1. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

What is your hour/word count goal of the day when writing?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by LuminousTyto, Aug 1, 2012.

What would you say your level of seriousness is towards writing? Is it a hobbie? Are you spending 5-8 hours a day trying to make a career out of it? What's your daily hour/word count goal per day? Do you write 5 days a week? 7? 3?

2. QDesjardin

QDesjardin New Member

Ideally, I would strive for ~2000 words per day, five days a week -- the other two days so I can recoup. When I did NaNoWriMo some years earlier (where you have to do 50,000 words in one month), I had to average 1,667 words every day. It was tiring.

3. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

Thanks for the reply.

4. Kenn

Kenn New Member

I write until I am satisfied. Writing is a hobby to me and I don't force it. I am satisfied when I get up and leave the paper for 10 mins and something I wrote is stuck in my head.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

If I can get into a groove - I'll stay there and write four , five hours a night. Key word if. No t.v., no movies , no going out - pure writing.
    Telling everyone politely to buzz off.

If I let everything else seep in , distract me it's harder to get into that groove. My writing is definitely not a hobby. I work real
    hard at it - If I don't write , I read.
    I try to make goals - but often life comes in and trips them up. I strive for a good five pages a day , if not - a good scene
    a page or two will do.

6. Juganhut

Juganhut Banned

Hmm. I wrote a 60,000 word novel in three weeks. I did not write every day, and some I wrote much less than others. IF I wrote every day that would be around 2,800, but some days I know I wrote closer to 8k.

It's all about motivation. When you have it in your mind, put it on paper as soon as you can, and when you feel like you have nothing more left, just stop and do something else until something pops in your head. Setting a word goal just stresses you out.