1. Shamgar81

Shamgar81 Member

what music fits your writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Shamgar81, Dec 16, 2014.

I am currently working on a short story and sometimes i get a particular style of music or genre in my head, do i try to fit that into the story? and what type of music is it for you, if it happens.?

2. rycbar123

rycbar123 Member

I usually listen to progressive rock (Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, etc.) while writing, but that's also what I listen to when I'm not writing.

3. Some_Bloke

Some_Bloke Active Member

I can't write without music. It really depends on the situation in the story but it's usually classical or rock.

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Music without lyrics works best for me (Or I end up singing along) so Apocalyptica works very well (Their earlier stuff)

I rather enjoy their speedier tracks for fighting scenes or their more "epic" tracks for character themes or just presentation.

Also, this is a huge inspiration for what I'm working on in WotW:

5. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

I write to music, but not for music. A big part of this is that Jack Asher does not listen to any music that I'm interested in.
    I'll let him explain it

6. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

I listen to music while writing, as said above it will usually be rock (Pink Floyd or Fleetwood Mac mainly) or classical.

I find that music in writing is often a distraction, and usually stems from the author interfering with the story because they are excessively pleased with their obscure music tastes. Music snobbery has always been tedious and it is especially tedious when it interferes with a novel I am reading. I frankly couldn't give a toss about what music the author likes.

cazann34 likes this.
  7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

id be here all day if i were to tell you lovely people what i use, so i will stick to one simple to use term: Metal (i should create a spotify playlist and link it)

8. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

Depends entirely on what I'm writing. Usually I listen to relaxdaily's calm, instrumental yoga-ish music, though that can't really set my mood for a fighting scene, a flight through a burning forest or a child watching his parents die at the hands of a killer. I mostly choose music that fits the scene, though it is always instrumental (not necessarily without a singer, since the voice can be an instrument as well).

And I always have practically zero volume. The music is there to drive my inspiration and move me into the scene, not to scare it away.

9. Shamgar81

Shamgar81 Member

would love to hear your playlist chaos:)

10. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

My music likes and listens are so patchwork it's kinda like my writing - lol. I like Christian music, 80s ska,
    goofy 80's, classical, Bob Dylan, the 70's, disco, vintage stuff like Ukelele Ike, Perry Como, Roger Miller,
    Doris Day. Oh and 70's lounge music from old Italian movies.

11. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Am I the only one who finds this question odd? What music FITS your writing? Perhaps it's the way the question is worded but I can't even think how to answer this. Many people have answered with what kind of music they listen to while writing but that isn't the question.
    The only way anyone could answer this question would be to match certain music with scenes they are writing. Dramatic music for intense scenes, gentle music for tenderer moments.
    Mostly I write to silence, but not entirely, the roar of the traffic passing my windows is constant but I manage to block it out when writing. Most, I'm sure will block out any music they have in the background to set the mood to write, so my thought is, why bother

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  12. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

Because for some music helps you relax and lets your mind wander. It's not all about hearing the notes and words, whether you block them out or not your unconscious self will still be listening.

13. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

14. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

Music involves a lot of emotion, and depending on what kind of music you listen to, it can help you to reflect that emotion in the writing. I've found a lot of instrumental and TV or movie soundtracks and scores are not only enjoyable but help keep my mind on task. If I have nothing to listen to, my thoughts often wander off topic and I wind up thinking about everything but the story. If I can get that emotion from the music, it drives my writing. So it's not so much fitting a work to the music, it's fitting the music to the work.

15. DennisWillis12

DennisWillis12 Member

Most of like to listen the music while writing or whenever we get bored. I think while writing everyone will like to listen slow and motivational music.

16. TOmRL

TOmRL Member

After the first track, the Silent Hill 2 album has some very helpful white noise kind of stuff.

17. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I usually maintain a playlist for each of my novels/stories that I write. I play the playlist over and over again when I need a little jolt, though I write best without music (I usually get writing with music and then turn it off when the words come naturally). The playlist may have thematic relevance, but usually it has to do with particular scenes or images in my head which excite me and give me muse to continue forward with the storyline. Sort of like the background tracks for the highlights of my story. I do not stick a particular genre; I usually randomly take up a new song or an old song I sometimes listen to with the novel, and then strengthen the association over time.

For instance, my playlist for my current novel includes:
    Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine
    Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine
    Climbing up the Walls by Radiohead
    Bailamos by Enrique Iglesias
    Cheating by John Newman
    O Death by Jen Titus