What kind of world do we live in?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Mar 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

What are gabbling about? We aren't bickering and I completely understand that Torana fears about the world but life isn't always a warm fluffy cloud. The problem with todays world is that we all expect things to be nice and happy. The truth is bad things happen and those who adapt to the change make it. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to be completely safe in this world nor would I easily adapt to a terrible tragedy. And I don't understand how this is condemning lesbians in any way? The point isn't that their lesbians, you don't even need that detail. The point is that two people brutally murdered someone in a horrible way and it is absolutely awful!

2. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I didn't say the world was a 'warm fluffy cloud' at any point in my post. And I was just saying that the talk earlier was about the media stressing that they were a lesbian couple and how some people might start distrusting lesbians for that reason. Which is stupid, I know.

I feel slightly offended by the way you worded your reply. I don't know why. But it felt like a patronisation. I do understand both sides of this argument and choose to take no side. To be honest, the article doesn't really effect me much emotionally. I just thought I'd be compassionate towards Torana as she felt distressed about the issue.

3. Montag

Montag New Member

Yeah that was pretty creepy, and the fact that they killers were so unconcerned about it was even worse. It was in my city too.

I think they probably thought they were going to get off scot-free, because of either the fact that they were underage, or would claim mental ilness or something.

I don't like the death penalty though.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

wow... Sick people in the world.

I will tell you though Torana this whole thing about rising crime is a huge myth created by politics and the media. If you compare the number of murders this year to twenty years ago in percentage of the population (Thus making sure you account for the rapidly growing world population) then you'll find there isn't a significant difference. THe media likes to take a number like 2,000 murders in 1960 and say the number is up to 3,000 by 1999 not even taking into account the population increase. Its really shameful how the media likes to take advantage of people's fears by manipulating the numbers.

I'm willing to bet this sort of thing has happened before. Don't know about the lesbian part but a couple killing like this? I think I've heard of it before. Its nothing new. Sick stuff though.

5. Budhabee

Budhabee New Member

small kindnesses

Small kindnesses, even itsi bitsi goodness goes a long way into combating huge evil acts. :redface: I think.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

I remember watching the news a couple of weeks ago and seen something that was really disturbing, worse than this actually. It happened in philadelphia, and a kid at the age of 15, actually turned 16 that day, threw a snowball at someone walking down the street pass his house. And the stranger turned and shot him in the head. How much worse could it get?

7. ValianceInEnd

Well, I'm not saying the guy should have shot him, but the kid did throw a snowball at a random person. He should have had more common sense then that.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can't see how!... do you really think giving a homeless person an apple on the streets of nyc will do anything to comfort or save the countless women who're raped over and over, when they have to walk miles for water, to keep their children alive [till they're finally killed, leaving the little ones to die, too]?... or to keep a busload of commuters from being blown to bits in sri lanka?... or to keep a wife or kid in your own neighborhood from being raped or killed by a relative?... seems to be a serious break with reality in that statement/thought...

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

It sure helps the homeless person.
    Better to do some good than no good at all.

10. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a life time." ~ Some Person...

Sorry. Giving him an apple is a pointless waste of your time and his. He's still homeless and jobless.

11. ValianceInEnd

I'd agree with that and Lord of Hats. Still, aren't you getting a little caught up in rape?