What is the point of writing and publishing fiction?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by thetyper, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maidahl

maidahl Banned

hi. I tYpE lyKe ThIs aNd SaY tHiNgS lYkE 2Deep4U. i WrItE beCaUsE iT's mY gReAteSt PasSiOn aNd I WOuLd OtHeRwIse dIe AnD suFfoCaTe WiThOuT... WiThOuT iT. i'M AlsO PrEttY BaNal anD obNoxIouS.

Seriously though, I write because I like it when people talk about it afterwards. And so I have something to say when my family asks what the I'm doing with I'm life already.

2. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I write because I write. I have an imagination and want to tell myself stories. And I was doing it long before I thought about publishing. I find there's something simply awesome about putting your imagination down in words and then reading it. I'm not sure I can describe it any better than that. But a few years back I thought I'd see if I could make any money at it, so I published, and I haven't looked back since. Even though I'm not getting rich it's still wonderful to get that cheque or two every month, and add it to the bank account.

Cheers, Greg.

3. amecylia

amecylia New Member

I enjoy coming up with stories, and I write to share these stories.

4. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

Publishing is the final extension of your work (however you might accomplish it). For me, I used to watch movies or the few TV programs that were worth watching for entertainment. I find writing so much more interesting and energizing as an entertainment form. Trust me, my characters have much more interesting lives as well, so why wouldn't I want to spend and evening developing these characters. I have a much harder time developing the motivation to write professionally for my job. Fiction is like dessert! The ONLY downside of writing is that it takes time away from reading.

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Cus I love to write and I love to create stories :) it gives me thrill and joy and an adrenaline rush.

As for publishing - yes I want to be published, but for self-publishing that would depend on the purpose of the book. For fiction, I'd like it to be traditionally published. But I have half a mind to write a fictional piece on human-trafficking and that would be done to raise awareness and spur people into action - something like that I'd happily self-publish, because it is about being read by anyone and everyone that's important, not the sales and prestige.

6. D. Ayers Gray

D. Ayers Gray New Member

I write because I want to make people feel. I want their skin to crawl. I want to be challenged, maybe even receive hate mail. I'd rather have infamy over fame.

7. Juganhut

Juganhut Banned

I write fiction because I want others to "see what I see". I have been immersed in other authors worlds, I want people to do the same for mine.

8. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I know i'm probably never going to be published. I write as a hobby. Like someone else said, its the same feeling i get when i'm playing a game or even reading, writing takes me to a different place, gets me away from reality for a while. If somehow i do get published, I'll certainly be happy, that would be great, but just knowing that I can write, thats enough for me.

9. idle

idle Active Member

I've been asked this question several times before and I'm still not sure about the answer, so here is a provisional one: I write, because it's a challenge, something like a puzzle, and one I think I can sooner or later deal with. There are always ideas circling around my head, but the real difficulty is in turning them into something I can present to others. Therefore I'm not particularly looking for worldwide success, because I'm the one to decide whether I've accomplished the task, but first I need to know several reader's opinions to gauge how well I've done.

That said, I'm still only a few paces past the starting point and looking around.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is turning away from the original topic and becoming a clone of the sticky thread Why do you Write?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.