1. jim onion

jim onion New Member

What is the color of night?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jim onion, Oct 7, 2016.

"Sanguine, my brother."

The name's Foxxx, after my spirit animal. And no, I didn't get that from one of those lame online quizzes haha. Just sort of came to me one day.

As some of you might have already noticed, I'm a fan of Oblivion and Skyrim. Love video games.

I'm a writer. I going to say aspiring, but that would only be in reference to my dreams of being published and making a career out of it. Since I was young I had a great imagination, and always had an urge to create, but unfortunately only for the past few years have I been trying to figure out the execution. Prose, poetry, and writing in general so far has been my favorite creative outlet, and seems to be what I'm best at.

At 18, I'm still figuring out who I am (and figuring out a lot of other things). Who I want to be. this plays its part in my writing; I'm still finding my "voice", my "style". Progress is slowly but surely being made, with time and experience.

I've been part of another online writing community for a while, and now I'm trying to branch out and expand into other communities to grow my online presence. My hopes in doing this are to have fun, to meet new people, learn and gain as much experience as I can, and most importantly improve my craft. I can use all the help I can get in that last one.

I could ramble on forever about my interests, from soccer and hockey, to reading Tolkien and a plethora of just about everything I find interesting and of value. And certainly these things will come about as I get to know you all better!

Looking forward,

-Kyle

Thufeil likes this.
  2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Hello and welcome!
    I too am trying to find my voice and style but I think that will evolve and change for everyone over time.
    Are you working on anything in particular at the moment?

zoupskim likes this.
  3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Yeah, while we writers change as people, so too does our writing. If there comes a day where I sell-out, and my work becomes a stagnant recipe, I hope somebody will have enough sense to put me to death! :p

Currently incubating an idea for a series of poems. I've got an idea for a short-story called "2061", a speculative piece of fiction with what I think is a humorous twist. Also working on a couple bigger projects... one closely based off my life, my experiences in high-school and the nature of growing up in this day and age. The other is a dystopian universe I'm building called "The Transcended World", which I have several full length novels planned. One is underway, but I'm having a difficult time making any significant and satisfactory progress.

"but I'm having a difficult time making and significant and satisfactory progress..." sums up my struggles, haha.

4. hawls

hawls Active Member

My spirit animal:
    [​IMG]

Also, welcome! Looks like you've got a lot of projects on the go. I can also totally relate to having a difficult time making significant and satisfactory progress on my work. But the community here is engaging and supportive. I'm certain by hanging around here we can both overcome it. :)

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    The color of night is when the silver moon beams full and large on a blackened sky.

Welcome to the Forums.
    I must be off now, but I will C-ya around. :supergrin:
    DeathCarriage.jpg

6. bonijean2

bonijean2 Ancient Artists And Storytellers Rock

The color of night is reflected star light from faraway space upon the darkened blue hue that surrounds this place - welcome.

ClaraCoatup likes this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
    -William Gibson

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll have a good time here and find at least some of what you're looking for.

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Welcome! Must say, if I opened a book and those were the first lines (thread title and first line reply), I'd keep reading. I like it!

jim onion and Sifunkle like this.
  9. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

Ditto Mckk :)

Welcome, and congratulations on your first impression!

10. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Haha, good old Lilo and Stitch. :-D

Yeah, I always start a project but have difficulty finishing it. So then it turns into a juggling of rotating things from the back-burners to the front-burners all the time. But yeah, this place seems lovely! I think for us it'll be matter of prioritizing, and just putting our noses to the good old grindstone.

All good answers, wasn't expecting that! :D

It's interesting how many different ways there are to describe something. I'm starting to realize that I'm sort of coming at it from the wrong end; it isn't about describing something in a way that every reader will "agree" with per se. It's just describing something beautifully and convincingly, which is accomplished by describing it how I would... or how the character would, depending on the PoV.

Appreciate the welcomes, and hopefully will see you all around.

Yeah it's a reference to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion; the passcode answer to getting into the Dark Brotherhood. ;)

But now you've got me thinking... I need to work on my openers haha! Cheers mate.

Thanks Sifunkle! Made my first splash and already diving in.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Mckk likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Lead with a question and dare no one reply to it? Walk in peace.
    Reaper.jpg

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  12. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Haha no no I didn't mean it that way. That's just what I get for leading off with a reference to an "old" video game. :superlaugh:

Digging the pictures, by the way! Very Halloweeny. :D

Everyone here seems very cool. *insert big sigh of relief* Nine Divines know I've had enough bad forum experiences. :p

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. Cave Troll

I did not know that, I just thought it was a question. (facepalm fail) :p

14. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Turned out to be a great conversation starter! Time to go to some college parties and get my game on lol.

I may have edited my initial response too late for some people to see it, but I'm actually glad people answered the question. I've been coming at writing from a bit of a wrong angle. It's not about descriptions that appeal to every reader. It's either about describing something beautifully and convincingly the way I would do it, or the way the character in question would do it. The rest seems to be a phenomenon that happens naturally.

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Hello from another newbie at the other end of life. It's great you're so young and have so many dreams. Just keep at it. The more I write the better I get. Make time for it. So far, I really like this site. People seem really sincere. I've poked through some of the workshops, they seem really constructive. I don't know anyone else who writes. Now I don't feel so all alone. Welcome!

jim onion likes this.
  16. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Thanks for the encouragement Mae! And it's never too late to start.

17. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

You are most welcome!

18. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi and welcome. :)
    Since you've been here for a while, you've probably seen our New Member Quick Start but here it is, just in case.

My spirit animal is either a hare or a stingray. I wonder if it's possible to have two. :D

Good luck with your writing projects!

-Kat

jim onion likes this.