1. writerdude11

writerdude11 Member

what i just learned in finishing my latest story LOL

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by writerdude11, Jun 18, 2013.

What learned in editing my new story is that Im actually better at editing than I thought, getting better at catching discrepancies and inconsistancies in my writing. And I get the feeling thast if you put somethimg unexplained in your writing, you better explain it soon or else you'll piss the reader off. I also think that dialogue should be kept as simple as possible and put all the action outside of it.Has anyone else found this true?. I feel like for the first time since college, im beggining to cater to the reader, not other editors or teachers. Sorry if i sound emotional but just wanted to share my progress with you all, thanks!

2. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

Don't worry, you have to be emotional to be a writer :)

I don't agree that everything needs to be explained to the readers. Sometimes it is best to let the readers make their own conclusions.

As for dialogue and action together, it depends a lot on how you mix them together. A well place action beat can add so much to a dialogue sequence.

So, a particular way of writing may suit your present story, but do not make it a rule for all your writings, always be flexible.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

A Truth has been spoken here.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I feel your joy, writerdude. Sometimes you just want to shout, "[I've] got it! By George, [I've] got it!" :D

Not sure about what you've got but it sounds like it works in your work.