Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Two Ideas in General

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MilesTro, Jun 4, 2008.

What do you think of these two ideas for a movie and comic book series? One of them is the super stuff animal idea I thought of.

The Play Dogs

Genre: Science Fiction Adventure

Viewer audience: Ten to thirteen years of age.

The Planet Avalon, inhabit by a race of anthromorphic animals, called Paras, is a peaceful world. But greedy alien miners, called Gorgons, invades the planet for over mining. In resistance, three dogs, Spinyn, Lissy, and Tooth, who use super power yoyo like weapons for combat, decides to fight back. With the help of friends, they must destroy all the Gorgons' mining facilities and free the enslave Para workers by means of playing with yoyos. Will they be able to stop the Gorgons before the Gorgons destroy the planet?

Super Fluffs

Genre: Science Fiction Comedy

Viewer audience: Ten to thirteen years of age.
    :)
    New York City is a normal city. Until a meteor crash into Central Park and release a cosmic radiation, which brought a bunch of stuff animals to life inside a toy store. Realizing they are a live and have super powers, Amazing Bear, Wonder Doll, Morph Monkey, Hard shell Turtle, and Speedo Dog decide to protect the good people from unlawful threats. Then their nemesis, Evil Panda, begins to build an army of war toys to take over the city. It’s up to the Super Fluffs to save the city from the rogue toys.

2. WingedHermes

WingedHermes New Member

I know for a fact that the race "Gorgon" is used somewhere. But I fail to remember where. I may be thinking of Volgons though. Also, peaceful planet attacked by evil aliens for natural resources is pretty much a template for a sci-fi story by now. Perhaps try and expand more? Why do we care about this planet? What are the Gorgons after?

Super Fluffs

Same deal. Cliche. And I dunno if 13 year olds ('cept girls) really care for crime fighting stuffed animals anymore in this "hardened" society.

Just some opinions, but I'm not seeing anything enthralling.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Same answer as always - the idea means almost nothing. It's what you do with it in the writing that determines whether it will appeal to anyone.

It's only a cliche if that's how you write it,

Hermes, a gorgon is a creature from Greek mythology. Medusa was a gorgon.

4. Anliya

Anliya New Member

For some reason, I keep picturing these ideas as one of those new Dreamworks movies, with the 3-D like animation, which must be a good thing considering their popularity. WingedHermes brings up a good point, but then again, cliches exist for a reason--because people like seeing them over and over again. I can definitely imagine a 10-13 year old enjoying both those storylines, or perhaps even a younger audience.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Super Fluffs can be okay to kids, since the kids like stuff animals. It's just a comedy idea, which I thought would be cool.

The planet Avalon, has some kind of phenomenon, which uplift organisms into sentient beings. The Paras on the planet used to been a live stock of animals from Planet Earth. A computer auto pilot transport ship was transporting them to a colony, but it got damage and had to land on Avalon to wait for repairs. It release the animals, and the animals became Paras.

Planet Avalon has crystals, which gives lifeforms super powers, and that's why the Gorgons are mining the planet. The story is suppose to be like when the Europeans discover America and took over the Indians' lands.

By the way, can anybody think of a better alien race name besides Gorgons? The name Gorgons is okay, but the aliens are gorilla like brutes and the name doesn't fit with them.

6. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Cog made a great point. Execution, not ideaa, are what will determine its value.

7. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

So it's all up to how good the stories are. What about the themes? I think animation studios are looking for animation films based on a theme.

8. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

That may be true but don't most animated movies follow the theme of the underdog triumphing against great odds? What makes each movie different is the spin on that theme and how it is accomplished.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not to forget characters! Even in animation, or perhaps especially in animation, character design and development is critical to success.

I'm not a big fan of anime, mostly because the themes are so often apocalyptic and therefore hard for me to find credible. But one thing I have seen in the better anime is well-designed characters, with flaws, quirks, fears, strengths, and believable personalities. Great artwork is important, too, both foreground and background, but as this is a writing site, I would concentrate of the role of good writing on the quality of the product.

Your ideas are in a different area of animation, but characterization is no less important. One thing I would caution against is writing down too much to your audience. Don't oversimplify the characters to make the point of each story clearer. Kids can be extremely perceptive about spotting phonies or friends. Although they may not have the language skills to express it, they are often very canny in their understanding of people.

10. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Thank you Cogito. I still want to come up a better name for the alien gorillas.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

miles... btw, it's 'stuffed animals' not 'stuff'... as in they are 'stuffed' with 'stuffing'...

hugs, m

12. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Thank you, my mistake. How about the alien gorillas are called Goras. What do you think?

13. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

Gorgons were the good-guy creature toys in Small Soldiers.

14. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

They're called Gorgonites. Their fictional land is called Gorgon.

15. mammamaia

it's so close to their greek designation, that i don't think it's a good idea, unless the population that calls them that is descended from modern humankind...

same thing goes for using 'gorgon' which is another greek term and refers to a specific type of creature in mythology...

unless there's some kind of connection with the terms as we use them, i'd strongly suggest you go with something fresh and original, that won't confuse the readers who know the greek origins of both words [gorgon and gorilla]...

16. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I don't know how you name aliens, who don't have names similar to Earth names. What would aliens call other aliens in their own perspective? This is for a kid comic book for crying out loud. Plus how would the reader know what the aliens are if their names is strange. I call the anthromorphs Paras, because I got the name from Parahuman. The name sounds cool and fits with their race. The alien gorilla names is suppose to sound similar to the ape class, so the reader will know who they are. It's difficult to determine what an alien race would call another alien race in their perspective.

17. Miswrite

Miswrite New Member

I think you may want to reconsider your audience. 10-13 year-olds would find both of these ideas 'for little kids', IMHO.

18. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

19. mammamaia

that would be a major mistake, imo... publishers and producers are not the ones who decide what the audience will be... only the author/screenwriter can establish that and must do so before writing the book/script... if written 'blind' with no idea who you expect to want to read/see it, how in the heck can you write it in a way that this or that market will find it interesting enough to spend good money on?...

writing for young kids, or the YA, or the adult market is not anywhere near the same in re vocabulary level, situations, dialog, characters and so on... each one has a vastly different range of same and unless you know who you're wrting for, the result will most likely not be acceptable for any of them...

in addition, when you query publishers and/or producers, or agents, you'll have to say what your market is... if you don't, chances are neither you nor your work will be taken seriously...

20. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Super Fluffs will be more gear to younger kids. About 5 to 10 years of age. For The Play Dogs, 10 to 13 years old.