1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

4th Wall in Children's Narrative

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by Steerpike, Oct 3, 2016.

My current project is targeted at readers in about fifth or sixth grade. The stories are in third person, but I am considering the having a narrator at the beginning who addresses the reader. The general idea is that it becomes clear to the reader that they find themselves in a similar position to the children in each of the stories, for whom things did not end well. Kids may think that's cool, and it may add to the creepiness factor of the book. There are a few ways I can do this:

1) Forget the 4th wall and just make it clear through the stories themselves what is going on. This was my initial approach, but it resulted in some forced language in the stories that I didn't like.

2) Have a narrator just at the beginning, warning the reader through maybe only a handful of sentences.

3) Have the narrator at the beginning, then have the narrator pop up every story or two to provide some commentary and reinforce the warning.

4) Have the narrator at the beginning, but leave all the stories uninterrupted and have the narrator take a parting shot at the reader at the very end.

Which, if any, of those approaches do my fellow forum members like?

2. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Definitely go with #4.
    I think if you go with #3 it might invite lazy writing. That is you'll rely on this convenient way to get the story across.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Thanks! The more I think about #3, I think it also starts to look gimmicky to have the narrator pop in after every story. I'd rather keep it toned down. I appreciate the input.