1. sweetlilac

sweetlilac New Member

whats ur daily (habitual) ritual b4 writing fiction?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sweetlilac, Apr 23, 2007.

for you....... whats the habit you usually do (sometimes involuntarily) before you write?:D

2. Frost

Frost Active Member

i seem to catch myself opening and closing notepad alot.

3. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

If anything, a mental giving-in and saying "the heck with it" to all the non-writing things I really ought to be be doing.

(Well, okay - either that, or logging off a writing forum :) )

4. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I usually listen to a lot of music before I wite. I like writing one shot fiction that is based on a concept or has a moral... something like that. I feel that music has a lot of hidden meanings and the listener can make up their own meanings of the song. It's always nice to see someone else's perspective on your favourite song or even a song that you don't like. I feel that I've gone a little off topic... xD

I tend to walk around a lot too... get a snack or a drink and jot things down. I also open and close Word a lot, like Frost said. xD

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I listen to really depressing music, or read really depressing news stories while listening to depressing music. The depressing music continues until I'm done.

Its rather depressing.

6. daisydaisy

daisydaisy New Member

I stand on one leg and read out loud passages from the bible... No, I don;t really! Erm, not sure I do anything much...but I can't write unless it's quiet.

7. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Indeed!

I like the rain( and not because it's supposedly depressing) it's quite sooting, there was a sound file on a program I used, storybook weaver when I was younger, :rolleyes:

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nothing... i just write...

9. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I usually always to have some album playing in the background when I'm beginning to write.

10. sweetlilac

sweetlilac New Member

wow.. i also listen to music b4 i write.. the mellow ones will do the trick.. ive read a book that says about different authors doing their own ritual before writing..

11. stav

stav New Member

Music, coffee, and given that I do all my 'real' writing on the computer, my pen and notebook. Before I can get into the mood to write, I first have to grab those last two items and just start letting the words flow out. Sometimes it's a journal entry, sometimes it's a mixtape list... whatever the case, I eventually hit upon a setting, scene, character, or possible plotline that's either related to a story I'm currently working on, or a new one entirely. Then I run with it.

Whatever 'it' is will be no more than a page in length. Sometimes I will rewrite 4 or 5 times until it all 'clicks' and I finally find my voice. That's when I head to the computer and get started on the 'real' writing.

12. daisydaisy

daisydaisy New Member

See, I find it absolutely amazing that some of you folks can write whilst listening to music. How do you hear your story if there's sound around you anyway? I get irritated if I can hear a lawnmower in the next street while I write, no way I could cope with music or TV or anything!

13. Raven

Raven Banned

It would depend upon the day I've had. Recently my days have been nothing but Dull nothing important. I'm waiting for a tranfare to come through but then I haven't written a story in a while. Most of my inpsiration comes from actual experiences that have been through it helps with the writing a hell of a lot.

But it would depend on the day.

14. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I generally ignore the music completely. Unless I focus on it, I have no idea what song is playing, or how many times its repeated itself.
    But when I stop writing, the music there to keep me in the right mood.
    It works for me.

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I sit outside for an hour and relax with a nice hot cup of coffee and watch the world go by, then I grab my not pad and get to it.

16. stav

stav New Member

It certainly has to fit the mood. A common choice recently is Rocky Votolato who is a folk-acoustic artist on Barsuk records (of Death Cab For Cutie fame); very mellow, very easy to ignore when in the midst of intense writing, but a nice automatic interlude for introspective breaks.