1. lost123

lost123 New Member

what is a gerund or participle ?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lost123, Aug 11, 2012.

HI

I have problem with gerund and participle. I don't understand: What they are? Or how can I use them in a sentence? ............

Thank you in advance!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Google would be a better way to get your answer. However...

A participle is a verb form used in combination with helper verbs. In English, verbs ending in -ing are participles, for instance running.* He is running is uses is/am/are as an auxiliary verb to form present progressive tense, but He was running uses was/were as the auxiliary verb to make past progressive tense.

A gerund is a present participle used to express a verb action in a noun context. Running is great exercise uses the participle Running as the subject of a sentence, so in that sentence Running is a gerund.

Specifically, -ing words ar the present participle. However, I won't get into that much depth here. Use google for more information.

3. lost123

lost123 New Member

Thanks,

4. Roger Morris

Roger Morris New Member

Gerund is a form regularly derived from a verb and functioning as a noun while participle is an adjective or complement to certain auxiliaries that is regularly derived from the verb in many languages and refers to participation in the action or state of the verb...

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cogito says it best... ditto that!

6. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Have you considered looking online for your answer? That's usually the best place to start a search for questions such as this.

Try: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/627/01/ for an excellent resource from Purdue University. It also shares links to other grammer-y questions and might swerve you well if you bookmark it for future reference.

7. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Others have explained well what they are. I just wanted to add that modern grammars tend not to recognise such a thing as the gerund, because more often than not it's impossible to tell them from adjectives so it's just not a useful category for grammatical analysis. On the other hand, it's a better name than that of the replacement category: "the naked -ing form".