1. Fanficlover

Fanficlover Member

What is good time to start new story?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fanficlover, Dec 4, 2010.

I have some many stories to write and many ideas to become story, but what is a real good time to write new story?

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Right now. There won't be any stories if you don't write them. You have the ideas, so why not?

1 person likes this.
  3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

any time you have one that needs to be written... there are no rules or right/wrong or good/bad time... and only you can answer the question... no one can do it for you...

if you're a writer, you'll write...

if you're not one, you won't...

simple!?

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

The next best time to write a story is approximitaly December 22 2011.

Though in all seriousness. The best time to start writing a new story is after you finish your current one. That way you can focus more on this new idea and story.

But if course you can also always multitask on this.

Basicly this is something you should answer for yourself. Only you can know.

Though if you find yourself bursting with inspiration and desire to write a new idea, I suggest getting right on it.

5. JeffS65

JeffS65 Contributing Member

The time to write a story is when you are convinced that the story you have in mind can be a completed story with all the elements that would entail.

If you have a 'cool idea' but no idea how to execute it...not a good time to start.

However, if you feel that you have a sense about what is driving the story and can bring it to conclusion, then you could likely start.

6. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

If a whole story seems intimidating to you as a new writer, walk it one bite at a time (snicker - I love mixed metaphors!). Make a personal goal of, say, at least 200 words a day. Not hard, and after a week or two you would have a short story or chapter.

Don't make that a minimum, of course. If you feel in the groove, then keep on writing.

It may also help (or not, depending on your personality) to do a little outlining. What are the major points you want to cover in your story? Write them out, then knock them off the list one at a time, a couple hundred words at a time.

-Frank

7. Screams of Silence

Screams of Silence Member

This is really good advice, as is the rest in this thread. Writing a story is much more than writing the actual story. There are revisions and rewrites, and I always have a separate notebook dedicated only to describing the characters and developing the plot. The reader will never even know this notebook exists, but it contains character sheets and other notes and data that are invaluable to me while developing scenes and plot development. So you need to get started now, because it takes a long time to write a story.

As the above poster said, just start small. Describe your character, practice the scenes. Or even write a brief synopsis of the plot to outline it. Any writing is good writing in my opinion :)

8. Lothgar

Lothgar Contributing Member

I'd have to say a good time to write is when inspiration strikes. Uninspired writing leaves something to be desired.

9. erik martin

erik martin Contributing Member

Only during the waxing moon...nah, how about tonight? (of course its usually a good idea to have more than the idea. I'm a proponent of doing some planning before actually doing the writing. I want to know the full course of the story before I write it, reserving the right to change it as I go.)

10. Celia.

Celia. Senior Member

Whenever you have inspiration. I carry around a notebook to jot things down.

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It sounds like the problem may be that you can't decide which story to pursue. I don't think that's an atypical problem. Take a piece of paper and make a list of your ideas - one-sentence descriptions only. Then read it through and see which one you think you really would enjoy writing. That's the one to start on, right now.

You may find it daunting at first just getting started. You can start by just sketching out some ideas. Who would the main character be? What kind of person is he or she? What happens to him/her? Why? What happens next? Who else is involved? What is that person like? Etc, etc.

In the end, you write the way you walk, one foot in front of the other, one step at a time.

Are you ready to take a step? One foot forward...now...