1. Daniel Michael Morgan

Daniel Michael Morgan New Member

What instruments do you use to write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daniel Michael Morgan, Feb 10, 2010.

I personally like to write my rough draft stories by hand rather than typing them on a Keyboard. I use a Fountain pen with a plunger and black-blue ink on a yellow legal pad.

What paraphernalia do you use to write?

2. catavenger

catavenger New Member

I use only the computer. i have tried writing a rough draft on paper but it just doesn't work for me.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

either my laptop keyboard, or on lined, pastel pads with heavy-duty backboards, using a fat, blue ink, medium point ballpoint pen...

if neither is handy, i'll write with anything else, on anything else...

4. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Member

I have two instruments..

mainly I use my pen and then I move to the computer when I can.

5. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Computer. If I get a really strong story idea I'll jot the idea down on paper but I struggle to write on paper so I generally do computerized typing only. I also bought a Dragon Naturally Speaking, which works very well.

6. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I burn the words into existence with my mind, or I use Word. I would use pen and paper, but that is not as fast or manageable as the other ways.

7. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Notebooks. And fountainpens. :D (And in the end, the pc, of course)

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I use my brain.

Oh, and fingers.

:)

9. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Most of the time, I use my laptop. When writing free hand, I always use a brand new blue ink fountain pen and yellow legal pads. :)

10. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I write on my laptop. Or on scraps of paper, receipts, sweet wrappers or anything else that's lurking in my briefcase if something comes to me when I'm travelling home from work on the ferry. I always forget my notebook even though the kids kindly keep buying them for me. But I can't write with blue ballpoints, it has to be BLACK.

11. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

The pages of whatever I'm reading at the time are often filled with writing- sentences in the margins, on the title page, etc. I carry books around with me all the time and they serve as notebooks. Pen, pencil, whatever. Then I transfer my writing to the computer and try to flesh out a story. I've never completed an entire story by hand. Which makes me sad, not sure why. There's something satisfying about writing, the physical act, seeing your letters on paper, as opposed to typing...

12. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Anything. I have notes on napkins.
    But mainly I use journals and a computer. I usually free write before bed, especially if I'm stuck on something, and I tend to wake up with a fresh mind, then I type it out.

13. FloweringWind

FloweringWind New Member

I have been journaling for 10 years now and am currently writing in my 43rd notebook. I prefer to write in thread-bound composition notebooks and write with pen. I go through phases where I will only write in pen or only write in pencil. My favorite pen to use is the standard blue BIC pen; for some reason, my thoughts seem to flow smoother with that particular pen than with any other. I do have a thing for gel pens, too. :) Except...they run out rrrreeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyyyy quickly with me. Hehe

14. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Aaaaghh! Nooo! Desecration! I CAN'T deface books. I've never made notes or underlined even in textbooks. I don't like creasing the spine of books, and HATE people who dog-ear pages. Grrrrrrrrrr!

15. Dragoon119

Dragoon119 Member

I started out writing my novels by hand on loose leaf notebook paper and kept a folder to compile the manuscript, the notes, and rough drafts of scenes and whatever. However this all stopped the first time I attempted to do a very long high action novel that; after careful estimation would of been around 1400+ pages. I got to around 60+ But the strain was too much. It took me a couple of months to get used to typing on the computer but after getting used to it I felt I could get more down faster before it would fade away. However, I do want to try an old fashion typewriter someday...

Oh yes! Before I forget, I do have an Alfa smart. If anyone even remembers what does are anymore! I tried writing on that but never got round to understanding the bloody thing well enough to get my writing off of it. oh well, I wonder if I still have it...