1. semicolon

semicolon Member

What music do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by semicolon, Sep 1, 2015.

So, just a general thread for the type of music that we're all listening to right now, whether it be what helps you to write or just enjoyment.

Currently, I've been listening to a lot of The Front Bottoms ("Funny You Should Ask," "Twin Size Mattress," "Flashlight") and Bo Burnham ("Nerds," "Words Words Words," "Repeat Stuff," "We Think We Know You"). Both very good artists. Just a warning, though. Bo Burnham is a very vulgar & offensive comedian and/or singer.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm hooked on Mushroomhead at the moment. I listen to nearly anything though, from cheesy chart-pop to death metal. The only thing I really can't stand is dance music with those awful beats and the same sentence repeated over and over and over and over and over and oh god kill me now.

3. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

I've just re-bought Iowa by Slipknot, as I can't for the life of my find my original copy...

Shbooblie and Tenderiser like this.
  4. MikeyC

MikeyC Active Member

Recently I have found music as a distraction, especially when I am imagining a scene I am about to write about.

Previously, anything easy listening, sometimes classical.

Regards

Mike

5. Ex Leper

Ex Leper Banned

I've been listening to AC/DC a lot lately. But, I listen to classical music, or soundtracks when I'm writing. It gets me in the mood better.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I must admit I like opera and classical music, but ... nothing gets the blood pumping like some dirty and grungy rock song.

7. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I've been listening to a lot of guilty pleasures lately, the sort of things I used to listen to in high school. I think I'm having a mid 20's crisis - if that's a thing!

8. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Yep, the quarter-life crisis.
    I tend to cycle through genres every couple of weeks. All about punk, then classical, then jazz, then 90's altrock, then showtunes. Right now I'm in a "covers of Disney movie songs" phase. I'm pretty sure ska music is coming up soon.

9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think I just like a broad blend of stuff: Metal Heavy/Power/Death/Sludge/Progressive/Tech, Industrial, Hybrid Orchestral/Rock/Tech, Techno, Dark Minimal, Sad/Dark Composition, Electro, EDM, and some old school Rock/Hard Rock. No pop, rap, or country. Oh yeah, Warren Zevons-Roland the Thompson Gunner.

10. Chad Ettelbrick

Chad Ettelbrick New Member

In the last year I've been listening to a lot of St. Paul and the Broken Bones. Lately, it's been The Dear Hunter, Spoon, and Wilco.

11. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

A lot of Rise Against, a lot of Trivium, a lot of Fear Factory, and some Front Line Assembly.

ClassyCanuck likes this.
  12. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Member

At the moment I'm listening to rain sounds... it's like white noise but less creepy. I can't usually write if someone is singing in my ear, well unless it is in another language... like JPop or Gaelic...
    My playlists dance all over the place from Iron Maiden, to Amanda Palmer, to Enya, all the way to High and Mighty Color...

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

If I'm writing, I prefer silence, but if I can't have that, I like the second movement of Beethoven's seventh symphony. Stately and understated, but beautifully orchestrated. Or the Adagio from Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez - a very beautiful musical statement. Pachelbel's Canon in D is another favorite in many versions.

If I'm not writing, I like all kinds of prog rock, folk rock, folk straight up, and some basic, lowdown rock'n'roll.

Things like death metal do nothing for me. Dance music, from disco to whatever they call it these days. House? Bass and drums? What? It's all unlistenable crap. It destroys my sleep and ruins my general peace of mind, and makes me fear for the future of the human race.

14. ManOrAstroMan

Sometimes I'll create a soundtrack of sorts for what I'm working on. I have playlists for fight scenes, character tracks, atmospheric playlists, etc.
    Oh, and @minstrel ? They don't really do House music anymore. The current fad is dubstep. It's actually more cacaphonous than anything before. (I actually like happycore).

15. SSJCalis

SSJCalis New Member

I used to be all Korn, Slipknot etc. but I've toned down - at the moment listening to Crossfade and Finger Eleven (their old stuff). But still get the blood pumping when some harder stuff comes on.

16. Rainer

Rainer Member

Heavy / power / thrash metal. Occasionally symphonic stuff like Within Temptation. I also have a thing for Eurovision entries.

17. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

I like to listen to many types of music. My preferred music though is compositions by Eric Whitacre, Morten Lauridsen, John Rutter, Daniel Elder, Maurice Durufle, Gabriel Faure, traditional and folk songs, some random pop songs, and classic rock (80s and 90s).

18. ManOrAstroMan

God, that's depressing.
    90's music is classic.

19. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

Hmm, I find it invigorating. I love the harmonies. If you look at the works in a writer's perspective, lyrically, the pieces are brilliant. Take Water Night for example, or Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine (both works by Whitacre). The lyrics to Water Night are an English translation of Octavio Paz's Agua Nocturna. My favorite line is, "And if you close your eyes, a river, a silent and beautiful current, fills you from within, flows forward, darkens you". Leonardo has poetic, descriptive, almost mystical lyrics telling of Leonardo Da Vinci's mindset while inventing his flying machine in both English and Italian. My favorite lines would be, "And as he's dreaming the heavens call him, softly whispering their siren-song," and "The very air itself gave voice". Dirait-on is a French piece by Lauridsen. Its lyrics are by Rainer Maria Rilke.
    I suppose it could be considered depressing, but I think it is better described as emotional and deep. The lyrics may be depressing, but the music makes it beautiful. I like Vivaldi's Gloria. That's very bright.

20. CurtisDawson

CurtisDawson New Member

I've been listening to Radiohead. Particularly the compact disc Amnesiac.

21. ADreamer

ADreamer Banned Sock-Puppet

... I can listen to pretty much anything and everything in between. As long as the person can sing - I have my uncle's ear [he is a music producer / audio engineer] for music; main reason why I can't stand 90% of modern bands/singers as they are mostly pretty faces + horrible voices /or garbage lyrics.

I am, however, biased to the European band that a long-time friend is lead singer of. And the band my uncle [mother's side of the family] is a member of. The entertainment business is in the blood on that side of the family, seriously, a large number of relatives on that side are into music - or acting [theatre & movies alike] or such things as Cirque du Soleil

I suppose the trend right now is metal/pop rock and orchestral. I keep finding myself listening to some of the themes Two Steps from Hell has produced - Immortal for one.