1. ArcticOrchid

ArcticOrchid Member

What kind of emotion do you find hardest to convey to the reader

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ArcticOrchid, Jan 9, 2016.

What emotions do you want the reader to feel when they are reading?

Many genres are defined by how the reader is supposed to feel whilst reading it, like dramas, but most include all elements like drama and comedy.

So comedy and laughter is not exactly an emotion but hopefully you know what I mean. It´s easy to create sadness, people are sad when a character they liked died. When the world is unfair. When puppies are abused ect. People get angry when there is injustice and hate.

But people don´t laugh at the same thing. Some like toilet humour, others sarcasm. I don´t think I´m a very funny person in person either, I usually just end up offending people or I make a really obscure political joke and people laugh awkwardly or become seriously concerned for my mental health.

So comedy, I could never write a whole book based on comedy and laughter. I do however need to learn to write a funny sentence or two otherwise people are going to end up committing suicide after reading my novel.

Haze-world likes this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

I for one like subtle word plays with several meanings.

But hardest in writing is hard to define. It depends on the scene. I have written scenes in a flash where I thought it would take me ages, but I have struggled also with ones where I thought they would be easy.

I guess the hardest to write were the ones where the character has to get used to a new concept which he/she never had to deal with before. These involved a whole lot of conflicting emotions at once, and conveying that effectively and concisely was difficult (one such scene I just have managed to come out satisfyingly for me after 2 months! and I don't know yet what my Alpha/Beta will say).

Cave Troll and Haze-world like this.
  3. Jack Lannister

Jack Lannister New Member

Desperation and devastation.
    that's the hardest emotions I have come up against, trying to make the reader understand and feel them in a character.

4. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Jouska and chrysalism, mostly since they are big parts of Tein psychology. Though it is a state of mind, explaining and showing occhiolism, is chiefly the problem I have when dealing with the divine characters in the setting. Several other non-human emotions exist, but thankfully I can explain them better then those which people have not yet experienced.

5. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributing Member Contributor

I find "Meh" the hardest. Or really any lack of emotion-type emotion. Or Passive emotions. It can be really easy for "no reaction" to look like something a writer forgot to insert, when in fact the idea is that they didn't react in a big way.

Or basically big emotions are well big, so hittting them, (poorly or perfectly) is fairly easy. Yet small emotions are so tiny, it can be easy to miss the mark completely.

ArcticOrchid likes this.
  6. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

I actually find that easy. I have one whole character who is so detached that emotions are something that only manifest in bodily reactions. And my Beta certainly gets the point :)

7. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributing Member Contributor

Fear.

KhalieLa likes this.
  8. plothog

plothog Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

A sense of wonder can be pretty tough. My character can stare in amazement at some impressive towering city. Getting a reader to feel that amazement (and not just boredom at a bunch of scenery description) is not easy.

9. Wolfmaster1234

Wolfmaster1234 Member

I find love the hardest to write as it is such a complex emotion that it is difficult to avoid either going over the top or under doing it.

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I agree with Wolfmaster1234, that love is the hardest to write. On the flip side it is the easiest to screw up.

Oddly enough writing a devastating situation is pretty easy, the characters practically write it themselves.

But then again, I am not too good at writing in general.

11. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Emotions are pretty easy. Reactions against the norm are harder. And I don't mean vast shifts like oddballs who laugh at funerals it's more subtle than that. Readers like doers - they also like big responses. If a girl gets dumped they want to see her explode with anger or cry her eyes out or line up all his belongings in the street and run them over. Something. But if she had a more subtle response - that's what I find the hardest. The quieter more subtle reactions that leave a reader doubtful as to what exactly the mc is feeling and must read on to find out.

Renee J and ArcticOrchid like this.
  12. Lucidity

Lucidity Member

Emptiness - That feeling when a really REALLY awesome character dies unexpectedly and you're just sat there like "woah."

13. TheoremAlpha

TheoremAlpha Member

I've actually never even thought about this before up until this point, an interesting question...
    Thanks for asking one that actually made me think...

Hmmm...
    I'm gunna have to say jealousy.

Because I've never really felt that much jealousy in my life as my brain just isn't wired to be that envious of others. I'm a pretty happy camper, so it's very hard for me to relate to someone being jealous in any sort of manner.