1. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

What is the best story...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mans, Apr 30, 2014.

that you have written till now? What was its theme and why you picked it over as the best of your writings ? (Based on what criteria did you select it?)

2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I honestly don't think I could pick!

My first was true life, my second was erotic/romantic fiction. The third (that I'm working on) is e/r fiction again but I could not pick a favourite because the two genres are so different. Both completed books mean a hell of a lot to me but for different reasons.

One thing I have noticed though, is that if I have a read through a few pages of my first fiction book (which has been out there since July 2013) I start to re-write it in my head!

3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

The best story is probably one I am going to write; it's currently in planning. It's a general fiction drama, concerning a boy who is diagnosed with twin-personality disorder in the 1940s, and how he deals with it as he grows up. At the moment, and with the way its going, it could very well be my magnum opus (greatest work). I could write it now, but I think I need some more life/writing experience before then, which is why I'm delaying it.

Of the things I have written, I think my current general fiction drama, Anna, is my best work. It's to do with a six year-old girl called Anna who is diagnosed with a brain tumour (what's with the diagnosing in my manuscripts?) and how she copes with it, along with her family and friends. Because I spend a lot of time with children and know how they tick, I believe I may have hit the nail on the head when it comes to realistic dialogue and actions.

4. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

this in my opinion is my best writing to date: http://www.writingforums.org/threads/the-tea-room.61211/#post-1025051
    The theme: Don't jump to conclusions, your inevitably be wrong.
    Why did I chose this as my best writing: It had a good balance of dialogue and action which drove the story forward.

peachalulu likes this.
  5. BraxtonPee

BraxtonPee New Member

My best was a compilation of about 50-something chapters set in a role-play that I was involved in for about 4 years.

It was essentially about a man gaining strength to kill someone who he had once looked up to that had killed those he considered his family. In doing so, he forges bonds with those he is learning from and those who are learning alongside him. Stuck between his original goal and not wanting to forsake those bonds he had built by killing someone and signing his own death warrant is his struggle.

Eventually, upon confronting the object of his hatred, he learns he was implanted with false memories and was, in actuality, the person who had killed his own friends and family.

His story then evolves into one of redemption.

This occurred over about 4 years alongside other writing within a community of writers and their characters, though. I lost the inspiration to finish it completely after all that time, lol.

6. Ritrezer

Ritrezer Member

My best writing is the one I'm working on at the moment. It's Urban Fantasy with Science Fiction about- Dragon Riders of Modern Times. It's probably the best because it's the most inventive piece of work I've ever done and working on it is a great experience.
    But my favorite story is something else entirely- it's something I've yet to write. I've got it all planned, I intend to write it after I'm done with this work. It's a morally ambiguous crime story about an Anti-Hero.

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Tough one. I would like to say the one I'm working on, or Not Pink but Thunderbolt is probably the best because it was written, polished, and rewritten like eight times. Not Pink is a first draft, and The Worms of Wicher-Woo ( which I'm getting down to the wire - it's going so slow for some reason! ) is also a first draft ( polished a bit, though. )

8. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

Mainstream - "Vampire-Tech". It allowed me to explore an idea I had been playing with for along time that combined SF with Vampires and Werewolves, providing a logical and non magical/mystical explanation for them that actually made sense and worked with the supposed time lines of legend.

Erotica - "LiSA - System Shock". The story merges strong SF concepts with a set of powerful personal stories as well as a crime mystery and action, while still including heavy and detailed SM sexual action.

9. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

The best short story I've written is "Vegetable Matters". I really enjoyed writing it, plus the twist ending catches readers off guard but they seem to appreciate the ending. I was able to sell it to a once to a small magazine, and then twice as a reprint. Now it's part of my short story collection. It's a near future SF mystery, with a theme of sacrifice.

The best novel-length would have to be my most recently published novel, Relic Tech. It's built around a classic frame-story structure. It's an action adventure (Military SF), with a bit of a mystery. If I had to pick one word for a theme...Loyalty.

For both, I came up with a premise and thought it'd provide a good story for readers to enjoy.

peachalulu likes this.
  10. AJC

AJC Active Member

The story I'm working on now is my best work so far. It's about two species on neighboring planets that develop space travel capabilities at the same time and find themselves in a Cold War type situation.

11. Mackers

Mackers Contributing Member

Not Pink is probably my favourite of yours. With a couple of re-writes and some tidying up here and there it could be really, really good

peachalulu likes this.
  12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

My best writing is probably the first chapter of my novel. It's the work I've revised the most, and it still reads really well to me.

My best short story is probably one called "A Merchant of Smoke." I wrote it for class when I took the Gotham writing courses online and it got a really good response. Somehow I really hit the right tone on that one.

13. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Thanks Mackers! Maybe when I clean it up it will be the better story. It does have my most favorite character I've created.

14. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

Not fair, @Mans; we want to know what your favourite project is, too. Tell us!

I wrote a really confusing piece for one of the short story competitions here. The objective was to create a sense of ease for the reader where they briefly think it will be a stereotypical story, then sneakily turn things on their head right up to the heart-breaking ending. Sure, it lacked description, similes, metaphors-- but I still feel cold when I read it. It got a single vote, too, which is more than I can say for anything else I've written:D.

peachalulu likes this.
  15. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

Well, how I explain? You can imagine me as a writer that he can writes the types of long or short stories in every theme, among horror and humor,but he doesn't write!
    I have said frequently, I haven't any goal or motivation to do that. In fact I am a theosophic and philosophic poet. These kinds poems is what I am interested to write, but I have to say, I don't write these poems either! Inevitably, if I want to mention one of my works as the best, I choose one of my long theosophic poems. It was a nice poem that I wrote about five years ago, so meaningful and full of the amazing interpretations of mysteries. I used a lot of amazing metaphors in it and it had an accurate rhythm. Of course I lost the poem, because one of my defects is that I don't collect my works and don't keep them up. I always think I can write one better!

16. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

This is my favorite: http://cdeds.livejournal.com/2017.html

I like it because of the dated references, pointless details, and twist ending.