1. King_Horror

King_Horror Member

An Orc as the Main Protagonist

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by King_Horror, Feb 20, 2016.

So I've had this idea swishing around in my head for awhile. And I wanted opinions on how this sounds.

"An Orc, adopted at an early age, is raised in a human household. His foster parents name him John, and he is raised as a proper gentleman. John, at the age of sixteen, speaks perfect English, and is very well mannered. However, at age eighteen, the villagers of his hometown raise an angry mob and chase John out of his home. John flees into the wilderness, and comes across a secret Orc war camp. And it just so happens that they were planning an attack on his hometown. John now has the opportunity to attain vengeance."

Now this may seem a bit bland, but all I really need is a second opinion to, how should I say, "fine-tune" this idea into something spectacular.

2. bossfearless

bossfearless Active Member

Well, I would actually refer you to a webcomic called Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic (YAFGC). For the first few story arcs, the protagonist is exactly the guy you described. You could start there, if only for inspiration on how to handle common fantasy tropes in unexpected ways. Actually I think that the very first chapter is about a Beholder, but same difference. Stereotypical bad guy as the protagonist.

King_Horror likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I think it sounds good as long as you work it right. So be careful with it feeling comical in particular because that's a danger. Unless you're thing is supposed to be comical? I would, as always, advise that making this as a serious and intelligent thing a good way to do this concept would be to explore the emotional and circumstantial implications. Go deeper and harsher to make a serious concept rich.

King_Horror likes this.
  4. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

Like others have said before, make sure you work it out right and believable. Also, I wonder why his parents adopted an Orc when they knew their people would hate the kid? Also, did they hide the guy for 16 years straight, or does the contempt for Orcs the people have only come at a later time?

Make sure you tackle points like these. Otherwise, nice background for a story. If you make sure not to fall into traps of common tropes and overused things of fantasy, it could be very interesting and make for some interesting characters.

King_Horror and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. Judahml

Judahml Member

Hmm...this mat be completly off book from what you were wanting....but my first thought on reading it would be....
    Raised as a human, mob chases him out based on an increased number of local attacks by orcs (via greenwoods idea) John's adopted family die getting him out...he escapes to the woods and finds the war camp....possibly talks them into attacking g the village to get his revenge....after the attack he is struck by the horror of what he brought about....and this the moral dilemma of what side of this conflict he belongs on, thus possibly leading him to turn on the orcs at some point, maybe even finding a group within the orcs working to help himans, or joining a group who are put to save inocents from the war?

King_Horror likes this.
  6. SMScoles

SMScoles New Member

Perhaps he turns 18 and hits orc puberty. He starts to smell bad because of orc glands, he has a growth spurt and his nubby tusks suddenly elongate. Perhaps he flies into a rage a few times.

Someone bumps into his adopted mother and knocks her to the groind. Guy tries to appologize and help her up only to be shoved across the street by an enraged orc dressed in human clothes.

Combine that with him hurting a few children over the years, by accident and due mostly to his size and strength.

Maybe he wants to join the war party but warns his village and saves it because of his parents and those who spoke against the mob. Then goes on to become a great leader, but less mindlessly violent than the orc leaders if before. Maybe he forges some sort of piece as the great Chief.

King_Horror and Oscar Leigh like this.
  7. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

Alternative: some of the village girls find him exciting.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Robeey

Robeey Member

Sounds like a great concept! Love the story line. And in general, it sounds really good. I've been wondering on how to make Medieval type stories, because i love that type of genre, but couldn't figure out how, but thanks to you, now i do :D
    The only thing that kinda bugs me from this, is he fact that John is forced to run from the village, and he instantly comes across an Orc camp that just so happens to be preparing to attack his hometown. Maybe add something in between of that, to extend the story a little bit. But that's just my opinion.
    Good luck writing the story :)

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

If the OP is still working this story from Feb of last year, I would also suggest, just as reference, Netflixing Star Trek: TNG, with special attention to the character of Worf.

Now, obviously not exactly the same thing.

Obviously.

But a similar underlying premiss.

Simpson17866 likes this.