1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. jamesE

jamesE Member

what is an open-ended story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jamesE, Sep 22, 2011.

Came across the term today, and was wondering what it meant (person said that the shorter stories in a particular publication that publishes stories from about 1000 to 18K words were more "open-ended")

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

It can mean several things. If a prompt says a story is open-ended, this generally means that you can write it about whatever you want, instead of them giving you a theme or required element to start with. But if an already-written story is open-ended, this generally means that the ending left some mysteries open, so the readers (or viewers if it's a movie) can use their own imaginations to speculate about whys and hows.

3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

It could also mean that there are some lose endings to a story or movie and the readers or viewers are awaiting a sequel to the story or movie. But then again, I guess I could be wrong on this subject.

4. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

^ Yeah, that's what I was talking about - loose endings that leave some mysteries open. You're not wrong on that, Reg. :)