1. Psychotrshman

Psychotrshman Member

What is an Infringement?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Psychotrshman, Aug 27, 2012.

Okay, so here's my question. What constitutes Copyright Infringement? Per the copyright website,

What is copyright infringement?
    As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

The "made into a derivative work" is what has me confused. Per Google,

de·riv·a·tive/diˈrivətiv/
    Adjective: (typically of an artist or work of art) Imitative of the work of another person, and usually disapproved of for that reason.
    Noun: Something that is based on another source.
    Synonyms: adjective. derived; noun. derivation

Does that mean that it is infringement to make something similiar? I have an idea for a modern christmas carol-esque story where the main character is visited by three ghosts on christmas eve (Past, Present, Future) and it changes his life. To me, it would fall into the "That sounds like..." category and not actually an infringment, but I'm far from an expert. The setting, plot, characters, and situations are all drastically different, it just uses that general story form.

Any thoughts, comments, questions, concerns are greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am no expert on copyright issues.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

A Christmas Carol is out of copyright anyway, so it's irrelevant to your case.

3. Psychotrshman

Psychotrshman Member

So I should be free to write my story with out fear of repurcussion. Thank you!