excuse.
    • Planning is good.
    • Spontaneity is good.
    • We're all struggling with the same basic roadblocks in our writing.
    So, here's one for solidarity. You guys are all amazeballs. :cheerleader::blowkiss:

4. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

I've learned more about writing from this forum than I ever did from any other source. The one book on writing that I've read only reinforced things I had already learned here. We've been lucky to have a handful of pros drop by and impart their knowledge and donate their time. We have plenty of users who take time out of their day to offer suggestions and advice, critique writers' work, and share their experiences. We have a staff who also donates its time to keeping this community active and healthy and providing new members with a place to learn and grow without any worry of negativity or trolling. And we have members (like myself) who keep coming back, no matter how many times we step away (for one reason or another).

It's a free resource that keeps on giving, year after year. So yes, thank you to everyone who makes this place what it is. I can only imagine how many writers have found motivation, inspiration, and support from it. I'm certainly one of them.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I love this forum. I love everything about this forum. The physical structure and color scheme, the interesting topics, the variety of things to talk about, the people, everything. Joining this forum was one of the best decisions I've made. If I ever publish, I'll be sure to include this forum in the dedication/"this book would not have been possible without..." page.

I love this forum. Never stop being awesome, folks. :)

6. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

*promptly stops being awesome just to screw with Link* :whistle:

7. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I assume this was aimed at me, and you are welcome. But enough praise, I have other places to accept it.

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

We weren't praising you, we were praising the forum as a whole.

9. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Thank you.

Adhulari and Link the Writer like this.