1. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Oscar nominations 2013

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Bimber, Feb 23, 2013.

Any fans?

I often miss to watch it live(due to timezones and such) but i like to keep an eye on it, usually not much impressed with their choices and this year is no exception

So who do you predict to win best picture this year? leading actor/actress?

My biggest surprise this year is that Cloud Atlas was left out, loved the movie as its been years that a movie impressed me so much, it was done completely different from anything else its bold thought provoking and original in so many ways, was hoping they would get at least Film editing or costume design(snow white and the huntsman really they did better?) or some other category...

I am happy for the nomination of Kon-tiki as foreign film loved the book as a kid

Any movie you feel sorry was left out this year?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i watch it mostly for the clothes [more for the guffaw-factor than anything!], hoping the camera will catch the moment one of those stupid 90%-breast-revealing gowns slips and the pixels have to be deployed...

i never make predictions... and can't say what was left out, since i never go to the movies and don't see them till they're on cable...

3. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Yeah one of the reasons its not fun to watch if not live.

But over the years the Oscars seems to have lost its meaning as its more and more seems like a popularity contest than to acknowledge artistic values
    Still didnt read Cloud Atlas but i did mark it as my next one, as i got to see how did Mitchell write it, cause in the movie it was kind of complicated and confusing(but in a nice way!) as it shows multiple points of view through several generations of people, the movie was impressive but the book is always better so cant wait to see.

I also dont like to predict much but have a feeling Lincoln will get best picture this year.

4. Bimber

Bimber New Member

best writer award "Quintin Tarantino" really? guess they had to give him something but come on

5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

First, I like Quentin Tarantino. A tad in your face, but always interesting. His movies are a lot better than that snooze-fest rendition of Lincoln.

My wife had the TV on last night. I sharpen in an alcove off our kitchen, and I could hear the show, but not see it. My she gasped when Lawrence fell, but other than that I feel I missed nothing. Clearly fashion means nothing to me!

I thought Pi could have had a better ending/scenario/plot, BTW. I was pulling for the tiger to just eat him. I mean, it's a boat in the middle of nowhere. Heck, I'd get hungry...

If Tarantino would have written the script the tiger would have eaten him a piece at a time, with oldies rock music in the background.

Maybe a talking tiger. "And for dessert, I'll have a piece of Pi..."

6. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Dunno i never get to watch it as i dont watch tv at all, just read who won still didnt check to see if anything interesting happened

Tarantino movies for me are more or less the same that what annoys me about him, they ok to just sit and watch dont mind mindless action, but often i just turn it off
    Yeah was kinda also rooting for the tiger even though i knew it wouldnt happen, was ok movie and they probably got more oscars than they hoped
    Did ye see cloud atlas? now that movie should have gotten an oscar for best writer
    Hobbits also didnt get anything :(

7. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Bimber, as a guy with a tad of gray hair I've found that movies and the accompanying awards have their own yin and yang. One year it's comedies, the next mysteries, then a spate of vampire stuff, etc. Like anything else, if something sells, then everyone wants a piece, so they make more until you're sick of it.

Frankly, I wish the tiger would have eaten Bella months ago.

Tarantino movies have an underlying theme(s). As a polisher I can tell you to watch the 'flashback' scenes in "Kill Bill." Each time he did that it was a life lesson. For example, watch the scene where Hattori Hanzo gives her the katana.

I kind of like that. It's a life lesson to be sure, but limited preaching, then on with the entertainment.

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

There was a quote in The New Yorker reviewing Django that I especially liked in regards to the movie and Tarantino's directing style as a whole.

'All he can counter it with is cool.' That's his style, that's his modus operandi. Tarantino has never been heavy on substance or lesson or writing. He's a raucous supporter of cult film and stylistic ingenuity and fake blood showers, and he excels at all of these things, but substantial he ain't, buddy.

9. Bimber

Bimber New Member

That one was one of the movies that he made that i might have liked if not for the last scene or somewhere at the end when she kills that dude by slicing his brain and he stayed alive for couple of more mins and even managed to say "thats a real Hanzo Hattori" and than his head falls apart, that was when he lost me :D
    But i will give him this, i might not remember scenes from movies i liked and watched over 5 times but i can never forget that scene i watched once...

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

That was a 'she,' Lucy Liu. There has always been some question on how long a person is *alive* when separated from seemingly vital organs. The French wondered if prisoners executed with a guillotine were cognizant.

BTW, with a hammered and folded katana, it's very probable the slice could be made.

11. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Some how i dont doubt the katana but her staying alive and speaking, if she said nothing and just stood there would have been ok for me, but guess he wouldnt be Tarantino if he missed a chance like that for a punch line

12. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

It's Tarantino, here. Stylistic director extraoridinaire. Realism is nowhere in the cards.

13. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

I've never been big on The Oscars. I just don't care about actors and actresses (which is probably a good thing).

14. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Silver Linings Playbook and Beasts of the Southern Wild both lived up to the hype.

15. Michael O

Michael O Member

I enjoy waiting for something to end then catching all episodes on Net Flix at once.

House of Cards with Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright is an amazing tale of power corrupting people. Think it was made for Net Flix.

Looking forward to watching breaking bad's final season.

Both these series have been well written. Son finally convinced me to watch House of Cards and thought it was even better than Breaking Bad.