Tags:
  1. TrivialSpace

TrivialSpace New Member

The perfect pseudonym

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TrivialSpace, Sep 30, 2015.

Dear WF members,

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for my English. It isn't terrible, but my grammar can be awful sometimes. I realize that, at first sight, my request doesn't seem very fitting for this forum, but I am in seek of "creative guidance" and thought WF could help me.

Soon, I will embark on a creative journey, where I will express myself on the internet through short films, creative writing and other forms of art. I will be posting it on various sites and platforms. I can't come up with a suitable pseudonym/username to represent myself with, however. I've always been bad at coming up with names, but this case is especially difficult, since it will be a name many people will associate me with. You could view this problem as: you want to start a long-time book series, but can't come up with the name of the main character, or the name of the series itself.
    I will be combining my passion for video games with my passions for amateur filmmaking and writing. It may sound kind of vague, but I'm basically looking for a catchy and suitable username/artist name that I can use on various websites where I will post my creative work. I've come up with several usernames, but I'm not very satisfied with them.
    I used the following keywords as inspiration (some of them are just words/names I like aesthetically, others are words that are associated with my hobbies/personality). There is no logical structure:

- Frame(s): applies to both video games and filmmaking
    - Max: both as a name and as "the maximum of/to the max"
    - Felix / Ned / Solo / Noah
    - Fiction / Science-Fiction and other associated words
    - Speed / Fast / Energetic
    - Sketches / Comedy / Parody
    - Enthusiasm / Friendliness / Zeal / Impetus / Vigil / Braved / Bravely
    - Granite / Flint / Sentinel
    - Canvas / Twisted
    - Pretext

I was thinking about combining a name with a word, like VigilFelix, though it is't necessary. It doesn't have to include words from the list at all. The most important thing is that it sounds nice and appealing. It's a pro of course if the name has something to do with my characteristics, but by no means necessary. I've thought about alliterations, the length of the name, if a similar name already exist, etc.
    I've come up with only a few names. Like I said it isn't my strongest point, and I don't think they are very good.

- MaxFrame / TwistedFrame(s)
    - NedSkylark: sounds appealing, but maybe too pretentious. It also isn't descriptive at all, it's just a name.
    - MaxFiction : I like this one the most, though I don't know if it's original enough, or if it would remind people of an existant, popular name of an artist or company.

Does anyone like any of the above names? Does anyone have tips or suggestions, or maybe even the perfect name I could use? How would you come up with the name of the main character for a book series, for example? Don't you find it discomforting to come up with a name that you have to stick with for so long? Right now, I'm really frustrated that I can't come up with a good name to represent my artwork, writing and filmmaking with. It feels as if something really trivial is blocking me and that I won't be able to find the good name.

2. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

I don't think "MaxFiction" will stand out or be memorable. Both words are quite common. You may be on to something with "TwistedFrame(s)" and "NedSkylark" though. I feel as if both have potential.

TrivialSpace likes this.
  3. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

I wouldn't waste time trying to find the perfect username if it doesn't jump out at you. I think the meaning a name has for the audience will overwhelmingly build from what you post in association with it. You seem to have a fairly wide scope in mind, so there doesn't seem to be an obvious 'tag' to include.

That said, I'd personally steer away from the 'Max' names. That's been done so many times it won't be very distinctive. I like NedSkylark - it doesn't sound pretentious to me, and I'd argue with your claim that it 'isn't descriptive at all': skylark is a verb meaning 'to frolic, have fun, mess around', so it gives the name a playful vibe :)

TrivialSpace likes this.
  4. TrivialSpace

TrivialSpace New Member

Thank you both for your input. Yes, I agree Max is overused. I really like the way NedSkylark sounds, but I was afraid it might sound too pretentious or elite/elitist, though you disagree.