1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

What is your favorite young adult novel targeted to males

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Justin Rocket 2, Sep 17, 2015.

as per title

2. Evangeline Rose

Evangeline Rose New Member

Personally, I really liked the Jasper Dent Trilogy by Barry Lyga. I discovered it early last year when I stopped by my school's book fair during lunch to buy a "Valentine's Day present" for myself and picked up the first book, I Hunt Killers. It's a YA crime thriller series centered around Jasper "Jazz" Dent, the teenaged son of notorious serial killer Billy Dent. The first book in the series deals with a copycat killer, whom Jazz (along with his best friend Howie and girlfriend Connie) is determined to help the police catch in order to prove that he is not like his father.

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I think you may need to be more specific about what you mean by "targeted towards males." What fits that criteria for you? Action sequences? Certains theme? No love story? Or just having a male MC? I think that's probably why you haven't gotten any responses until now. It's a very vague question that is difficult to answer without specifics.

Evangeline Rose and Steerpike like this.
  4. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

I mean that the MC is male, that he approaches relationships (including love relationships) in a manner characteristic of males, that the problems he has (for example. social pressure to be athletic or uncertainty about how and when to talk about emotions) are handled the way males handle them (acknowledging the "guy code", teamwork and finding one's place in a team, physical expression of emotions (such as spending time running or beating a punching bag when feeling frustrated because he doesn't know how or even if he should talk about it), etc.

In short, I mean MCs that the boy reader can see truthiness in and identify with.

5. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

They're Japanese light novels/manga, but I really enjoyed Toradora. While its a romance, the male protagonist fits basically all the criteria written above, except he's more of a loner, and a bit more open about expression because he grew up with a single mom.