Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

What it's like when President Obama gets mad

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Lea`Brooks, Mar 10, 2015.

Reggie Love, Obama's former personal aid while on the campaign trail, has just released a new memoir, entitled Power Forward: My Presidential Education.

MSN.com published an article, heavily quoting that book, entitled, "Here's what it's like when President Obama gets mad." The article picks and chooses several sections from the memoir, pinpointing how Obama acts when he's upset.

There was a situation in which Love accidentally left Obama's bag behind after they were airborne. Love was able to contact the Secret Service, locate the bag, and have it delivered to them at their destination. He hoped Obama wouldn't discover his error, but when he did, Love had this to say in his memoir:

(FYI, the article actually says "clam" here.... I hope the book doesn't say that.)

There are many more examples.. My main question is: who looks bad here? Obama, Love, or MSN.com?

When my husband first read the article, he texted me and told me about it. He said "MSN.com is really making him look like an asshole." But I disagreed. At first, it seemed as though Reggie Love was trying to make Obama look like an asshole. Then I wondered, does Reggie Love himself look like an asshole because he screwed up and tried to make Obama look bad? Or was that even what he was trying to do?

I don't know why this article jumped out at me. It just seems like such a tabloid, celebrity thing to do to the president of a country, and I'm really quite annoyed by it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Discuss.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My gut reaction was that Obama was a bit too hard on Love if this was his first offense. If I were in Obama's shoes, I would've said something like, "Look, that was a dumb move you did. Please do better next time, OK?" Did Love screw up his job multiple times before this?

But yeah, I could see why Obama might have gotten frustrated if this wasn't the first time. He's kinda got a job to do, and if he doesn't have what he needs, then he can't really do his job. He isn't a babysitter.

I dunno, that's just my gut reaction. I'd need to read more details before I reach an accurate conclusion.

As for tabloids? Eh, they do this all the time with all celebrities from all over the world. I just ignore it.

3. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

He has a stressful job, I can't blame him for snapping now and then. When I read about the antics of arsehats like Gordon Brown screaming the No 10 offices down it seems very mild.

What did strike me was the amusing corporate-speak he used though. As if he's been on a management training course.

If it had been me my reaction would have been- "You fucked up, but you sorted it out- slapped wrist and well done in equal measure."

Link the Writer likes this.
  4. Link the Writer

Damn, I forgot the '...but you fixed it, well done' part. I'd be a very strict, no-nonsense president, it would seem. :p

As for the 'management training course' thing, that might be how he disciplines. He tells them to basically step up their game if they slack off, it's what I'd do if I were the boss (er, well, president in this case, but y'know.) The point is, if someone doesn't have the tools to do his/her job, then how is he/she supposed to do the job? It doesn't matter if you're the leader of a country, or an entry-level construction worker. If you don't have the tools, you ain't getting the job done.

Anyone else think this is an odd debate we're having? We're basically debating whether or not Obama was too hard on Love for being forgetful. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Did y'all read the article? There was a lot more examples in there. The one I quoted was only the first one given.

I guess this was a silly thread to post. Ah, well. Lesson learned.

6. Link the Writer

@Lea`Brooks - What's the topic you want us to debate? Whether or not the book made Obama look bad? Make Love look bad?

7. Chinspinner

Honestly no, I responded to the one example.

8. Link the Writer

Let me read the article. Something I probably should've done in the first place. Heh, maybe I need to get my act together.

9. Chinspinner

Ok I've read it, and on the limited information Love seems incompetent and Obama seems excessively tetchy.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Okay.
    Someone has to do a newspaper cartoon caricature of Obama hoding a clam with a bubble saying "Look here..." and the other guy looks terrified.

Mckk likes this.
  11. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

I think it makes Obama look good. Now if only he actually did do his job...

12. Chinspinner

On the management thing, the firms I work in all have a fairly flat structure but there are people who work under me on my projects (at the moment their aren't because I've just moved and I'm still waiting for projects to kick off). Basically my view is that people work to earn their rent and beer money; they do not want to be belittled, shouted at, scolded; they just want to do their job, receive praise where its due, avoid a fuck up and try to avoid someone piling unnecessary stress on them.

The thing I hate more than anything are people apportioning blame. We all fuck up now and then and the important thing is to satisfactorily resolve it. If the fuck up is minor then what is the point of escalating it; if the fuck up is major (as in getting sued major) then I have greater things to worry about than which individual was at fault (unless it is a pattern of incompetence). I see a lot of people who spend their time apportioning blame rather than resolving issues and it annoys me immensely. This is why I think Obama was a bit of a dick for not acknowledging that the fuck up was satisfactorily resolved in the above example.

They are my two cents anyway.

Shadowfax, Mckk and Swiveltaffy like this.
  13. CMacgregor93

CMacgregor93 Member

It depends on who you believe. Obama or Love?

14. Link the Writer

Assuming it really happened as stated, here's how I would've reacted if I were the POTUS and my assistant made all those mistakes:

<Forgetting my briefcase>
    "<sighs> Look, I need you to be smart about this OK? I can't really do my job properly if we have to run around like this. We fixed it, yes, but try not to make this a habit."

<Giving me the wrong food>
    "Ah...um, thanks. Thanks, yes, thanks." <thinks about saving it for a snack later in case I'm in the mood for it>

15. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Why would Obama be an asshole for expecting people to do their damn jobs?

I wouldn't say Love came across as an asshole, either, but he definitely seemed self-absorbed. I mean, how many things does Obama have to worry about, but still Reggie assumes his own screw ups are determining the man's every mood? Seems unlikely.

The article seemed pointless, to me. I mean, big headline: President Obama Expects Staff to do Their Jobs and Speaks to Them When They Don't. Hold the presses?

16. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

If those are the worst examples Love can come up with, in five years of something as stressful as a presidential campaign and a presidency, it sounds like Obama has superhuman civility and calm.

Love sounds a few years younger than the 21 that the article says he was when the job started. I'm getting a vibe more like a sixteen year old who's shocked and dismayed that the boss at their first job might criticize them.

BayView likes this.
  17. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Active Member

Lol,methinks there are worse stories about him getting mad

I'm imagining some Dave Chapelle rantings a la Rick James..

'I'm Barack Obama,bitch!'

Putin would just fire Love's ass. Literally,with a gun.

18. DiscoMacaque

DiscoMacaque Member

I wanted to throw this into the discussion! Forgetting your suitcase as a civilian--no big deal at all. Even having it stolen, you can generally recover from. Go replace all of the items, seek out help from friends and family during the transition. If this was you or I the mistake would be the equivalent having to run back out to your car for a pen. I think working in the president's office probably requires (and should) an extremely high level of attention to detail. One small fuckup in one instance could mean a quick reparative phone call, or it could mean an unimaginable safety risk. I guess it's kind of funny that he so often does NOT lose his temper that a few comments here and there are newsworthy.

19. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

So... What's in the bag? Seems like a dumb question until... Well you consider this is the President. Perhaps it was just useless stuff. I mean it's doubtful that it's on par with the football.

There actually could be something in the bag that could be very necessary or at the very least very useful in the case of some emergency. Or it could just be a change I clothes and a toothbrush.

As for the other excerpts... I'm to lazy to read them. Actually it's kind if hard to believe that there wouldn't be these kinds of moments. Hell I'd expect even the occasional really nasty moments. Not exactly a stress free job.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

This is Love, quoting Obama.

Obama hasn't responded (that I know of).

So we've only got one version.

If it's true (as in, the dialogue is verbatim), then Obama may not have handled it with the best man-management in the world, but he's got a stressful enough job.

If it's slightly coloured, then Love is a kiss-and-tell...who's not even very good at kissing.

21. Link the Writer

I think we may have missed the point of the OP. It wasn't asking if Obama was an ass to his own assistant (he wasn't), it was why tabloids pounce on random things such as this and make headlines about it. Bayview said it best, why is a person who expects his/her employees to do what's being asked and gets impatient when its not done so important? Even if the bag contained nothing but Obama's clothes, everyone had to drop what they were doing to go get it which meant the real job wasn't getting done.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

23. DiscoMacaque

DiscoMacaque Member

Here's one pretty innocent scenario that would be awful, but definitely not the worst case. What if the bag had his laptop, notes, and papers that he needed to use to prep for a talk with a foreign delegate, taking place right when they landed? It's not like the president has a ton of down time. Everything is painstakingly scheduled. I would be extremely mad if I showed up for an important meeting unprepared and looking like an asshat.

I think tabloids pounce on random things because it works! People are swayed by stories that they can relate to. The average person has messed up at his or her job, and would more likely sympathize with the person who made an honest mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.