What is the synopsis of the stories people are writing?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by drifter265, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ach, just change it a bit. Have him there a week, and then he chews his foot off. Viewers—er, sorry, readers—of the genre will love you.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Chinspinner and 123456789 like this.
  2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I know it's based on a true story, but that guy sounds seriously stupid - why on earth would you do that all by your lonesome without so much as a way of contacting the outside world and without telling a soul before you disappear!? I am also confused about how you could possibly survive with a severed, bleeding stump of a foot in a remote area like that and having to actually climb back up the ravine after 5 days of going without food?

I nearly watched it, but then decided not to. It'd just freak me out. Was it any good?

Anyway, as to the OP:

My story is about a guy who screws up the world in order to raise the girl whom he loves back from the dead, and alternates between that timeline in the present and the past, where you follow the story of their blossoming love before the girl died. It includes magic and time travel and has the theme of "Some things can never be changed". :p

3. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    Should have no problem with copyright. Oliver Reed beats the living daylights out of Julian Clary until Germaine Greer rips off Mary Whitehouse's bra and strangles Reed with it. Whitehouse retreats to the corner yelling blasphemy.

4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

It was his arm. How do you do these things, you ask? Very easily. I've gone hiking, mountain biking, motorbiking and so on in remote areas while travelling without thinking about telling anyone. These things don't really occur until something goes wrong. The worst I had was running out of fuel but I was up a very large hill and could free wheel a lot of the way back to humanity.

Mckk likes this.
  5. Mckk

But it's just common sense - anything could happen, esp when you're alone far away from civilisation. I mean, wouldn't it just be a whole lot smarter to have told at least somebody that you're disappearing for a week or so? And I find it odd that no one thought it strange that their friend/family member has disappeared for an entire week.

But then again, I'm coming from a position of someone who doesn't take a lot of risks. I've never even been on a roller coaster cus I scare too easily and I just don't see why I'd want to do that to myself. Neither the physical exertion nor the thrill of the unknown appeals to me, so maybe that's why I don't get it lol.

Climbing with one bleeding arm on no food is still quite a feat. I guess him being physically very fit helped.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

And then you read about some moron with a jetski being rescued by RNLI when he broke down. "I was just cruising around the bay when the tide took me. I mean, who knew there'd be a tide that day?"

cutecat22 and Catrin Lewis like this.
  7. Mckk

loool :agreed: Reminds me of something I read either on here or on FB - someone watched a car drive itself onto the sandbank when there was low tide. Obviously the car got stuck. Driver desperately tried to back the car up but to no avail. Then the tide came in. Guy was safe but not so much his car. Stupid is expensive... :rofl:

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Damn, my stories are fairly run-of-the-mill ordinary.

Fantasy
    A young girl finds herself in a conflict that threatens to send her land imploding into civil war/a revolution.

Sci-Fi
    The adventures of a captain and her crew. There may be a 'liberate the planet' plotline, except the planet isn't Earth.

Historical Mystery
    Set in some point in American history, in a fictional town. Someone not of the law enforcement plays detective and tangles with real bad guys. Surprisingly, no one raises a question as to why this random civilian decided to appoint him/herself as the town's judge and jury. :p Or why there's always a crime when that person is around.

9. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Main Project: "Millenial"
    A TV news reporter in the year 2034 gets her dream job at a national 24-hour news network, only to discover that "America's Most-Watched News Channel" is hopelessly corrupted by a ruthless and megalomaniacal editor-in-chief. She's sucked into a major news story involving the election of a new Pope, and then accidentally becoemes a national celebrity (and rival power to her editor) when she secures the rights to the first post-election sit-down interview with a minor cardinal, who then surprisingly gets elected Pope.

Side Project: "Haruwin"
    In an alternate 2014, a graduate student in History is forced to confront the Faustian bargain of civilization - the fact that development, democracy, and human rights only evolve after a culture has confronted the demons of racism, war, and genocide - while searching for the true narrative of her nation...a Native American tribe who survived to become a modern, first world power through aggressive Christianization and full-integration into the European-led world order.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Christopher Snape. likes this.
  10. bob jones2

bob jones2 Guest

This guys sounds like he's got it pretty much figured out.

11. Commandante Lemming

....Especially if he's actually George R.R. Martin

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, some people are into gritty, dark fantasy novels. :D

13. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

A story told by a guy on a space ship where they search the galaxy for an alien ship. Previously, the alien fought the captain of the space ship, leaving the captain without an arm. The captain wants revenge. The name of the alien ship is the Mighty Richard. I think its pretty original and has some promise.

kfmiller likes this.
  14. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

An Egyptian god and a Greek goddess get it on. Many times. Along the way the goddess learns what it means to love. Awww... And then she wreaks revenge on those who have wronged her. And they live happily ever after because Romance novels require HEA for some reason I don't fully understand.

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have two:

1) Is about a criminal and an intellectual who find one another under improbable circumstance. The criminal holds the fate of mankind in his hands, the intellectual holds the fate of the criminal's heart. They find love and healing through explorations of alien lives and one another. (and yes, I mean bow-chica-wow-wow) ;)

2) A prince and a not-quite-pauper, each secure in that they understand how the world turns, learn through one another that the world turns differently for each and every one of us. Adventure, high seas, and a quest for their origin lead them to understanding, and also, yes, bow-chica-wow-wow. ;)

Tesoro and BayView like this.
  16. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

1. Amnesiac in a weird idiosyncratic small town who learns his name, falls in love with a cunning young girl who could be manipulating his investigation into serial murders. But the whole thing is really about identity.

2. A family moves into a strange house which they cannot leave. And they quickly become slaves to it's strange idiosyncrasies to keep it happy. It's really about perfection.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  17. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Have you been reading houseblogs lately? :D

18. Catrin Lewis

Moby Dick?

(Hey, ideas are a dime a dozen. It's what you do with them.)

123456789 likes this.
  19. Catrin Lewis

A 55-year-old widow is on the verge of fulfilling her lifelong dream of developing a plant nursery and demonstration garden. Singing Lake Farm will be more than her livelihood, it will be a memorial to her late husband and son, and she's willing to sacrifice everything she has to establish it. But once she does, she may find that the land she's bought hides something that was not in her plans . . .

GingerCoffee and peachalulu like this.
  20. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Boy, Girl, sex, lies, death, life.

21. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Another I have on the go:

Boy, boy, no sex, disillusionment, suicide. An inspiring and heartwarming tale (really - it sounds more depressing than it actually is!)

Dunning Kruger likes this.
  22. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Another:

In a sort of old-west setting, a man is fleeing oppressive religious authorities. He cheats and lies his way to freedom - we hope!

23. Commandante Lemming

...so what you're saying is it's all about robots then :p

cutecat22 likes this.
  24. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

:rofl::rofl:

Not quite ...

OK, Here you go ... I realize that this is not strictly a synopsis but this is from the back cover of my book:

Alexandra Dinapoli has everything she could ever wish for, except what she really wants.

Leaving her family behind, she heads to New York City and starts on a journey to make her own way in the world.

Whilst there, she bumps in Gabriel Harland, an enigmatic Chief Assistant District Attorney with whom she begins a love affair that is cruelly cut short when someone from her past surfaces in Gabriel's life.

Will their relationship be worth fighting for or will the truth tear them apart?

Join Alexandra on her journey as she discovers the tenderness of new love, the sorrow of losing someone close, the pulse racing suspense of running from the past the anger of not being in control and the admission that some sacrifices have to be made for the sake of others.

Ties That Bind is a story of love and life, light and shade, a story told from both sides,

Synopsis from the WIP:

What happens next ...

25. Commandante Lemming

Yup, classic robot sci-fi premise.

cutecat22 likes this.