1. Vroom Vroom Daddy

Vroom Vroom Daddy New Member

What is Utopia?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vroom Vroom Daddy, Feb 18, 2007.

I'm having trouble finding a good definition of paradise. I thought it was straight forward but I'm finding that different people and cultures have radically ideas of what an ideal world would be. If anybody has any comments I would appreciate them.

2. E-bow

E-bow Banned

Utopia is a place where all problems are ended. That is paradise. However seeing as were all different and have conflicting views of good and bad, this is not possible. Also people have a tendency to create trouble even when things are going well. Utopia is also a place in the future that will save humans from pain. That simple. Pain, there is pain in problems. The thing is, Utopia can never arrive, for it is always a place in the future that will save you. And you never quite make it to the future, because even as you reach another space in time, it is always 'now'. Hmm, I'm not sure what i'm saying, I think I need some sleep. Hope that helps.

~E-bow

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Utopia cannot exist as long as people have free will. And without free will Utopia cannot exist.

4. Kincaid

Kincaid New Member

I have to agree with E-bow and Domoviye on this one. The only way paradice could exist would be if everyone got along and agreed on everything. That is impossible.

5. Myst

Myst Active Member

Like Domoviye so aptly put;

Utopia will never exist as long as people have free choice of opinion and outlook. (wherein different viewpoints would inevitably conflict) However, if everybody thought the same, the concept of Utopia would be non-existent and not appealing, because there would be no ideal world anymore.

Which is why it's called a myth.

6. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Ever seen Little Nicky's version of Heaven?

There's your utopia, where every day is your birthday!

7. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Utopia is a place we can all find, it dwells within all of us.

Utopia is when you reach a certain time in your life wheere you are happy, it is not something that will ever exist world wide, but exist within our own individual hearts.

When you fall in love it is a little piece of utopia, when a woman gives birth to a newborn child it is a little touch of utopia, there is a little piece of uptopia in everything good in this world.

All you have to do is open your eyes up and you will see that there is such a place and we have all had a little piece of it. Utopia is happiness and love and wonder and I have not met one person yet who can say that they have honestly never experienced that at all so there you go, that is Utopia. The good things in life that we all experience even if not at all very often, we all have experienced it.

Ariella

8. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

I can agree with that to some extent.

9. ariella

ariella New Member

Basically paradise and utopia is whatever you want it to be.

We all experience it in some small way you gotta decide what it is to you.

Ariella

10. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Let me explain a little.

There are far too many children who have never known a friendly voice, received the simplest kindness, or even had the satisfaction of a proper meal. Some have never even felt the sun on their face.
    So yeah people can get a sense of what utopia could be, but not everyone reaches even that limited sense.

11. ariella

ariella New Member

Ok I see your point there.

Ariella

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'utopia' is a philosophical ideal, in re a theory of government and 'paradise' a religious term for 'heaven'... thus, they are not interchangeable...

in common usage, utopia is seen as a peaceful place where life is easy and stress free... while paradise is still mostly thought of where one goes after death...

however, to some, the latter is just a much more desirable place than where one is at the moment... which would make the two terms pretty much interchangeable...

so, it all depends on the context... and each person's idea of what would constitute one or the other will most likely differ from others'...

to slaves, either one would be a place where they are free... to the homeless, a nice, comfy home and plenty to eat... to the rich, a place where there's no income tax.. to a devout christian, a place by god's/christ's side, where they'll be with the 'chosen few'... to a muslim suicide bomber, a harem amid his allotted/earned 72 virgins... and so on...

13. Vroom Vroom Daddy

Maybe we're thinking too big, I agree with everyone that an overreaching worldwide utopia is impossible. However what if some one was granted THEIR utopia. My ideal world is undoubtedly in conflict with yours but who said you get a vote? That theory worked for every major group from the church of england to the nazis. Why are they wrong and everyone else right? What happens if someone actually gets to decide paradise and enact it into reality? Would it make the world better in the long run? Would it make the world worse in the short run but be better in the long term?

14. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Well my idea of Utopia has me effectively being on a constant state of near bliss, plus all the time in the world to contemplate my navel. With All my needs met before I even think of them, and the outside world ceases to matter.

I would say that would be bad for the world. Or at least my servants. :D

15. Vroom Vroom Daddy

And thus my point is confirmed.

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Utopia is life, being brought into this world. It is everything about life, the good and the bad.

Utopia is whatever you want it to be, and personally I see it as being absolutely everything in life. There is NO good without the bad. It can not happen, so therefore Utopia is what we already have but are just too blinded to see that...

Well that is just my opinion anyways.

17. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

bahh! noway. This is not utopia. Your in a happy bubble!! Utopia is the perfect life the perfect world. If this is YOUR perfect life and world then more power to ya, but for the rest of us chumps we want more. Call me greedy? I like to think I am more of a dreamer.

My utopia is no poverty and a sense of wellbeing in every soul. badda bing -badda boo

18. phAntAsmAgoriA

phAntAsmAgoriA New Member

I'm choking on the saccharinity of this:p No offense. It's just so sentimental and optimistic.

As Vroom Vroom Daddy stated, utopia differs from culture to culture because different cultures have different spiritualities, values, morals, and et cetera. In other words, each culture has its own idea of "truth." Being a deconstructionist, myself, I believe that we make truths for ourselves (i.e. Either we can't know the truth or there is no truth, so cultures create them in order to give life purpose). So, what I'm trying to say here, is that I don't believe utopia exists.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

duh... of course it doesn't exist!... that's the whole point... the 'utopian ideal' is impossible to achieve, thanks to humankind's resistance to doing what's helpful, over what's harmful... ...