1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Erato

Erato Contributing Member

What POV to use

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Erato, Mar 15, 2012.

I'm planning a futuristic story concerning people who haul fuel to provide the comfort of the upper classes. I've developed several characters, who are listed below, and I'm constructing a tentative plot.

Mel Simon, a Revolutionary
    Dash Getto (cover name), a Provocateur
    Tree Beals, a Simpleminded Hauler
    Wilfred Barrett, a Sunken Aristocrat
    Fidel Garcia, the Foreman
    Anton Posokhov, the Guard

Don't worry, they're developed much further than that. The character of Wilfred is part plot device, to provide a newbie who's unused to camp life, so that everything can be explained to him. ;)

The main question I have is, how should the story be narrated? I've ruled out first person, because I can't bring myself to choose one character absolutely over the others. I'm also tentatively ruling out 3rd limited, for the same reason. So do you think I should write it in 3rd omniscient, or switching 3rd limited?

The second question is, can you suggest a better last name for Fidel? (I mean, everyone is going to think Castro, but that is not what I had in mind.) I don't like Garcia because, like "Getto," it starts with a G and that's going to get mildly confusing.

Thanks in advance!

2. BlizzardHarlequin

BlizzardHarlequin Senior Member

I think 3rd omniscient would suit your story well. Also, when Fidel comes to mind I can't help but think of Viola.. see if you can see what I did there. (;

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

3rd person limited (switching between different viewpoints) tends to work well for sci-fi. I personally like it a lot because you get to see their different perspectives of the world, but you aren't as limited as with 1st person.

As far as Fidel goes, I think a longer name will 1) Distance your character from "Fidel Castro" 2) You can still start with G and it won't resemble "Getto."

4. Erato

You mean "fiddle" and "viola" as in the two instruments?

5. Erato

You mean "fiddle" and "viola" as in the two instruments?

6. BlizzardHarlequin

BlizzardHarlequin Senior Member

Correcto mundo.~