1. TeamPaul

TeamPaul Member

What motivates you to write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TeamPaul, Oct 28, 2015.

This may be something that's been posted about before, so forgive me if it has! I'm just interested to see how other people are motivated by the career they choose to persue.

For me, I'd like to think that one day I will be an accomplished scriptwriter and director.

I love true stories, history mostly. This keeps me going, since I get so sucked in by the topic.

For example, I like to wonder what people was thinking and why they did things, throughout history - it keeps it interesting and I find I don't suffer from writers block as much as others, because I know the story and there's always more to discover and learn.

What are your thoughts?

Masked Mole likes this.
  2. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

I really do not care if I publish my text or not, I have characters up in my head that want to share a story with me. I write their story because I have sort of fallen in love with their society and way of looking at the world. It comforts me, scares me, intrigues me... moving about in a dream, observer/possessor, the moments of relaxing and being told a funny story. I'd like to keep memories of it, so I write by their instruction and guidance. They quarrel a bit, but it is all in good fun. It is nothing about money or fame for me... I already have a good life.

Link the Writer and Imaginarily like this.
  3. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Like @Inks, I write because I love my characters and their world. Being a part of it makes me happy, and gives a profound sense of fulfillment when I paint the picture accurately.

And, perhaps more importantly, if I didn't write any of it down it would all die with me when I go. It's not necessarily that I want to leave a legacy to be remembered by, I just feel like I owe these characters and their world a permanent physical record for everything they've done for me.

Masked Mole likes this.
  4. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Contributing Member

I am motivated by a desire to use the power of words to change peoples' lives. The written word has changed my life very profoundly, and I want to help give others that experience. I also love entertaining people, so it works out really well.

Imaginarily likes this.
  5. TeamPaul

TeamPaul Member

The response on this thread so far, is just incredible. I love everyone's way of thinking. I see so much passion and it's such a hard thing to find these days. It's nice to see people who aren't after money all the time, they just do what they love.

I'm not really driven by money, I would just like to see my creations come to life and have pride. I'd like my family to be proud of my works one day and proud of how far I've come.

Imaginarily likes this.
  6. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Contributing Member

Sorry. Ignore my other comment. I was just kidding before. I'm in it for the women and cash. Most of all, the persona of a writer, and being complimented for my intelligence. That's what writing is all about, guys.

Imaginarily likes this.
  7. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I'm in it for the crippling self-doubt and the pure, undiluted masochism. :agreed:

Tenderiser and Masked Mole like this.
  8. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I like stories. It's basically that simple for me. Regardless of medium--whether I'm writing a song/album, designing a video game (thank the flying spaghetti monster for RPG Maker), or writing prose, I just enjoy coming up with a story. Whether I have an intriguing concept, a particular plot point, or just a rough idea for a character, I like to explore what that one thing might turn into.

It helps that I enjoy experiencing stories (though I imagine that's true for most people), also regardless of medium. It's why I read, watch movies/TV, play video games, and even sometimes why I listen to music. Storytelling is, I think, a very intrinsic part of the human experience.

9. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

Because people need to hear what I have to say. I am possibly the most important voice of the modern age.

xanadu likes this.
  10. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I have a hard time finding books I really like - so I'm writing the books I want to read.

11. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

I enjoy it. If I stop enjoying it, I'll stop writing.

12. davidov

davidov Member

Immortality.

13. Jones

Jones My body is ready

This right here. I maybe find one book I like out of every 10. And none that are exactly what I want to read, so I have to write them. And it's a huge pain in the butt. I wish someone else would do the work so I could just sit back and enjoy.

peachalulu likes this.
  14. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Money. Writing is a lot of work, and I'm pretty lazy. If I wasn't getting paid, I doubt I'd do it. I'd still imagine the stories, probably, but write them down and polish them? Hell, no.

peachalulu likes this.
  15. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

I find there are a lot of books out there that really aren't that good and I think I can do better than that. I enjoy trying. I write for me.

16. Magpie

Magpie New Member

I am motivated because over the years I have been deeply moved by several books and films and if I can move people in the same way with my own artwork it will make me happy.

peachalulu likes this.
  17. RikWriter

RikWriter Member

There are stories I want to read and no one else is writing them.

peachalulu and Imaginarily like this.
  18. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributing Member Contributor

I might some day write something that can change people.