1. Sulla

Sulla Member

What kind of schedule do you keep for writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sulla, Jul 29, 2012.

Over the last few months I have returned to writing (the concentrated act of sitting down and working on fiction).

I started out with 15 minutes. I didn't want to overdo it. After a couple weeks I pushed it up to 30 minutes. From here 45 minutes and then about two weeks ago I went to an hour.

When I went to an hour it was difficult to keep writing for the whole hour. I couldn't keep with the whole hour. I would miss a day or two. Now I'm trying to re-boot myself back into a schedule.

I think a word limit each day might be better. This way if I feel stuck or can't write I can come back in the evening. I am thinking of 1,000 to 1,500 words to do this.

I'm just wondering what other peoples experience is in trying to schedule writing time. Do you have a set time each day? Do you write for a certain time each day? Or do you do a word count? Or neither of those?

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Contributing Member

I don't go by time. I get about 500 wpd, and sometimes that takes fifteen or twenty minutes, sometimes forty-five. I'm just getting back in the swing after a long layoff, so I'm working my way back up to 1000 wpd.

3. ck1221

ck1221 Member

I try to do a little every day, even if Its just a paragraph to keep myself focused, some times its hours, it all depends. Its hard for most people since I can safely the majority of us probally maintain full time jobs, so I do it when I can. There is a web site and if no one minds I'll attach the link, its called 750 words and it challenges you to write at least 750 words a day. It keeps track of your writing during a monthly basis and even rewards "points" when you reach a certain number of words. Its strictly motivational, but it works. It also saves your work so you can transfer it over if you want. Give it a shot, see how you like it.
    http://750words.com/

4. Scott Berman

Scott Berman Member

I'm a bit new to it at this point, but what I've been doing is going by plot points. So when I sit down to write my intention is to pretty much write an entire event in the story in that sitting. When I get to the end, I stop. I might try changing it over though where I start halfway through one event and end halfway through the next, that way it creates a little better continuity in the writing.

5. Siena

Siena Active Member

My schedule is not number of words. It's a particular part of the plot.

So if i'm writing a murder mystery, i'll get the murder done. Next day, the cops arrive at the scene. The lead cop's miserable life the next day. And so on.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I don't have a set schedule. For me the bigger problem is stopping myself from writing, especially if I'm really into a scene. I've got 3 roughly 100K word stories in my computer right now, so I'm not really writing anything new, but trying to get those into shape -- or really just the first one. I'm in revision mode right now and getting feedback from a few sources, so I'm also constrained by the schedules of other people. I also have to review suggested edits and I need to read some other pieces of writing for me to give feedback on in order to get the feedback on my writing.

But I try to do *something* related to writing every day.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

My roommate is an invalid, so a large chunk of my daily schedule revolves around his. It's hard for me to plan when and how much I'm going to write. But I try to get at least an hour, or maybe two, of writing time in. It's generally non-contiguous, and so I spend a fair percentage of it trying to catch up mentally to where I was when I stopped. Very inefficient.

8. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

I try to write at least an hour every morning, afternoon, evening and night. That way it is not too structured, but I do write. I cannot set a schedule because I like to go out for walks, read or knit. If I did not have to worry about work, I would replace that with writing. Most of my best writing is done late at night and early in the morning, so I try to write the majority of the time during then.

9. Cherrera

Cherrera Member

I just recently decided on a set schedule of between the hours of 11-6. I shut off the wireless, keep the television off and just write. Amazing what a bit of discipline can do.