Tags:
  1. CastleEra

CastleEra Member

What Music Do You Listen to While Writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CastleEra, Sep 3, 2014.

Just something I'm curious about.

Sometimes nothing helps me focus more than loud, booming music in my headphone, other times I enjoy beautiful orchestra music. I know some people who prefer complete silence and others who listen to MP3s of nature to keep them relaxed and focused. I'm curious if the music you choose to listen to help dictates the mood you trying to convey. Example, listening to something that personally makes you sad to help get you into the right emotional state to write a sad segment.

Or maybe you just hit shuffle and it just blends into the background, but just the fact that it's there is comforting.

2. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Hi CastleEra

(Firstly, welcome to the forum - you'll like it here!)

Music is a big part of my writing, both before and during the times I'm at my laptop. I tend to prepare by listening to some film music, or classical music, or if it's a character piece, the appropriate internal song for that character (think Ally McBeal).

When I'm writing, if I have music playing it's almost always classical or film scores depending on the mood of the writing. For the most recent project (horror) I've been listening to John Carpenter's score for the Fog, for example. But I've also listened to scores by Nyman, Zimmer, John Williams and Shore. Anything that brings a rhythm to my writing.
    Rarely do I play anything to blow away any monotonous silence. And only occasionally do I play music loud enough to drown out the sound of my own children playing in the house. For me, the music has to be helping my imagination rather than distracting it.

3. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I never listen to music while I'm writing. I'm too influenced by the percussive elements and these have a knock-on effect on the rhythm of my writing that isn't intentional.

I do, however, often purposefully choose a piece to complement the mood/tone, just to adjust my mindset before hitting the keyboard. Once I feel I'm there, I turn it off and write in complete silence, (or as close as i can get, given I live in Urbanville.)

4. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

Writing with music on is something that I have recently taken up (like, 3 days ago). I tried it once a month or so ago, but have only just decided to make it a regular thing. I'm finding that if I have music on it helps me concentrate and helps me produce better writing. I never have anything lyrical on, but instead I have been googling for "(whatever type of mood I want to set) music" and I usually try to find something on youtube that goes for about an hour or so. Sometimes I will listen to the soundtrack of a movie or video game, but I find that just a compilation of music for the mood I want works better.

5. HelloThere

HelloThere Contributing Member

6. CastleEra

CastleEra Member

Oh, whoops, I didn't know another thread like this existed. Thank you for pointing that out.

HelloThere likes this.
  7. Poet of Gore

Poet of Gore Member

my life with the thrill kill kult

8. Alex C

Alex C New Member

Marvin Gaye. I swear I can feel it aligning my brain waves to a frequency conducive for writing.

9. HoraceCombs

HoraceCombs Member

Yes, I also like to hear music while writing, it makes me concentrate on that particular topic I am writing about. Mostly I listen
    Eric's Song
    Gravity
    Antebellum
    Blue Caravan
    Recessional.

10. Miss Red

Miss Red Member

I've been listening to a lot of music from foreign countries. Music that I like but can't understand really helped me focus on my writing. Dubstep sometimes works, but it gets a little repetitive after a while. The music I've been exposed too were introduced to me through my younger sibling, who has a knack for finding really random stuff. xD

11. Jakv6

Jakv6 Member

I'm Team Silence. As a music lover, I find that any piece that I find remotely enjoyable will distract me from my writing. For some reason, this does not count during the planning stage.