1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Bad stories?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lemex, Apr 18, 2009.

Have you ever read over a story you wrote, let's say a few month ago, and at the time you thought it was pretty good, but now when you look back on it you just don't want to look at it?

I've having that now, I've been going through a really big rewrite stage lately, rewriting all of my old stories I thought could do with it, and I had one where I thought the story was great. Now, when I read it again, I just think. "What? What is this rubbish?"

Also, what do you do with them?

2. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

I'm fairly new at creative writing, so it isn't a huge issue for me yet, but about four years ago I wrote a couple of screenplays based on a comic I drew in high school. At the time I thought it was fresh, funny, and told a great story. I looked back on it several months ago and couldn't believe I'd ever had the nerve to show another soul.

My reaction was not a good one. I edited three or four words and then closed the file with no desire to open it up again. Right now, I'm much more content working on my novel... which happens to be loosely based on the same thing.

3. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

there are no bad stories. they are just steps on your way forward. you learnt from each one. and everyone had its own lesson.

i don't keep mine, wrote now for about 7 years, a story every day. a long walk, but i tend to not look back, can't see where i want to go doing that. what's in your past even in writing made you write as you are now, so how can they be bad.

4. -NM-

-NM- Active Member

You obviously haven't read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant then..

5. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

wouldn't matter. i'm sure something was learnt by it is my point, doesn't matter if its just where to not place a comma.

though, like you, sometimes i wonder.

6. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

All the time. Then, a further three months down the track I'll look at it again and think it isn't so bad after all...

I don't throw away anything, or disregard any piece of writing I have. Not even the stuff that I consistently shudder at the thought of having written, as there is always something salvageable within it - even if just a word or phrase I've used catches my attention and sparks something entirely new.

Also, I like reading through old stuff, no matter how terrible it is, as I get to take an introspective look at how my stories have developed over time. Getting a deeper understanding of my own recurring habits and fascinations continues to help me develop stories and characters without making the same mistakes that become overt when looking at old, awful attempts. XD

7. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Yes, I do that a lot. I'll read some of the poetry or stories I've written in the past and think, 'what utter garbage.' And then I'll rewrite it and come back a few years later, think the same thing, and rewrite it again. I don't know who it was, but someone said that there's never a final draft of anything...there is always room for improvement. And as I mature as a writer, I see how to make my poetry/stories stronger so I rewrite them to incorporate that growth.

~Lynn

8. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

i would keep them as it is proof that you have improoved so much and i suppose it would make me feel realy good about my self.

9. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

I have one story that I wrote over 2 years ago that I handed in for my first year English class. I'm super embarrassed that I handed it in and was proud of it too. It's terrible lol. I keep it just to remind myself how much progress I've had and how much more is to come.

10. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Yes! I've even deleted a few of them, but I've stopped doing that so that like a year from now I can compare my very crappy writing back then to (hopefully :redface:) less crappy writing now.