What mood do you write best in?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AnonymousWriter, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

For me I write best when I am in a writing mood, yes that is a mood for me.

2. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

My best writing comes when I'm in a positive mood. If I'm really happy, usually I'll write some of the best stuff I've ever done (I think, anyway). The best scene I've ever written in my life was done shortly after meeting my best friend.

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't have a mood that I write best in.
    I tend to be able to place myself in any mood. I find myself able to mold my feelings very well.
    I believe to be a good writer you should write with every mood.
    And there should be never a time of mood that you shouldn't write.

4. Rio Moss

Rio Moss New Member

Happy in the morning.

Further in the day, I get too many ideas for other things I could be doing, like the Internet, going out to book stores or the supermarket, walking, watching TV ...

5. NateDoggy

NateDoggy New Member

I actually write my best work during my study halls when I'm more relaxed, and kind of bored. I don't see any major diffrences in my writing if my mood changes. In fact I think it's easier to write the part of a villian if your angry, write the part of a child if your hyper and just feel immature. I like to get into my characters if it's possible at the time I am writing.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I agree with Dr.Joe, I actually have a "writing mood". I simply feel like writing, and then I do so.

7. King of the Kong

King of the Kong New Member

I've never heard anyone else talk about this before, so it might just be me. Whenever I think of a really good idea for a story, or a good idea for something in the story, I get this great feeling of creativity and all I can think about is adding onto it/writing. Do any of you get this?

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, sometimes I get a really good idea, and it feels really good, sort of like you accomplished something big. However, after writing that great idea down, everything written after seems dull in comparison. I guess I have to learn to write with a calm mind and not get excited.

9. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

All the time, man! ;)

Actually I get that more now than I did when I was a kid, and it lasts longer. I get in trouble with my job and stuff because when I get that rush, I just can't stop writing. I write like a video game addict plays video games--until my eyes are totally red and sore and my fingers are cramped.

10. King of the Kong

King of the Kong New Member

For me it lasts until I run out of ideas. Sometimes I think of things and I just stop there, but one time I remember I thought of a great idea and it turned into a chain reaction of ideas for around half an hour. That's the most though.

BTW: You didn't do your little scarlet signature at the end like you always do :p

11. Sephie913

Sephie913 New Member

the way I experience it is almost compulsive. I'm really excited about whatever it is, and it's impossible to go to sleep until I have it down, until I work on it and develop it. And when I know that a sentence or paragraph actually came out how it sounded in my head!

12. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

It happens to me so much. Yes, everything written down seems dull by comparrison. I guess I just have to learn to not be so judgemental, striving for flawless perfection and just write it down and let other people give me tips on how to improve it.

13. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I think almost anybody who's really into something, be it writing, sports, acting, kayaking, whatever, feels this at one point or another. It's not necessarily unique to writing. It's called enthusiasm or passion for what you're interested in.

14. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

It's never getting the idea phase that gives me the high. It's when I sit down to write and suddenly the words just start flowing and I have to break back into Gregg shorthand to keep up with them. Hours can fly by like seconds. When the spell finally breaks, I feel like I just ran a marathon -- my whole arm hurts and people around me are looking at me like a thing possessed.

It doesn't always happen, but when it does -- it's better than sex. (no wet spot to sleep in afterward. ;/ )

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

This is what happens to me.
    The world is completely drowned out when I really have an idea.
    Its usually when I listen to music and the song just gives me an idea.

I need muse to write more often though.
    If I don't have muse my writing sucks.

16. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I've never gotten "writers high", but I do float around for a day or two after something gets published. Might be similar. I do get excited about a new idea that I think is ingenious, but then I usually settle down once I realize what it would entail to make it work.

17. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

For me, the idea is not the high; it’s the expression of it that sends me into the stratosphere.

18. ieuan

ieuan New Member

If you don't get a high from writing then why write? I know some people write for a living and they are good at it but if it is just a job then to me they are not true authors. I get a high when writing, sometimes it frightens me, some of the thoughts and action is repellent to me and yet I know it is valid writng from history and just from reading the daily newspapers.

I write because I love to write, and when I write to develop some of my novels the process is exillerating for me and I can easily get lost for days on the most recent chapter.

I guy in another forum once spoke about his muse, and I thought at the time it was nonsense. but there is something compulsive about writing, and there is also a learning process. Some people take all their lives learning and write one novel. Some bash out work like a production mill, we are all different.

I have 5 blogs, one of them is a mundane blog about engineering and that is the most difficult one for me to write in. But it does instil a disipline in me to get it said and done. The other blogs are for pleasure, on eof them being poetry.

I think writing is also formative, by this I mean one settles down into one sown character. A good writer knows himself and recognises character types. But settling down into ones own character is refreshing and very settling.

Ieuan

19. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Yes, sure, but I don't write it unless I get some sort of pressure to do so.

20. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Yes I do get idea highs all the time, and it's the worst thing ever for my writing. When the scenes are flashing through my head I can never write a half-decent paragraph, and I also want to skip right to those scenes but am never there at that point in the story. I find it impossible to write a scene in the middle of the story withought knowing what happened before it. Then I just give up on trying to write and enjoy the pictures in my head.

21. ieuan

ieuan New Member

CDRW I would say if you are getting these flash images and stories in your mind to write them down, they are pure gold for the writer. If you cannot rememebr then write them down. It's rather like a gardener who throws his good compost away, to a gardener, rotting leaves and lawn clipping along with decomposing kitchen waste is free loam from heaven. He knows that in time worms and bacteria will reduce this stinking rotten mound of rubbish into the best garden compost for his vegetable and flowers, and it's free. Similarly with these ideas of yours, harvest them in a little book or write chapters and join them up later or weave them into short stories. But don't waste them.

Some writers would gie their eye teeth to have what you have, your own muse.
    Ieuan

22. Sophronia

Sophronia New Member

I've had those times before, and I usually end up doing a whole lot of writing because of it in one sitting. The only problem is is that sometimes I get huge writer's block afterwards. I wrote a chapter in one day and didn't end up writing anything for days afterward.

But they always seem to come back.

23. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

*giggle* Yes, and then my hand wants to die after that. =D

24. Fire of a Rose

Fire of a Rose New Member

Oh, yes, getting that is FUN. I'm not allowed to do it for too long straight, since I'm forced to eat and sleep. I'm sure my hands are grateful for that. Plus, since this is a shared computer, you guys most likely won't be seeing many of my works-I use my typewriter, it doesn't have a waiting line. (Usually.) I get it mostly from the idea, and the completion of the first chapter/paragraph/tenth chapter/coming up with a possible ending. (I suck at endings.)

25. kehl

kehl New Member

Unfortunetly I've had writer's block since I was about 14. I feel like I have some great ideas I just can't ever put them into words.