1. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

What Made You Want To Write/Become A Writer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Nov 15, 2011.

I'm not sure how many of us are actually aspiring to be a published writer or a professional writer. Me, I never really wanted to be a 'professional writer' really, I just wanted to write a story and have people read and like it. But regardless of why we write all of us here do and I was wondering...

What made you want to become a writer/write?

2. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Ooh thats a good one
    Enid blighton
    Creative writing classes in primary school.
    JK Rowling.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

being a constant and voracious reader since earliest childhood, knowing i wrote better than most, enjoying writing more than most other things there are to do, and having things that 'needed' to be written...

plus, of course, needing the money i could make by doing so!

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't know.

That's the only honest answer I can give.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I think it's my inborn desire to participate, somehow, in an art that I love. I've been a guitar player my whole life (or since I was about 11 or so), and I find it almost impossible to listen to most kinds of music without wanting to pick up my guitar and jam along with it. Most people want to dance to the music; I want to PLAY the music. That's the way I've always been. Likewise, I can't read a story without wanting to write one. I grew up loving science fiction, and reading those stories filled me with ideas for my own stories. I think I started trying to write when I was eight or nine years old, inspired by the stories I was reading.

I've never wanted to just simply absorb the art of others. I always want to create my own.

6. midwestwife

midwestwife New Member

Anne Sexton made me want to write. I would love to be a professional writer but my fear will save me from that nightmare. I write to clear the confusion in my soul. I share online with the hope of relating to people. I also look for validation. I think most if not all of my writing is utter crap and I am here to confirm those thoughts. :)

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I can't really say. I suppose back in grade school when I had my first writing assignment - discovered story-telling came pretty naturally and other people seemed to like what I wrote. Gave me a sense of worth. Now it allows me to go places and do things and say stuff that I could never, ever do in real life.

8. Jdry

Jdry Member

The first time I started writing (seriously) was when I did a fan-fiction collaboration with one of my friends, as time passed I realized that I enjoyed doing it and had some sort of talent, so right now I am busy writing original compositions. :)

9. mcjessi11

mcjessi11 New Member

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

10. shellyshakespear

shellyshakespear New Member

I just love reading and I guess that makes me inspire to have my own, to become an inspiration to other too. In addition I really wanted to express what I feel and what’s in my thoughts.:rolleyes:

11. JoshuaFourth

JoshuaFourth New Member

For me, I've always loved reading and creative writing. It was always sort of a hobby of mine, but I always excelled whenever there was a piece of school work or university assignment centered around it. Once I realised that people enjoyed reading my stuff I started writing more and once I entered my third year at university, which I'm working through now, I chose the subjects that would give me the most amount of creative work to do.

As for being professional, I'd always wanted a creative job. Something that I could do almost anywhere so that I'd never be tied down and stagnate in one place. I could always move away. Originally it was a desire to create films, then perhaps write them, but I realised that I much preferred writing my own novels. Two of which I'm beginning to write as part of my course. Eventually, after following Neil Gaiman on Twitter for a while, I realised that writing was definitely the thing that I wanted to do most. It's what comes easiest to me and people think I'm good at it so it seems a perfect fit.

Anyway, that's why I want to be a professional writer someday (fingers crossed!)

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

well I love writing as in making shapes with my hands because I can't draw,so I figured that I can make shapes with words instead.
    as I love chatting then I thought why not chattering into words too. lol
    writing is an art and a way to escape to anothe dimension and no it is not like going to the moon, for I do not want to go there, as I prefer to look at if from afar at night time it is so pretty and going there will only spoil the fun and the mystery of it all.
    so writing is like that, aflight to an imaginational dimension I guess only I get to say which word goes where..I am in control and that is the best control I can ever think of me for me. so I get the best of both worlds AND I never get bored.

13. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Dupe

14. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Reading made me want to write. Any art is communication at it's best. It gives you the ability to fuck with another's mind, and they appreciate you for it!
    That is a beautiful thing.

15. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

When I was a munchkin, my sister and I created all sorts of bizarre stories and back then we liked to act them out and play pretend.
    As I got older, I thought it was just weird to be playing pretend all day, but I still loved to create stories in my head especially at night when I had trouble sleeping.
    I began writing my childhood stories along with the newer ones in my journals. Since I don't have much of a social life and prefer solitude, it's the perfect past-time. I also like to add illustrations since I love to draw as well. I always carry a journal with me so I'll always have something to do. Writing is also a good way for me to purge my negative feelings as I transfer them into my stories.

16. Blackwood

Blackwood New Member

I wanted to make films, so I had to learn how to write my ideas down so others could understand them (still not quite there yet). Also, my father said I couldn't write so I wanted to prove him wrong.

And of course this. Oh yes. Definitely this.

17. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I don't really know. I've always been scribbling away as long as I, and my family, can remember. It probably came from my love of reading and writing being the only way I can express myself properly. When I decided to go to university, I knew it had to be Creative Writing because I didn't feel so passionate about anything else.

18. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Sheer boredom at lunchtime. Which was an occupational hazard when you were the only one in a friend group who wasn't in a particular science set (and therefore didn't constantly get detentions from the chemistry teacher every other lunchtime). So I did some scribbling, thought that I enjoyed it and I've been writing ever since.

19. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I've always been a daydreamer. I might as well find some way to profit off of them.

20. Cacian

Cacian Banned

haha...the word munchkin made me laugh...I was just about to post something along the lines of is there anyone who would be interested in co-writing/drawing . I have acouple of children's stories that I would love to get drawings into them ..but there you go..one of my crazy ideas...

21. MaggieMoo

MaggieMoo Member

Writing and crocheting in a dark corner the room
    Oh well my story is rather silly I guess. I wrote 3 poems at the age of 10 and was told by my teacher that she had been a teacher for over 30 years and my poems were the best she had ever seen produced by a 10 year old. She said she was also intrigued by the fact that I had produced them in front of her in just under 15 minutes. Since I was no good at anything else at school, she was very interested in my new found love. So I guess in essence my Grade 5 teacher encouraged me to continue and years and years ( and maybe some more years) later, I am still writing. :)

22. Gracia Bee

Gracia Bee Member

Brigid Lowry made me want to write seriously. After reading one of her books I thought, "I wish I could write like that." So I set myself a challenge and found I really enjoyed it. Well, come to think of it, that wasn't the first time I started writing. When I was about 4 I got my mum to type up a story for me. I told her what to write and she wrote it. I looked back on it just a few months ago and it was TERRIBLE! But that is, I guess, how I started writing

23. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I started writing to annoy my mom. When I was little there was a book series I loved called thoroughbred and was about the life of a family raising race horses. Mom read them to me every night, but was very open about how she hated all the flowery descriptions of the horses, so one day I sat down and wrote a story about a horse full of descriptions like the ones she hated. And after that, I just kind of kept on going. I always loved making up stories, and I wanted them written down so I wouldn't forget them.

24. Kimi-chan

Kimi-chan New Member

I started writing when I was in the fifth grade. It was actually something I discovered in myself as a talent or a gift. Writing for me isn't just stories and the like but I have a pretty natural ability to write what is on my mind. I call it written expression. Despite being able to speak verbally, I have always had trouble with verbal and emotional expression so writing has always helped me with expressing what I ended up lacking. A lot of people don't understand how someone with autism/ADHD is able to write so well, especially since I'm unable to hold a job or go to college.

But there are still times when even writing can't help me with expression and I just bottle things up and tell no one. Mostly since no one tries to understand and I've learned to walk away from people who do misunderstand. Anyway, I've been writing since I was in fifth grade but I've never written anything I have finished thanks to ADHD and whatever. It is still something I am working on.

25. Devrokon

Devrokon New Member

Every good book I read, I haven't mentioned, makes me want to become a better writer.

Every bad book makes me believe I can do it better.