1. krobe74037

krobe74037 Member

what plotholes will i run into with this?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by krobe74037, Dec 7, 2015.

The story begins in the not so distant future on a freight liner with a conversation at some other person expense between the MC (at this time discontent with his life, job , and family) and a coworker moving freight crates with a flying futuristic ship. the coworker is operating the ship gets the crate about 50 yards in the air when a rift (or portal) develops in the front half of the crate being lifted then quickly going away. throwing the ship into a tail spin killing the operator. another portal opens closer to the liner throwing the severed piece of the crate on to the ship causing it to start to sink. our main character Ben frantically trying to get to safety from the sinking ship. during this time more rifts are opening and closing throwing whatever is in there wake all of the city and the bay. another portal opens close to Ben and through it he sees land and safety and decides to go through it. coming out on the other side Ben soon realizes that the place he has came to for saftey was not the same place he just was.

My main story is set in a steampunk like setting loosely based on Victorian London/gangster Chicago called Jasper City. the city is over run by crime and poverty but still some how able to sustain a shred of order. in the sky floats another city, a cyberpunk like place called tessanova. he soon finds out tessanova and it government are responsible for the collapse and decay of Jasper City.he is torn between trying to find his way back home (to his dimension not time) and to try and tip the scales in the correct direction for Jasper city. he decides to go with both plans. due to shortly after him arriving in this new place he has a break down and pratically levels a whole city block by powers he has not ever known and can control bestowed to him from who/whatever gave him the rift to Jasper city. He is seen as the 3rd person sent to try an liberate and lead a uprising against tessanove. the two before him failed to basically give a crap. and went on there own way when sent there. hence the arc title The good Samaritan.

I need to figure out why Ben seems so interested in saving this city, what Tessanova is doing to make Jasper the way it is, and honestly how to make a man travel to another dimension without being to cliche. other than that im more interested in other plot holes i may not see.or might run into. any feedback will be thanked! this will be a graphic novel so imagery will be done through illustrations.

2. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

I don't think there's anything wrong with him being concerned about the poverty and stuff people are going through, and him being guided by a sense of justice to help them. You won't know about plotholes till your story's done, or at least the outline. I don't do sci-fi, but dimension travel doesn't seem like it could be cliché since that's what's going to happen in your story -- it'd be like saying spaceships are cliché, it doesn't make sense.

3. krobe74037

krobe74037 Member

thank you for your input. ill get to work on my outline now.

4. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Perhaps only people who come through the rifts can acquire the power he has? This would make him the only one who CAN save Tessanova. Perhaps saving Tessanova would consequently end the destruction of Jasper City?