Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coral reef

coral reef Banned

What is a writing forum?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by coral reef, May 12, 2007.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

*sigh*

And people call me a cynic for saying the human race as a whole is doomed?

3. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland Contributing Member

I thought he had a good point.

4. Kit

Kit Contributing Member Contributor

Whether it was a good point or not I don't believe that he expressed it in a particularly well-manered fashion. Yes people are welcome to criticise poetry, I don't think anyone expects feedback that is 100% positive, but I do think that there needs to be some consideration in how criticisms are expressed.

For example, it is much better, and much more helpful to the author of a poem for a person who has read it to say whether they liked it or not and why, and how it can be improved than to simply say they dislike it.

5. Alice in Wonderland

I agree that he could have cut out the parody poem and gone straight for the crit in the last post.

6. Kit

Yeah, that's basically what I was talking about. I find the parody poem to be offensive and entirely unnecessary. All things like that do is upset authors, who will then lack confidence to post their work. Most of us are here to learn, grow and improve not to give up.

As for what is a writing forum... its whatever its members make it. But i feel that it should be a place where people feel that they can post their work and recieve appropriate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism in order that they can improve, and in turn they should help other users in the same way.

7. Alice in Wonderland

Agreed. This is a great and overall friendly forum. We don't need people leaving because of the odd persons uncalled for and offensive comments.

There seems to be a lot of this kind of thing going on at the moment. >.<

8. Kit

It's true, but the sad thing is that negative actions always seem to carry more weighting than the positive ones in any aspect of life.

Its more likely that people will leave because of one bad post, than they will join because of the hundreds of good ones...

9. Banzai

I think it's mostly just people overreacting. Certainly that's what it was with the gay marriages thread. I don't know about this one, it just seems an overly offensive way to deliver criticism. It's all about treating people as people, really.

10. Alice in Wonderland

I guess it's easier not to do that when you are conversing over the internet... It sorta takes away the reality.

11. Kit

Yeah, and its easy to take things in a way that they weren't intended.

Like when i'm on MSN or something, even my friends that I speak to everyday whom I have known for a long time will sometimes not get the joke in something I say or I will take offense at something they meant as a joke. Whereas when you're talking in person you can see in the body language (usually!)

12. Alice in Wonderland

I used to get into arguements with my partner all the time on MSN because of that same reason. xD All our arguements were over IM which sorta sucked. Now we are living together we argue a LOT less.

Damn you interwebz!

13. Kit

Lol how long will that last? The more time I spend with someone the less I usually like them because I get to know their nasty habits and the real them...

14. Alice in Wonderland

xD We know eachother's bad habits and stuff and just have a go at each other for not keeping them to themselves.

15. Banzai

Yeah. It's a shame really, because I've met some great people on the internet (present company included). But it is easier to dehumanise people when you don't have to look them in the eyes.

16. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

Basically all I have tpo say on this matter is that instead or reacting to the post in a defensive manner and causing a scene (I mean no offence by this) simply pm a moderator and give them a link to the problematic area and tell them a little bit about the situation you are in and let them deal with it.

This is a friendly forum and outbursts can cause wounds that may take some time to heal and we really do need to avoid such scenarios. Moderators are here to deal with these situations, let them do their job, don't blow things out of proportion by carrying it on and making things worse, just simply ignore it and let the moderators do what they feel is the right thing to do.

~Torana

17. Alice in Wonderland

A moderator has posted already in the poetry thread in question. I guess that means it's resolved anyhoo.

18. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yeah but it doesn't make it right. I hope this does get resolved because this place is going to scare away great writers and people. Heck, If I came in for the first time while this was happening, I wouldn't even join. I can't believe someone would post something like that. It was downright nasty and unfair. It's by far the worst bad crit I have seen. If they don't like it, don't comment or find something constructive to say. This is starting to irritate me..... grrrr..... hmph. I'm fine now! I just hope it is resolved and someone lets us know or locks the thread (which would suck because it is a great poem in my pov.)

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

being a writer in any medium means taking risks and necessitates growing a thick skin... when you send your babies out into the big, bad world of competitive publishing, what you see as mean/heartless comments here will seem like motherly pats on the back...

sites like this are good training grounds for real life, folks!... get over the idea that all criticism has to be positive or constructive... it won't be that out there, so why should it be, in here?...

that said, i don't mean it's ok to be nasty or crude, or so sarcastic it becomes a personal attack, rather than a critique of the work...

for the record, i didn't see anything in that thread that was so over the line i'd complain about it... the comments were meant to give the writer advice and they did so... that some were more 'graphic' in doing so than others is just the result of human nature... we all have our own way of doing things... but it seems to me that all who posted comments about the poems gave of their time to do so, to be of help, not to just tear someone down...

and that's my 20 cents on the subject...

love and hugs to all, maia

20. Frost

Frost Contributing Member

Such is todays society though. We're all taught to be confident, that we have talent and what not and that nothing we do is ever bad, so when it is, and someone has a joke at the writers expense, the whole thing blows up. My first poem I ever posted(not on this site) was similar to that, and I got a similar reply to Spartans. I didnt go off, I asked the person to clarify what they meant. They gave their crit and it was done! Easy as that. We need to relax a bit.

21. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Maybe the Spartan should of posted that poem in another thread. Then I would of looked on the funny side instead of throwing a wobbly. I still think it was a touch mean. His second posted crit was a bit better. :D but anywayz.......

22. coral reef

coral reef Banned

I agree 100%

23. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think people understand that the whole point of being member to a writing forum is growth and advancement.

It's common for many writers to start from the 'bottom' and move their way to the 'top'.

If a piece of writing appears trite or poorly written, by all means say so, just make sure you justify your crit with reasons and, if inclined, suggest methods in which will help the author improve.

Mocking people, sure, might make yourself feel alittle better, maybe, certainly amusing, but ultimately all that is achieved is a short lived feeling of satisfaction to another persons expense.

24. Misstikal

Misstikal Banned

not blowing my own trumpet but i really dont feel that first reply to my poem was deserved.

also i have to apologise for my own replies to him in that thread, but i was a little infuriated and apset. im sure some of u can understand

25. Myst

Myst Active Member

Looks like The Spartan is getting alot of exposure time...!

Back on track:

eh, the parody poem is uncalled for. But his points are otherwise valid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.