What is your spirit animal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jazzabel, May 16, 2014.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My spirit guide is the chipmunk. I don't often remember dreams, but on the rare occasions that I'm having disturbing dreams, she sometimes scampers in and scolds at me. She is chaos, and she is a prankster. She plays counterpoint to my natural organized state.

Yes, part of me believes in spirit guides. I don't understand, but I accept. A very dear friend of mine had a raven as a spirit guide. When she died, several of her friends visited one of her favorite places, a redwood forest. As we were leaving, a single raven called out to us; the only one we heard the entire time we were there. One clear call, and that was it. None of us spoke until we had left the forest far behind. It was that powerful an experie c.

Andrae Smith, Delise, jannert and 3 others like this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I think it's either stingray or mantaray (or both?). I think it's the stingray, but I've also dreamt of mantarays a lot. Maybe it's just a ray :D

Another option is the European hare. I bump into them almost every time I go out jogging (granted, Finland is hare country).

Or maybe my spirit animals are birds. I saw two birds poop yesterday when they were hopping on the grass and I was biking by. Could that be a message from the spirit world? o_O:D

T.Trian and jazzabel like this.
  3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I still have no idea what my spirit/totem animal is. :meh:

I've done a few online tests, I've read about them etc, but I haven't "felt" any of them yet. I do feel drawn to quite a few different animals, especially bears, (manta- & sting) rays, cats, hares, megatheriums, horses, and hedgehogs, but I can't tell which one's my spirit buddy.

I have connected with a few individual animals (our second family cat and one of the horses @KaTrian used to groom, RIP, both of you), but... how do I know? Since his death, the cat has visited my dreams quite a few times, but I don't know if he's my spirit animal or if it's something else entirely.

Any ideas? :confused:

123456789 likes this.
  4. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala New Member

So the tests say I'm either a cat or a wolf, though of the two I definitely relate more to cats. Cats and leopards are my two favourite animals. I wouldn't claim to know what my spirit animal was without some sort of insight from a shaman or at least someone who was into this sort of stuff. I'm terrified of spiders but love snakes, and have been viciously mauled by a German Shepard, though I love dogs. Not sure if there's any connection between that and what my spiritual or shadow animal could be...

I have a very strange story that makes me believe in this sort of stuff, and especially reincarnation. My friend has been obsessed with sharks his whole life; he had sharks on his blankets as a kid and drew sharks all the time growing up and to this day. He's an amazing artist and is especially talented at street art. Years ago he was doing some illegal graffiti near a local train station, while I was on lookout for cops and to get high up on this wall he had to climb up an electricity pole. While he was doing his graff he slipped, and as he was quite high up he instinctively grabbed on to the electricity wire to save himself and had 20,000 volts of electricity surge through him. I freaked the hell out and called both the cops and the ambulance and they arrived quick smart and he got to the hospital ok. His hand had burned badly and he lost toes on his foot and had a hole in his head. A few months later we were staying at a hotel in another state on the 10th floor or something and an old lady opened the door and pointed at him saying 'you're the burned one', we were genuinely shocked and confused by this because my friend was in fact quite burnt, and then someone came in and apologised and put an arm around her to coach her to leave and as she left she said to my friend 'in your past life you were eaten by a shark'. I'll never forget that.

Anyway, here's a short interview with that friend of mine where he talks about the accident with the graffiti, though he doesn't mention the shark incident because anyone he tells that story to thinks he's crazy.

Poziga and jazzabel like this.
  5. Delise

Delise Member

If you're really close to the cat it might just be checking in on you. It could also be trying to communicate or it could just be after thoughts in your mind. Only you can know what it really is inside of you.

I'm obsessed with anything panda but my spirit animal is a dog. In my family some how we just know whose animal is whose. But how or why we know is another story.

6. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

@T.Trian Your cat or horse would be consider your Familiars, not your spirit animal. Familiars are individual animals, not the species as a whole, that feels a special connection to you.

Some people don't have a spirit animal! It's pretty common. But now that you're looking into it, I wouldn't be surprised if you get one soon. :rolleyes:

T.Trian likes this.
  7. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

I don't think I have a real spirit animal or totem of any kind. But I feel strangely related to cats.

Edit: Since I was a kid, now that I think of it, I tend to notice the presence of crows on days when something important has or is going to happen. Maybe it means something.

jazzabel likes this.
  8. Lea`Brooks

Crows are considered to be the messengers of the animal world. :) It's very common for them to appear when something is about to happen.

jazzabel likes this.
  9. Lea`Brooks

That's incredible! I'm a firm believer in reincarnation. I've had a few... psychics... mention some of my past lives.. But that's a conversation for another time. :p

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

The only time I felt any animal that seemed to have a special connection with me was someone's pet dog. I didn't even know its owners. I was lying on the grass reading, and this dog came and sat next to me with its frisbee. It went away, then came back again, and went away, and came back again - each time he sat a bit closer, all the way till it put its frisbee on my shoes lol. I removed the frisbee, and the dog promptly put it there again. So I figured it wanted to play and threw the frisbee. It ran for it and brought it back. After the second or third time, its owners called it. I still remember how the dog looked at its owners but didn't move. It's like it didn't want to go. Eventually of course it did go, and that was it. I don't think it's anything spiritual but it was still pretty special.

If Familiars are individual animals that have a special connection with you, then my dad's would have been our pet hamster. It escaped from its cage and every evening it would sneak into my parents' bedroom and it would lie on my dad's pillow beside him, and then in the morning it would leave before he woke up. My parents only found out because the hamster left a trail of droppings lol but for ages they couldn't find where the break was in the cage.

While I don't believe in spirit animals or familiars, I'd love to have one of each :D

Poziga and jazzabel like this.
  11. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Good story @Mckk! :)

I also don't believe in spiritual animals, but if I paraphrase the question to "Which animal would you choose to be" it would definitely be a golden eagle. Not because it can fly, it's beautiful, fast or a good hunter. It's because I think it represents the absolute freedom. The way they fly and observe the world beneath it's just fascinating.

jazzabel and Mckk like this.
  12. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

The test says I'm a hummingbird! Perfect! I love it. :)

jazzabel likes this.
  13. T.Trian

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that.

I hope so, it'd be kinda nice although I don't really take these things all that seriously. Not sure why the roll-eyes though. Is it frowned upon if one actively looks for their spirit animal? Is it preferable if you happen upon it by accident?

14. Lea`Brooks

I didn't mean it as an eye roll, I'm sorry. :( It was supposed to be more of a wistfully hopeful happy face. I should really pay more attention to what these faces are called. :p And there's nothing wrong with actively looking. It's very natural, actually!

T.Trian likes this.
  15. T.Trian

@Lea`Brooks, no problem, I figured it was something like that, just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something that's considered bad form or some such among those who know more about the subject :)

Come to think of it, I should probably google actual articles about spirit animals instead of just going through a couple of tests since some of the multiple choices didn't really allow for accurate answers.

16. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@Lea`Brooks : So what would be the best way to figure out what our spirit animal is, vs shadow and totem?

17. Lea`Brooks

The best way is meditation, but if that isn't something you are used to doing, it can take a while to get it down right. Sometimes they may come to you in a dream. I've had that happen on several occasions. A raccoon and a fawn. They were pretty awesome dreams. But the easiest, but most difficult, way to find them is just to pay attention to your surroundings. Your animals, whether journey, message, shadow, or totem, will often appear to you regularly in the world, but in bazaar ways. For example, if you see cardinals several times a day, it's probably not your spirit animal. But if a cardinal flies up and lands on your car's side mirror, then the next day lands on your porch, or the next day you see one flying around inside a building, there's a good chance it's your spirit animal.

That's what I experienced when I found my message totem. Moths are typically small and brown where I'm from. So when I started seeing brightly colored and incredibly large ones perched in my normal smoking spot, or flying around my back door or into my house, I knew they were trying to get my attention.

The best way to know if it's your spirit animal or your message or journey totem is to look it up online when you find it. Moths are a symbol of change and transformation. So when they appeared to me, I knew a change was coming. Owls are a symbol of knowledge and learning, something I strive to do every day, so I knew that owls were my spirit animal and not my journey or message totem. But it's easy to misinterpret it. The biggest difference between them is that message, journey, and shadow totems are only there while you need them, and spirit animals are there for a longer period. Spirit animals do change though, because you will grow and you will change. Your spirit animal will change with you. Owls weren't always mine. It was a raccoon before. And I feel another change coming. My interest in owls is waning and other animals are starting to call to me. But which one will make it to the front of the pack is yet to be seen! :)

18. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

According to the quiz I am a pretty little butterfly.

19. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

The Finns did it again. Love it!

20. T.Trian

Did what? :meh:

21. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Reminds me of the time KaTrian was talking about waking up your neighbors because you decided to learn juggling at one in the morning, and I was thinking, wtf would even think of that?

22. T.Trian

When one lives in the middle of a frozen forest year in, year out with nothing but polar bears and booze to keep us company, one has to get creative.

jazzabel, 123456789 and Okon like this.
  23. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Because I'm such a terrible procrastinator, my spirit animal has long been extinct for having played all summer and not gotten his food stores in order.

jazzabel likes this.
  24. T.Trian

That reminds me: I've suspected my spirit animal may also be the megatherium, aka giant sloth. They were awesome.

jazzabel likes this.
  25. HealSomeBabies

HealSomeBabies Member

My spirit animal is a jaguar chained, who revealed itself to me when I made a fateful google search. The beast called, and I was compelled to answer.

I want to see the jaguar freed, and he wants to see me succeed.