1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

What POV is this?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rumwriter, Sep 2, 2013.

I just read a short story called "Audio Tour," by Patricia Marx. Really short and nice, but I couldn't decide if it was 1st or 2nd person POV.

Basically the short story is you listening to a guided tour through an apartment. It sometimes feels like 2nd person, because it has sentences like "You will notice that blah blah," and "You should then proceed to..." (I just made those up), but the voice giving the tour (Debbie) also refers to herself frequently throughout the story, saying "I happen to know," or "I believe," etc etc...

I'm really just curious what sort of POV this is, as I may try to write something like this at some point.

Cheers.

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

A weird mixture of Second and First person? That's the only thing I could identify it as.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I think that's just 2nd person. If it's clear that the POV narrator is addressing you, the reader, as you throughout, it would be natural for the speaker to refer to herself as I when appropriate.

4. kburns421

kburns421 Member

I just glanced at the story, and now I'm curious, too. To me it sounds more like a monologue because it's kind of like a really long quote. It's someone speaking to you, the reader. I always thought 2nd person was more about your actions, like: "You walk down the hall and see a window. You touch the window to find it is covered in dust." I just looked it up though and, apparently, I was not entirely correct in my definition of 2nd person.

According to this site, I think it would be 2nd person: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person?page=all

5. GoodTweetyBird

GoodTweetyBird Member

It feels like a canned speech by a tour guide which make me think the guide is not a major character but more part of the background creating the setting. I think a lot more latitude can be allowed for background speech, etc.
    jh