1. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

What is your reason you sometime leave writing a story incomplete ?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mans, Mar 23, 2013.

I think it happens to some writers that they start writing a story at a time but after they wrote some of the pieces they leave off writing the rest of that story. If you have had such experience what is your reason herein ?

2. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický Senior Member

Hey, you just have to keep yourself excited and if you are not, such writing will be for what kind of people then?

3. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

What??!

4. TimHarris

TimHarris Senior Member

I do this all the time with short stories. Sometimes, I realize the story just is just not as good as I wanted it to be, and I want to spend time on another idea instead.

5. Teodor Pravický

What what?

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I think what Teodor is saying is that if you're not excited about a particular story, then just shelve it for a later date (or for forever, if you'd like.) If you're not excited, it will show in the writing. People have a keen way of spotting whether or not a writer enjoyed what he/she was writing about. :D

7. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

I didn't get what you said. Did you criticize about my question or about my writing (grammar) ? Meanwhile, your diction was not friendly and I don't like that someone speaks to me harshly.

8. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Chill man, Mans :D (sorry for the pun) Teodor wasn't being harsh - he replied with a fairly poorly-structured sentence but that was nonetheless very friendly, and then when you didn't understand, Teodor just made a joke, that's all. Laugh a little.

All Teodor meant was: if you're not excited about your own story, then who are you writing your story for? If you're not excited about your own story, no one else will be either, so what's the point?

Case closed ;)

9. Teodor Pravický

Dam, you guys are so helpful ;)

10. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

Thank you McKK for your enlightening. I am not very sensitive about others' talking but refer to the previous post of Teodor and see how he called me with an assertively tune :

while he could say : " Hi, Mans ..." or similar. However, no matter and we both pass beside this small issue

You requested me to laugh, yes I do what you like :)

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'hey' is not rude, mans... it's just a slang version of 'hi' and a friendly way to start a reply... nothing to be upset about...

12. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Sometimes I leave off a short story when I hit a snag in the story, a kind of road block. Right now I've gone and back and
    forth with one of my short stories - The house on the Moon because I wasn't sure what would happen when they got there.
    I've finally thought of an option but it only takes me so far. In this way - I sometimes write my story in stages.

13. rhduke

rhduke Contributing Member Reviewer

It's the part of me I hate most about myself. I can't even count how many projects I've started but not finished. A lot of them have beginnings I love a lot, but halfway I get stuck. I don't want to write anything that will ruin what I've already written. It's something I slap myself for but still haven't gotten over. I think for me, I stop because I can't keep up with the pace I started with. I always think I'll turn it to trash and disappoint the reader.

14. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

Thank you mammamaia I understood. I think it is because I am not familiar with the slang phrases anymore also I excuse Teodor because of my misunderstanding :)

15. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

the main piece id spent several years working on was becoming way too complicated for my liking, too many characters in a forever changing plot, ugh, it was a pain to write as well so i ditched it for both mine and the story's sake!

16. Thom

Thom Member

I'm flighty and tend to skip around from genre and idea and back again. Sometimes things just get 'shelved' until a later date. And if that later date was ten years ago
    and I still haven't come back to it, then it just stays waiting...

And ChaosReigns, an option could be to take just one thread out of what has turned into an overly cumbersome storyline and develop it on its own. That way the story stays alive, even in a diminished state.

17. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

thanks for the idea Thom, i have it buried somewhere at the moment, i may dig it out when i have my two horror ideas a lot more progressed than they are, its a tangled mess like my box full of cables

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I have several unfinished stories, but I fully intend to finish them when I get a chance.

Only once have I ever abandoned a story entirely. I came up with characters I like and what I think is an interesting situation for them to be in, but they stubbornly refused to do anything. I tried about five different ways of writing it. I even changed the setting to a post-apocalyptic world to see if that would help. It didn't. I finally had to face the fact that I just didn't have a story. Characters? Sure. Setting? Yes. Situation? Absolutely. Story? Apparently not. I wrote a few pages and ran into a brick wall. I've never been so frustrated as a writer. I just had to bury the poor thing and carry on with something else.

19. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I have had story ideas and i began to write them out and unfortunately i have abandoned them i'm not proud of it, but i have done it.

20. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I believe that this is a misunderstanding. You objected to the line:

Hey, you just have to keep yourself excited and if you are not, such writing will be for what kind of people then?

I assume that you're hearing the first two words as "Hey, you!" But that's not what they meant. You can use "hey" in front of any assertion, as a casual way of starting the sentence. So:

"The bakery's open." can become "Hey, the bakery's open."
    or "Hey, it's almost lunchtime."
    or "Hey, do you know where I put my shoes?"

So his original sentence was:

"You have to keep yourself excited..."

And then he introduced it with "Hey," thus making it:

"Hey, you have to keep yourself excited..."

I don't know if this clarifies the issue at all, but it seemed worth a try. :)

21. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

But I haven't seen anybody call another thus in the forums. usually they call each other by username or basically none. Also it seemed he was addressing proudly.

22. Teodor Pravický

Tell me about it, they told me twice in here I'm moron ;)

23. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

No, I see you are a writer but I think you write more the combativeness story, when a commander orders a solider : " hey, you" and the soldier must reply him : " yes, sir " :D

24. Teodor Pravický

What is your problem, Mans? I'm not really a solider fan, you see our army forfeit the battle same day Hitler came in. But I heard that certain somebody else have his country at war right now ;)

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

go back a page and read chickenfreak's explanation of this, mans... it's quite clear... he was NOT addressing you as 'hey, you!'... the first word of his advice was 'you'... as in 'you have to do this....' in giving you advice... and he simply put 'hey' in front of it, as one might start that same sentence with 'well'..

so get it out of your head that he was saying 'hey, you!'... he was not...