What mental illness could cause this...

Discussion in 'Research' started by Skaruts, Apr 17, 2015.

1. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

That's quite a collection, do you get some sort of badge with that?
    Snarkiness is a bitch, ain't it?

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

BpD is bipolar disorder, BPD is borderline.

And being bipolar isn't hellish. With the right medication you can live like a normal person that takes a lot of pills.

3. outsider

Yeah, you've got to have the meds.

4. Jack Asher

SURE DO! It looks like this!
    [​IMG]

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  5. outsider

Quite the web surfin' girl yourself when you want to be, aren't you? Well done.

6. Jack Asher

No, that's all the graphic designing. Comes in useful sometimes.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

As Ben414 points out, this is a statistical misunderstanding. "Most violent crimes are not committed by people with schizophrenia" is not the same as "People with schizophrenia are less likely to commit violent crimes." It would only mean that if at least half the population had schizophrenia.

8. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

*unfollows thread, already tired of the pomp and anger infecting the whole thing*

9. Jack Asher

But in actual studies on violent schizophrenics it's found that only 5% have a history of violence. And that psychotics account for around 5% of violent murders.
    But it's important to remember that a great deal of those violent deaths are actually suicides, and then the statistics are much lower. It's much more likely that a mentally ill person will try to hurt themselves than someone else.

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Oh, I absolutely believe you. I'm just noting that the interpretation of the stated fact is incorrect. That is, the fact doesn't support the interpretation, even if the conclusion reached happens to be true. Statistical misunderstandings bother me to the point that I can't shut up.

11. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I have been messaging her for a while as I miss her but it seems she's dropped off the face of the earth at the moment. I am a little worried ...

12. outsider

Oh dear, perhaps she's made the decision to go offline to get some more work done? Not a bad idea, to be honest.
    She was living on the Isle of Wight as I remember it. Not quite off the face of the Earth but far enough away for some peace and quiet.
    I do hope she drops in again sometime.

cutecat22 likes this.
  13. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Probably. I'll keep dropping her a message now and then. Hopefully, we'll see her again soon.

14. Melissa1215

Melissa1215 New Member

Hmm, I'd say there are a few possible diagnosis.

Paranoid Schizophrenia is one most people would recognise, though I'd personally avoid this as generally there are voices involved etc.

I'd go with Paranoid personality disorder / Emotionally unstable personality disorder, this would make sense with believing she was the victim all along.

15. Jack Asher

Sorry, I realize you're new and don't want to antagonize you, but that isn't actually a thing anymore. It's now called borderline personality disorder (BPD). So I'm gonna put you down for another vote in favor of BPD with psychotic features. (Hat tip: @lewislewis)

Melissa1215 likes this.
  16. Melissa1215

Melissa1215 New Member

Thanks for letting me know :)

17. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Sounds like a combination of two or more disorders. I'm not completely sold on it being strictly borderline personality disorder. BPD is definitely part of it, but if she believes he's hiding things from her - well that could be seen as paranoid schizophrenia. I knew someone who suffered from schizophrenia, and she believed her father (who lived halfway around the world) was messing around with the clocks in her house. When people think of a paranoid schizophrenic, there is always the assumption that everything they're paranoid about isn't actual real, but it can be - maybe the reasons for their paranoia aren't, but they can absolutely have paranoia revolving around physical entities.

It's entirely possible for somebody to have more than one disorder, you're better off using two than trying to fit all of that into one.

18. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

BPD I think is a pretty good fit. So is Schizophrenia
    Personally though. I don't think either of these are going to get you what you want.
    At it core. You have two symptoms.
    -Aggression
    -Delusions
    To be clear. Delusions are a fake belief. In her case that she is the victim.
    Aggression and Delusions don't have to be linked. You could give her two conditions. Might help with the whole scene you got going on. In either case I think if you research those two symptoms what you want will become clear.

19. Kattling

Kattling New Member

I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but it also sounds a bit like Dissociative Identity Disorder, or DID for short. As it sounds, it causes a sort of multiple personality situation. It doesn't fit the bill perfectly but it would allow her to more easily shift the blame away from herself and legitimately believe it was someone else.
    Aside from that, I'd agree with extreme paranoia, but I'm unsure about schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I studied psychology in college, but to my recollection those were more about having highs and lows in moods. I think another word is Manic Depressive Disorder, or that might be another similar thing, I can't remember to be honest. It's been a little while.

20. Jack Asher

BPD is Borderline Personality Disorder. BpD is Bipolar Disorder (or depression).
    And there's a lot of research that Dissociative Identity Disorder doesn't actually exist.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/02/23/dissociative.identity.disorder.raison/index.html?iref=allsearch

21. Acanthophis

Unipolar Disorder is depression. Bipolar Disorder is periods of depression preceded or followed by periods of mania (elevated mood). Bi = two, uni = one. As for DID not being a thing, I don't know if I agree. DID is definitely nothing like how it's portrayed in popular culture (nothing in psychology is). Early year psych courses certainly paint the picture that DID is entirely plausible. The brain works in extremely complicated ways, and the things that people experience due chemical imbalances is quite interesting. I don't think DID is as colourful as television makes it out to be, but I definitely think it's real. From what I've learned, DID is a mixture of several defense mechanisms in our brain utilizes to cope with serious trauma (which is what DID is all about).

22. Jack Asher

I don't know what this is a response to. I was saying the BpD is Bipolar Disorder (or Bipolar Depression). Trust me, I know what BpD is.

23. Boger

Boger Senior Member

Stockholm syndrome somewhere in the mix?

24. Acanthophis

It was a response to you saying BpD is depression. Classifying it as depression is wrong, because the DSM-5 states that there needs to be both elated mood and irritable mood (one of the hallmarks of depression). It's no longer referred to as Bipolar Depression.