1. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Preferred Fonts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earphone, Sep 28, 2011.

I've been taking Graphic Design classes at my college, and have been learning about various fonts. It's actually quite interesting, and I have a new favorite all-purpose font: Ariel! The previous being Times New Roman, mainly because it is a default, and looks okay. I've found that I'm partial to Sans-Serifs.

Anywho, what are your lots' favorite fonts?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I use calibri. Because it's the default on Word 2007. I even had to check the name.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

For writing, I use Courier New 12 pt. because that seems to be what most publishers prefer.

4. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Publishers have preferences? I'll have to remember that if ever I make a submission.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I've used Helvetica a number of times before. Something about it bugs me, similarly to Comic Sans.

5. Raki

Raki New Member

I use TNR out of habit, though I like the looks of Garamond and Palatino Linotype. I've never liked sans-serif fonts very much, but that's just me.

6. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Palatino is a nice one! I like the shape of the "P"s in that font.

7. Smythe

Smythe New Member

Arial/Calibri/Verdana for notes and such, they're nice non-serif fonts. For publishing documents, I think Bookman Old Style it pretty good.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Like bansai I like to use calibri, at least when writing. Then I might change before submitting, if I think it would be better. One font I like is Bookman Old Style, whaT do you guys think of it? Is it ok to use when submitting if the publishers doesn't ask for other than a font that is easy to read?

9. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I used to be into Calibri, but when I started using Tumblr, I found a really nice theme that used a font called Quicksand, which I fell in love with. It's a really, really nice font, as far as I'm concerned.

10. Banzai

Generally, a publisher will say which font to use, in their submission guidelines. You should always follow these.

If it doesn't say, then it's safest to go for standard manuscript format- which fontwise means courier new, 12 point.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Sorry for the misspelling of your name. Saw that now :(

12. jnk1296

jnk1296 Member

When drafting for my novel, I'll use Calibri size 11, but when I rewrite, i switch to Times New Roman size 12. It helps me to differentiate, and when I read back what I've rewritten, it makes it feel that much closer to an actual book. *sighs and dreams*

For all other purposes, I'm a Verdana person.

13. Faust

Faust Active Member

I love Courier New.

I used to have a font that was something Typewriter that was pretty nice too. It looked a lot like Courier so I decided to just use Courier New as a way of 'standardizing' my fonts.

Like Banzai said, 12 point Courier New seems to be an industry standard.

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I like Calibri as well as use that for final print documents. If it is meant to be read entirely onscreen, I often use Verdana.

15. arron89

arron89 Banned

OMG I can't believe you just used Helvetica and Comic Sans in the same sentence...Also, I don't know how good this school is if they didn't teach you that Arial is simply a cheap, inferior copy of Helvetica. It's spaced poorly, the letters are irregularly constructed, and it doesn't work as well in bold or italic fonts.

Calibri is pretty good for a default font, but personally I can't get away from the old classics, Helvetica and Futura for almost everything I write. If people send me things in Times New Roman, I don't read them.

16. Banzai

Wow, people really care about their fonts. I've never given it that much thought before, to be honest.

17. Steerpike

I stopped using Times New Roman because the U.S. Patent Office OCR is really bad with that font, and they tend to mess up a lot of the text. I adopted Calibri and liked it so much that I use it for virtually everything that I am going to print and send out, whether fiction, business letters, etc.

18. Faust

Faust Active Member

I'll check out Calibri.

Edit: I like it, very nice.

I also found one I like called "Note this" great for notes.

19. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Calibri, NM or Georgia :)

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

tnr is way too tiny and cramped for reading in large doses all day, every day... which is why most agents and editors will prefer courier new 12pt...

for print work, you must us a serifed font regardless... non-serif fonts are ok only for online publishing... so if you want to be published in print and don't want your ms to be tossed on sight, don't use arial!

21. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Times New Roman, simply because it reads well for me. If I'm subbing, then I change it to the publication's preferences (if stated). Though I do have a liking for Garamond at the moment. In fact, I like most serif fonts. Sans serif, though, is a different matter. I'll live with Helvetica and Arial, but woe betide the person who tries to make me read anything written in Comic Sans MS.

22. JackElliott

JackElliott New Member

Garamond for the stuff I print out, and Calibri for everything else.

23. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

I love Helvetica and Calibri. Times New Roman takes me back to when I first got a computer but had no internet so I just typed random things the whole day. Or played Solitary.

I liked to use Comic Sans in instant messengers, though. Pink, bold Comic Sans. I pity the friends who talked to me back then.

24. Steerpike

Helvetica and Calibria are both sans-serif fonts. I find Calibri to be very readable and use it quite a bit. Not sure why people would insist on serifed fonts for print, but I go with whatever a publisher wants.

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

serifed fonts are print publishing industry-mandated because until the advent of the internet, that's what was used for just about everything other than some advertising wording and logos... i guess as our young use the net more and more, their being accustomed to sans serif fonts and thus considering them the 'norm' will eventually cause the print world to switch to them, as well...